Runners, do you usually rest the day before a race?

Options
One of my friend's dads is turning 82 and we always do a birthday swim where we swim the number of lengths as he is old. His birthday is May 23 and we are doing the swim on May 24. It will be 82 lengths (2050 yards, which I can easily swim in under an hour) so nothing too crazy but it is the day before I was planning on doing a 10K.

I'm definitely doing the swim, just not sure if I should do the 10K the next day or skip it? I could do a different 10K a few weeks later but the one on May 25 is really close to my house. What would you do?

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Do them both.
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    If your intent is to just run the 10K for fun I would do it. If you have been training to do your best time I'd skip it and enter the one 2 weeks later. Yes, I take the day before every race off.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Most of the training plans I have been looking at show a short run the day before a race. I think you'll be OK as long as you are not pushing to the point of total exhaustion.
  • kjadkins428
    Options
    You'll probably be fine!
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have enough energy (calories) and do both! Take it easy and have fun! :-)
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster about going for a PR.

If you're trying to PR, I'd move the 10k but if it's just for fun, no big deal for you, leave it where it is.

However, I'm a weirdo and swim more with my arms (to get a better arm workout - said I'm strange) and would still go for the PR the next day lol
  • nicarey19
    nicarey19 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about posting a topic similar to this! I wanted to get some people's opinions. I like to rest the day before I race, I feel like I run better if I do that. But I know other's like to run the day before a race. My running plans have you run the day before a race, but I do that run a day earlier. Good luck with whatever you chose.
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    what an AWESOME way to celebrate someone's birthday!
  • stmcfred
    stmcfred Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Since it's a 10K you should be fine. Now if it were a half or a full I'd say no. :)
  • mgorosh
    mgorosh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should definitelly do both. Triathletes frequently do swims the day before a big race. Go for it!
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would be an issue even if you are going for a PR, as you are working different muscle groups, and you will have plenty of time to refuel your body.
  • brianfmatthews
    brianfmatthews Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I always rest the day before - been running for seven years now, and every training plan I follow has me resting the two days before the race.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Use a pull buoy for part of your swim at least.

how-to-train-with-pull-buoy-1.jpg
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I never rest the day before a race. I've been running for 9 years now and always run the day before a race. Depending on the distance of the race, I'll run anywhere from 3 miles prior to a marathon up to 10 miles or more the day before a 5K.

As others have stated, if you are going for a PR, it might be compromised (slightly, in my opinion) by the swim the day before. If it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to do both.
  • lindabee77
    lindabee77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ok, I think I will sign up for the 10K. I would rather do this one because I will know people there and money is for local adaptive sports program.

I will just rest on thurs and Sunday.