Easy Vegan Tofu recipes

Options
MaryJane_8810002
MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
So lately I have been craving meat, I realized that I have neglected my vitamins for almost 2 months. I am tired of eating processed vegan food (Gardein) and would like some tofu recipes that vegan friendly. Please no judgments or thread hijacking for/against meatless lifestyles. Thank you for stopping by all recipes are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Anport
    Anport Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    http://www.cheekykitchen.com/2012/03/the-quickest-vegan-meal-ever.html
    This recipe by Cheeky Kitchen is probably one of my favorite things ever. I never cared for raw tofu unless it was cooked some form or another. And even then I rarely eat it. But I made this one on an apprehensive whim and it was SO GOOD. It calls for a lot of spices and fresh ingredients, and it makes all the difference in taste. Even my family loves it, and they have the exact same opinion on tofu as I do. I try to make this when I can because I almost always have all the ingredients in my fridge except for tofu. So it's incidentally also cheap for me as well!
  • Apocalypse_Meow
    Apocalypse_Meow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    check out theppk.com it's a vegan website and she makes everything from scratch so you don't have to use meat substitutes.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    http://vegweb.com is my favorite resource for vegan recipes. I've found several standbys there.

Here are a few links from my blog to several vegan recipes that you might like to try:

My favorite way to eat tofu (goes well with homestyle potatoes or over rice): http://lifeofahappymom.com/blog/2011/01/25/my-favorite-style-of-tofu/

Curried style tofu: http://lifeofahappymom.com/blog/2011/01/10/curried-tofu/
    We like this over baked cornmeal: http://lifeofahappymom.com/blog/2011/01/10/baked-cornmeal/

These vegan chicken nuggets are the bomb! http://lifeofahappymom.com/blog/2010/10/18/vegan-chicken-nuggets/
    (Too bad I can't eat gluten anymore!)

This makes a good roast and is easy to make ahead and reheat: http://lifeofahappymom.com/blog/2010/10/11/garbanzo-gluten-roast/

Soy Not-Meat (good in sandwiches: http://lifeofahappymom.com/blog/2010/10/04/soy-not-meat/

I made this recently with tofu instead of veggie hot dogs; it could have used more seasoning, but it was still delicious: http://lifeofahappymom.com/blog/2010/06/14/vegetarian-guiso/

Corn soy souffle... I really need to make this again! http://lifeofahappymom.com/blog/2010/05/10/recipe-corn-souffle/

That ought to give you some ideas!
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    http://www.cheekykitchen.com/2012/03/the-quickest-vegan-meal-ever.html
    This recipe by Cheeky Kitchen is probably one of my favorite things ever. I never cared for raw tofu unless it was cooked some form or another. And even then I rarely eat it. But I made this one on an apprehensive whim and it was SO GOOD. It calls for a lot of spices and fresh ingredients, and it makes all the difference in taste. Even my family loves it, and they have the exact same opinion on tofu as I do. I try to make this when I can because I almost always have all the ingredients in my fridge except for tofu. So it's incidentally also cheap for me as well!

This looks great! I'm definitely trying this! I'm not vegan but I love tofu. I do a lot of tofu and veggie stir fry and am interested in other good tofu recipes.

One if my vegan friends referred me to the website fatfreevegan.com for more recipes!
  • blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've only tried tofu a few times but last night I tried something simple. I cubed some firm tofu, put a little oil in a pan with some garlic salt and Bragg's Liquid Aminos (lower sodium than soy sauce). I just fried the tofu until it was nice and crisp on the outside and soft in the middle. It tasted great. I just ate it as it was but it would have been great in a wrap.
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    idk about a recipe per say...but a general suggestion for a vegan lasagna.

put your tofu (silken is best) in a food processor and pulse until smooth. add in oregano and parsley and cheese substitute if you use one.
    slice zucchini squash or aubergine lengthwise as thin as possible (use a mandolin if you can.)
    make up a chunky sauce, lots of peppers, mushrooms, olives...whatever works best for you.

thin layer of sauce (keep the chunks out!) in a large casserole dish. then proceed to layer zucchini/eggplant strips, tofu, sauce. cover with foil or parchment paper and bake at 350 for about 30 min. remove foil/paper and bake an additional 30 min.

mmmmml...lasagna!

(you don't have to salt the aubergine/eggplant prior to use. some people do find it a bit astringent, but i find that roasting it in with a tomato-based sauce usually tones it down.)
  • Anport
    Anport Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This looks great! I'm definitely trying this! I'm not vegan but I love tofu. I do a lot of tofu and veggie stir fry and am interested in other good tofu recipes.

