No clue how to report calories from my fancy meal

Options
Once a year the husband and I go out to a nice (read: $$$$) dinner to celebrate our birthdays and anniversary. This meal is usually a 10+ course tasting menu with wine pairings.

I know I'm going way over my calories, but I don't have a clue how to even try to report them. Most of these courses are little plates with tons of ingredients- I just don't know where to start.

Has anyone ever tried to figure out calories from a fancy restaurant meal? Should I just let it go for the meal?

For those interested, this year's "birthdayversary" dinner is the Deer Menu at Elizabeth: https://www.elizabeth-restaurant.com/website/menu

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd do quick add of calories only for the meal and guess high. If you're drinking, I'd try to keep track of the number of drinks you have and log those (it's probably easier to find your drinks than the food). It's one day. Eat the food, and move on. The exact number isn't going to impact the rest of the week if you keep to your deficit.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Just speaking for myself, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's a one time per year thing and it's a special occasion, it will be worth it. Just enjoy it! Maybe work out that day and eat a little less the days leading up to it, but I would suggest just letting yourself enjoy a delicious, expensive meal for one night and never feeling bad about it!!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    just let it go for one night and enjoy!
  • popsicklestar
    popsicklestar Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I just search mfp for some of the things I ate until the calorie count gets close to the amount I think I may have eaten. It doesn't matter if it's exactly the same thing. I try to think about what I ate in terms of protein, fat, carbs, and sugar, and log something for each of those categories.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    They list an email for menu samples. If you really want to try and figure it out email them to request the menu try to find out based on similar recipes online. Personally though I'd probably just enjoy it. It's a once a year event. :) Happy Birthdayversary!
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I'd quick add 2000 to 2500 calories for dinner and call it a night. Enjoy yourself, you said it's only once a year! But I would log what you thought was a ball park number.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'd add major ingredients, at least the ones that'll have high calories, a few servings of butter or oil, and call it good. One meal won't break you, but good job staying diligent with the cal counting!
  • Amy_Andrews
    Amy_Andrews Posts: 106
    Options
    First of all, let me say I'm so jealous! When we lived in Europe my husband and I did this annually too and I'm so bummed to live in rural Mississippi now where there's not a fancy restaurant withing a 2 hours radius :(

Second, although the portions are small, there is a TON of food. I'm sure you've never left a tasting menu still hungry. Also, many "fancy" foods are cooked in great butter based sauces, lots of wine and olive oil. Doing a basic google search said most of the well-known 10+ course tasting menus range from 2000-3500 calories (if you go for a seafood heavy tasting menu the calories will be lower).

I definitely think it being a special occassion you don't need to worry about the calories. I would work out that day to try and make up for some of the calories.

All in all, a much better way to spend birthday calories than with a walmart bakery cake! Enjoy:happy:
  • mrsTravo9112
    mrsTravo9112 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'd quick add 2000 to 2500 calories for dinner and call it a night. Enjoy yourself, you said it's only once a year! But I would log what you thought was a ball park number.

What she said... Enjoy - it's only once a year... Workout before & or drink plenty of water... Enjoy the time with your husband - One day can't do that much damage. Get back on track the next day!

EAT, DRINK & BE MERRY!
    :drinker:
  • csabernethy
    Options
    I feel your pain! I go to wine dinners, too, and it is very difficult to begin to "guess" what ingredients might be in each entree. Your best bet is to count the "easy" things, such as ounces of wine consumed, starch, protein, etc. that you are familiar with. My guess is that most 10-course wine dinners are at least 1500 calories, so when you get all done "calculating", just add a few hundred calories for the miscellaneous "unknowns". As in all diets, it's OK to splurge occasionally - just amp up your exercise a little bit for a couple days to make up for it.
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options

THIS
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options

Agree! Also, I looked at the website and omg I'm drooling now. You are one lucky lady! Enjoy your night!
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't record it. The amount of calories you'll burn when you eat with pinkies out will make it even.
    gentleman-t.jpg
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Just calculate what you can readily identify and enjoy your once a year indulgence. $$$$ are usually nicely portion controlled and not overly sauced, etc. I would pay particular attention to the alcohol consumption though so you can enjoy without overdoing it.
    :smile:
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy the meal and don't worry about the calories. It's once a year and won't make a difference in the long run. There is no race to the finish line here.
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Don't even bother to try is my advice ... You'll only get depressed which would ruin a lovely birthdayversary. Enjoy and move on tomorrow!! Happy birthdayversary :)
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I just would do a quick add with a guestimate...BUT dont worry about it!! Its a once in while thing so It wont ruin you to just guess :smile: :smile: :smile:
    congrats by the way :tongue:
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Call it 50,000 calories on quick add and then laugh your *kitten* off when it tells you that you'd weigh 1,000+ pounds in 5 weeks if every day were like today.

Have a blast and enjoy the date with your husband.
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy!!! And start fresh the next day
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Overestimate and move on.