Healthy Gas Station Snack?

Options
Going on a long trip (by car). I'm sure some gas station snacks are in my future.... what are some healthy options?

Replies

• katiekiernan9322
    Options
    I love sun chips. I eat them for a snack when I have a couple of extra calories to spare
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Beer.

(Unless you are in one of those states that do not allow convenience stores to sell alcohol. F***ing commis!)
  • jamfan
    jamfan Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Unsalted nuts. You could pack some before you go too.
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    a lot of gas stations sell string cheese. I also love beef jerky but probably not overly healthy.
  • Omgsitsmanda
    Options
    I actually work in a gas station, and it is really REALLY hard on me with all the snacks in there!!

At my store, though, I'll usually get a V8 (They really are quite filling!), sun chips, like the previous reply mentioned, and we have all sorts of those 100 calorie snack bars (e.g. The Kellogg's breakfast crisp bars and such)

Can't forget the baked chips, too!
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    CORN NUTS!!!!
  • kmjacobs93
    kmjacobs93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    When my boyfriend and I travel on long trips and stop at the gas station as weird as it sounds, I usually get fruit. I don't know where you're going, but around here they sell fruit, and sometimes even veggies. I'm not sayin' they are all natural organic whatever, but hey! It's better than a bag of my all time favorite Dorritos. Also, I try to stay away from the beverage section, unless it's water or juice....or the sneaky diet pepsi that I'm going to get yelled at on here for :drinker: :love:
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    My on-the-road go to's are:

a piece of fruit (larger truck stops will usually have some)
    a protein or granola bar (but really read the labels!)
    V-8 or tomato juice
    beef or turkey jerky if I'm really needing a protein fix
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Sheetz has string cheese, fruit, and even yogurt! I'd go with that.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Forget the convenience store. Pack your own before you leave.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    That’s when you need to remind yourself: stop, take a breath, and look around. You’re likely to find some more nutritious snacking options somewhere between the lottery tickets and the beverage wall. In fact, we found 10 of them!
    1.Seeds – Most gas stations sell sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds, also known as pepitas, which make for a high-fiber, nutritious snack when portions are kept in proportion.
    2.Nuts – Think like a squirrel and look for cans of peanuts, walnuts, almonds, cashews or macadamias to nibble on. If possible, choose a low-sodium variety in a small handful.
    3.Cereal – Single serving boxes of whole grain cereals, such as Cheerios®, Chex® or Wheaties®, make a great crunchy snack. Or, add some…
    4.Dairy – Look around the dairy section for cartons of milk, cheese sticks, low fat cottage cheese, or single serving containers of yogurt, such as Yoplait® Greek.
    5.Fruit – Some gas stations may carry a limited variety of fresh fruit, such as apples or bananas. If not, dried apricots, raisins, dried cranberries and prunes (dried plums) are all a good snack option.
    6.Bars – For a more nutritious alternative to candy bars, grab some of those Fiber One® Bars or Nature Valley Granola Bars® instead.
    7.Jerky – While you wouldn't want to eat it every day due to its high sodium content, beef/turkey/venison jerky is a relatively lower-calorie, higher-protein snack option.
    8.Milk – Half-pint cartons of low fat milk are a good way to quench your thirst and increase your calcium and vitamin D intake.
    9.Juice – Skip the soda and look for 100 percent fruit juice for a tasty and vitamin-C rich way to hydrate.
    10.Water – Need we say more? Drink as much water
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Best
    ■Fruit Snacks: Fruit snacks are sweet and unlike candy bars, they’re not gone in one bite. Be sure to check that your snack is made with real fruit.
    ■Energy/Kashi Bar: Pair your bar with a bottle of skim milk and you’ve got a filling breakfast. Just be sure it’s made with lots of whole grain, real fruit and nuts.
    ■Deli Sandwich: If you don’t have time to pack your own, many gas stations offer pre-made deli sandwiches. Load your sandwich with veggies and opt for mustard over mayonnaise.
    ■Smoothie: If those 50 cent big gulp slushies call your name when you walk into a gas station, try going for a bottled real fruit smoothie instead.
    ■Single-Serve Cereal: Eating any single-serve, whole grain cereal gives you that crunch you’re craving and is already portioned out for you so you don’t have to worry about overeating.
    ■Water: Water is usually the cheapest drink at the gas station and quenches thirst like non-other. Staying hydrated also gives you more energy so you are awake during your drive.

Other Road Trip Tips:
    ■If you can, pack your own meals and lunch before you leave. This will save you time, money and calories. When we’re really hungry, we tend to make food choices impulsively. Keep a few healthy options on you, and you’re not only more energized throughout the trip but you’re also staying on track with your healthy lifestyle goals. In fact, many gas stations have microwaves available to take advantage of what’s available.
    ■Plan ahead. If you know you’re going to have to stop to eat at some point, plan ahead. Keep a list of restaurants that have options you know you like so you don’t have to guess when the time comes.
    ■Make time for Metabo! If you have an energy drink habit, try switching to fruit instead. Nutritious snacks such as fruit and nuts will give you that natural burst of energy you’re looking for–drink plenty of water as well.
    ■Notice that you feel sluggish and grumpy when you put lots of junk in your body. Instead of arriving to your destination feeling tired, get there energized and feeling great by making smart choices!
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Most gas stations have fruit up near the register now. At least around where I'm at. That's your best bet.

Or pack your own snacks, which would probably be cheaper and WAY better for you. No gas station snack is healthy.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Fritos.
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    pack yourself some food before you leave, that would be better....
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Ok, if you know you are going on a road trip, why not just pack of small cooler (I have an Igloo cooler than holds a 12pack) and fill it will waters or juices, fruit, cheese? With a canister of almonds and/or trail mix, you are all set. Why pay out the whazoo for gas station "health" snacks?
  • sarahDickson501
    sarahDickson501 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

This! even take a small ice chest if needed!
  • levicrouch
    Options

This! even take a small ice chest if needed!

+1
    The best defense is a good offense.
  • kiykiy79
    kiykiy79 Posts: 177
    Options
    Nuts, beef jerky, string cheese, protein bars... Water....
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I make it a habit to not eat from trash cans or gas stations. I just did a 2700 mile road trip, and didn't see anything resembling food once at a gas station, and driving a jeep, I got to see a few gas stations. I did hit up grocery stores there and got stuff that would keep, some deli meat, some fruit, some hawaiian bread. I also hit up butchers to get jerky.