One if my vegan friends referred me to the website fatfreevegan.com for more recipes!
    Totally agree, I'm not a vegan at all but that mock egg salad is bomb! I'll be sure to check out that website!
  • SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I just used flaxseed meal to bread some firm tofu the other night, sauteed it in a little olive oil and salt and pepper, was delicious. But you could add basil and garlic, or curry powder etc. Another easy one if just firm tofu and soy sauce, sauteed or baked or cold. Other easy ways is just adding your favorite seasonings to a bag throw cubed firm tofu in, shake and bake or saute. Just be sure to take Tofu out of the liquid and press it in a towel to get as much liquid out as you can before cutting it up. As for soft tofu, I just treat it like scrambled eggs, I don't have as much experience with it. :-)

Also just caught, and want to second what blood6338 said about Bragg's Liquid Aminos, I love the stuff and it's better for you then soy sauce. I use Bragg's as a salad dressing too. ;-)
  • cacleghorn
    cacleghorn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
  • nellysaurus88
    nellysaurus88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    http://www.olivesfordinner.com/2013/04/glazed-tofu-with-fiery-sriracha-pearls.html

I just pinned this recipe on pinterest. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems simple & looks amazing.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I adapted this from Allrecipes.com Fast and Easy Tofu Lo Mein

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/fast-and-easy-tofu-lo-mein/detail.aspx

I make it weekly and my kids eat it. You just have to plan for the sodium, as it is a little high.

Prep: Buy Lite Firm or Extra Firm Tofu and put the whole block in the sealed container into your freezer overnight. Next day, move to frige and let thaw. Mine usually takes 2-3 days to thaw inside my fridge. Freezing the tofu first gives it a nicer "meatier" texture. You can just stand over the sink and GENTLY squeeze it out a few times instead of placing between plates and towels.

2 Blocks Nissin Ramen Noodles
    1/2 Nissin Oriental Seasoning (from the ramen noodles packs)
    1 tbsp Olive Oil
    1 package Lite Firm or Extra Firm Tofu, cubed
    2 packages store brand frozen asian mixed vegetables

I have also used 2 packages BirdsEye Steam Fresh Asain Medley , but then I omit the ramen seaoning packet (or just add a couple dashes to the tofu. Or I use 2 pakages of the Baby Broccoli Blend with Edamame and the 1/2 packet of ramen seasoning (this one adds more protein). You can basically use whatever veggies you want. Sometimes I use fresh broccoli.

In a large skillet heat oil over medium to medium-high and add tofu. Brown tofu in pan for about 15 minutes, turning every now and then to get all sides brown. Meanwhile, microwave steam bags of veggies or cook whatever veggies you are using most of the way through, til they are almost done. Meanwhile, bring pot of water to boil and add the ramen noodles blocks. Boil 2-3 minutes. Drain. Set aside. (I try to time it so the noodles are done at the end of the tofu cooking time).

Add veggies and ramen packet to tofu mix and stir. Add ramen noodles and stir to coat. Done!

Serves 4

Stats will vary based on if you use packet or seasoned veggies but the last batch I made in myfitnesspal recipes was one with the two bags of the lightly sauced veggies and were:

377 calories
    44 carbs
    14 fat
    19 protein
    673 sodium
    7 sugar
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options

I make it weekly and my kids eat it. You just have to plan for the sodium, as it is a little high.

Prep: Buy Lite Firm or Extra Firm Tofu and put the whole block in the sealed container into your freezer overnight. Next day, move to frige and let thaw. Mine usually takes 2-3 days to thaw inside my fridge. Freezing the tofu first gives it a nicer "meatier" texture. You can just stand over the sink and GENTLY squeeze it out a few times instead of placing between plates and towels.

1 tbsp Olive Oil

I have also used 2 packages BirdsEye Steam Fresh Asain Medley , but then I omit the ramen seaoning packet (or just add a couple dashes to the tofu. Or I use 2 pakages of the Baby Broccoli Blend with Edamame and the 1/2 packet of ramen seasoning (this one adds more protein). You can basically use whatever veggies you want. Sometimes I use fresh broccoli.

In a large skillet heat oil over medium to medium-high and add tofu. Brown tofu in pan for about 15 minutes, turning every now and then to get all sides brown. Meanwhile, microwave steam bags of veggies or cook whatever veggies you are using most of the way through, til they are almost done. Meanwhile, bring pot of water to boil and add the ramen noodles blocks. Boil 2-3 minutes. Drain. Set aside. (I try to time it so the noodles are done at the end of the tofu cooking time).

Add veggies and ramen packet to tofu mix and stir. Add ramen noodles and stir to coat. Done!

Serves 4

Stats will vary based on if you use packet or seasoned veggies but the last batch I made in myfitnesspal recipes was one with the two bags of the lightly sauced veggies and were:

377 calories
    44 carbs
    14 fat
    19 protein
    673 sodium
    7 sugar

I bought 3 packages of ramen noodles before I realized that it contained lactose and beef extract.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options

1 tbsp Olive Oil

Serves 4

377 calories
    44 carbs
    14 fat
    19 protein
    673 sodium
    7 sugar

I bought 3 packages of ramen noodles before I realized that it contained lactose and beef extract.

