Exercising with small baby....

Options
I have taken the first step of a healthy life by joining WW and learning portion control. I have now been on that program for a week and I am hoping for some weight loss by eating healthier... I obviously know that exercising is a big part of losing weight as well and I am wondering how all of you mommy's came up with a workout routine when you have your baby. My daughter is 4 months old and I can't for the life of me get into a routine of working out all the time.
What do you do and how do you get it done? :)

Thanks for any answers! Feel free to add me!

Replies

• JoJo61612
    JoJo61612 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My baby is 10 months old. I'm a stay at home home and do Jillian Michael's 30 day shred during his morning nap. It's only 20 minutes, so it works out perfectly. Best of luck!
  • aoifebos1
    aoifebos1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My BOB jogging stroller is like my best friend! Also I am a member of the YMCA so they have a great child care which I love. I would suggest joining a gym with a daycare.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    when my baby was very small i did my stationary stepper in the bedroom for 30 mins and then some crunches while my husband watched the baby. when she got a little bigger i got a jogging stroller and did the c25k.
  • kaitlynsmom
    kaitlynsmom Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I work out when she is napping. Or I put her in her wrap and go for a power walk
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was that age, I did 30 day shred a couple times a week and walked a few days a week. Once she turned 6 mo I got a BOB stroller and I started running again. I love that stroller!!! It's hard getting back into the swing of things after having a baby. Most of your energy is going to the baby and all their needs. I have always found what helps me stay active is getting it out of the way first thing in the morning. When my daughter was younger and slept a lot, I'd pack her bag, get some workout clothes on, and go to the park to walk for an hour. She either gazed up at the trees the whole time or fell asleep. When we were done, I'd lay out the blanket and let her lay there or crawl around while we both had a snack :) She's 17 mo now and still loves going to the park with me.
    Just try your best to do what you can. It's ok if you don't get to work out every day! Eventually you will get back to where you want to be.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Medicine ball tosses...If you plan it right your strength can increase proportionally as the baby grows.
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    i have a 6 month old and work full time. Luckily baby sleeps all night, i get up at 5-5:30 and get on the treadmill, (he wakes up at about 7am) i do at least 20 min Mon Wed and Fri, wed nights hubby keeps baby and i go to Zumba class. Tues and Thursday morning i do Nike + Kinect. I just got a jogging stroller too... he likes it when i take him out in it. :)
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My gym has a daycare that i take my son to otherwise before i would plan in advance what exercise I'm doing and do it during a nap time
  • Amie_Girl
    Amie_Girl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Check your local recreation center or public pool. Lots will have a Mommy & Me session once a week.
  • PaigeAnderson100
    PaigeAnderson100 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the helpful advice.
    I have the 30 day shred video and taking her out for walks will work great once the sun starts showing more here in Minnesota for this beautiful wint...I mean, SPRING! :)
  • KateHill1981
    KateHill1981 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you want to get out, find a gym with a daycare.

Or you can turn playtime into a workout!! "Tummy time" can be mommy's "push-up time" or crunches. Lay on the floor next to your little one and do leg lifts, yoga stretches... sit with your legs spread as far apart as possible, put the baby in the middle facing you and try to stretch down and kiss your sweet baby. Lots of toning exercises can be done with babies around. Just use common sense and caution. Carefully hold your baby with both hands, extend your arms out, bring baby back in towards your face a nuzzle nose to nose- repeat 10 times. If baby drinks formula use bottles like a shake weight- shake with the left arm, switch and shake with the right arm. Get a stroller and go for a walk! Push your baby in a baby swing and do squats between the pushes. So many things to do...
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    My 13mo loves it when I do squats and toss him in the air... biceps are screaming after, but it's awesome. If yours is still tiny, you can actually do a lot with the baby as a weight or in a wrap. Mine thinks being upside-down or tossed in the air is the funniest thing ever, and laughs the whole time, so biceps, triceps, abs with weight and presses can all be made up but he's kind of a bruiser... Yours is smaller and will need more delicate handling, but she'll love the movement.
  • collegegirl713
    collegegirl713 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My little one is now 8 months and I used to do bridges and sit ups with her on my tummy looking at me while she was sitting up. I would count aloud and she seemed to really enjoy it. There are also some exercises you can do using your little one. I did some squats using her as weight or lifting her up into the air to workout my arms. There are plenty of little things you can find to do with your little one, so you don't have to feel guilty about not spending time with them. (When I went to the gym, I felt bad. You may not.)
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have a toddler and when he was a year old, I would just exercise when he went to bed. He went to bed pretty early..like 6pm. Now that he goes to bed at 8pm, I either wait till then or go on the treadmill while he is playing. Luckily, I have the treadmill in the main area of the house..so he plays where I can see him. Also, our older child plays with him during that time.

With you baby being 4 months old, maybe get a little jumperoo for her to play in. Then you can do a quick 20-30 min exercise while she watches you.
  • headertat
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. My baby is 9 Mo. And I have been wondering the same, granted we have a schedule set I'm not having problems having the energy getting the working out part done.