Yuck, but I don't see beef or lactose in the ingredient list, is it titled something else?

http://www.meijer.com/s/nissin-top-ramen-ramen-noodle-soup-oriental-flavor-1-package-3-oz/_/R-118597

1 Package = 3 oz (85 g); Ramen Noodle Soup - Oriental Flavor. Oodles of noodles. 0 g Trans fat. Cooks in 3 minutes. Nissin Top Ramen is America's original ramen noodle soup and a family favorite since 1970. Top Ramen, for the very best in ramen noodle soup. Made in USA.

1 Package of 3 oz (85 g)
    Ingredients: Ramen Noodles: Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Vegetable Oil (Contains One or More of the Following: Canola Oil, Cottonseed Oil, Palm Oil) Preserved by Tocopherols and/or TBHQ and/or Ascorbyl Palmitate, Contains Less than 2% of Salt, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Potassium Carbonate, Sodium Carbonate, Sodium Alginate. Seasoning Mix: Salt, Soy Sauce Powder (Wheat, Soybeans, Maltodextrin, Salt), Monosodium Glutamate, Spices, Hydrolyzed Soy, Corn and Wheat Protein, Garlic Powder, Caramel Color, Onion Powder, Rice Oil, Citric Acid, Disodium Succinate, Dehydrated Leek, Calcium Silicate (Anticaking Agent), Disodium Guanylate, Disodium Inosinate.
    Preparation instructions: 1. Boil 2 cups water. Add noodles, breaking up if desired. Cook 3 minutes stirring occasionally. 2. Remove from heat. Stir in seasonings from flavor packet. To lower sodium, use less seasoning.
    Manufacturer: Nissin Foods (USA) Co., Inc.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    bumping this to save some recipes for myself. :)
    I'm vegetarian, but thinking of going vegan. I have a bunch of recipes on my Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/crista_b/living-the-veg-life/
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite quick and easy tofu recipes is "Tofu Skillet Scramble" from the cookbook "Quick Fix Vegan." It's got potatoes (we use thawed Meijer brand southern home fries to make it faster), roasted red pepper (sometimes we use a raw one), green onions, sun-dried tomatoes, nooch, fennel seeds, soy sauce, and other seasonings to make it YUMMO! We use half the oil that the recipe calls for and it ends up being 2 servings in our house at 373 calories each. Unfortunately, I don't have time to type it out now, but if you find the book on Amazon, you can click the "Look Inside" link and search for the recipe.

I'm actually making it for supper tonight, so it's in my diary if you want more nutritional info. Yummy!
  • MudDancer
    MudDancer Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cherylllyn
    Cherylllyn Posts: 114 Member
    Options

1 tbsp Olive Oil

Serves 4

377 calories
    44 carbs
    14 fat
    19 protein
    673 sodium
    7 sugar

Yuck, but I don't see beef or lactose in the ingredient list, is it titled something else?

http://www.meijer.com/s/nissin-top-ramen-ramen-noodle-soup-oriental-flavor-1-package-3-oz/_/R-118597

1 Package = 3 oz (85 g); Ramen Noodle Soup - Oriental Flavor. Oodles of noodles. 0 g Trans fat. Cooks in 3 minutes. Nissin Top Ramen is America's original ramen noodle soup and a family favorite since 1970. Top Ramen, for the very best in ramen noodle soup. Made in USA.

1 Package of 3 oz (85 g)
    Ingredients: Ramen Noodles: Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Vegetable Oil (Contains One or More of the Following: Canola Oil, Cottonseed Oil, Palm Oil) Preserved by Tocopherols and/or TBHQ and/or Ascorbyl Palmitate, Contains Less than 2% of Salt, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Potassium Carbonate, Sodium Carbonate, Sodium Alginate. Seasoning Mix: Salt, Soy Sauce Powder (Wheat, Soybeans, Maltodextrin, Salt), Monosodium Glutamate, Spices, Hydrolyzed Soy, Corn and Wheat Protein, Garlic Powder, Caramel Color, Onion Powder, Rice Oil, Citric Acid, Disodium Succinate, Dehydrated Leek, Calcium Silicate (Anticaking Agent), Disodium Guanylate, Disodium Inosinate.
    Preparation instructions: 1. Boil 2 cups water. Add noodles, breaking up if desired. Cook 3 minutes stirring occasionally. 2. Remove from heat. Stir in seasonings from flavor packet. To lower sodium, use less seasoning.
    Manufacturer: Nissin Foods (USA) Co., Inc.

Some Ramin Noodles do and some don't. Sometimes the same brand will have beef or chicken stock in it. Just read the ingredient list.