Walmart.com Fraud

Options
Colli78
Colli78 Posts: 135
Just wanted to give all of you a friendly little tip.

If you have ever ordered anything from walmart.com and created an account, log into that account right now and delete the credit card number that they save. I wasn't aware that they saved each credit card you use to purchase items and I have become a victim of a hacker to that site. They ordered $3,200 worth of merchandise and it is being shipped to them at this very moment even though Walmart customer service assured me they were going to stop the transaction.

Guess watching what I eat this week will be a lot easier since it will be 10 days before the bank can refund my money. Wonder how many ways I can prepare Ramen Noodles? :angry:

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    While that sucks, that is why you don't ever shop on networks that are not secure or give out your debit card info to a site.

If you must shop online, either use a real credit card or use paypal or something.

Your lucky the bank is refunding your money.. they generally don't for debit cards.
  • Colli78
    Options
    I have definitely learned those lessons the hard way!! I will never make those mistakes again.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'll remember this for the future. I actually just replaced the last card that I used at Wal-mart.com so I'm not too concerned. That really sux that it happened to you.

If you live in GA, you can come to my house for dinner! :flowerforyou:
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options

If you have ever ordered anything from walmart.com and created an account, log into that account right now and delete the credit card number that they save. I wasn't aware that they saved each credit card you use to purchase items and I have become a victim of a hacker to that site. They ordered $3,200 worth of merchandise and it is being shipped to them at this very moment even though Walmart customer service assured me they were going to stop the transaction.

Guess watching what I eat this week will be a lot easier since it will be 10 days before the bank can refund my money. Wonder how many ways I can prepare Ramen Noodles? :angry:

hmmm somewhere saw a recipe for friend raman noodles! You deep fry them and then sprinkle the seasoning on them before eating them.
  • Colli78
    Options
    Ha! Thank you! I live in Memphis, TN but the package is being delivered to Flowery Branch, Ga. If I decide to go stalk out the recipients, I will definitely let you know! Thank you!! :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    While that sucks, that is why you don't ever shop on networks that are not secure or give out your debit card info to a site.

If you must shop online, either use a real credit card or use paypal or something.

Your lucky the bank is refunding your money.. they generally don't for debit cards.

I would never use a debit card that didn't refund fraudulant transactions. I've never found that to be the case, though. Some of them might make you responsible for the first $50, but if you don't have any fraud protection, then don't get that card. Check the cardholder agreement first.
  • grandma0561
    grandma0561 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    WOW thanks! I'm going to delete my stuff right now. I hope it's not too late ):
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Our credit card number has been swiped, too, and we tracked it down to Walmart.com as well. Pretty sloppy security.

Lesson Learned - Don't store your CC number on web pages!
  • Colli78
    Options

hmmm somewhere saw a recipe for friend raman noodles! You deep fry them and then sprinkle the seasoning on them before eating them.

That actually sounds kind of good! Won't be buying the oil from Walmart though!
  • Colli78
    Options
    WOW thanks! I'm going to delete my stuff right now. I hope it's not too late ):

They were apparently hacked pretty good back in January. They didn't let anyone know though. If you google "My walmart.com account has been hacked" there are pages and pages of people complaining about the same thing. So, check your accounts and statements. More than likely, it was just my turn that came up on the hackers list. I would really hate to see this happen to someone else!
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options

I would never use a debit card that didn't refund fraudulant transactions. I've never found that to be the case, though. Some of them might make you responsible for the first $50, but if you don't have any fraud protection, then don't get that card. Check the cardholder agreement first.

I agree, it doesn't necessarily have to do with whether it's debit or credit. I always use a debit card and I have never had any problems with getting an immediate refund. (My card number was stolen a few years ago).
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

My understanding too is that many debit cards only hold you responsible only for the first $50 of loss.
  • Colli78
    Options
    At this point, I'd be more than happy to pay the 50! 50 is nothing compared to the 3200!!!
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    At this point, I'd be more than happy to pay the 50! 50 is nothing compared to the 3200!!!

Be happy that you had that much to steal :tongue:

I hope your bank takes care of it soon for you!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Have you contacted your CC#?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

This. You need to report the card lost or stolen. The card company will refund your money and hold Wal-mart accountable for the chargeback. I actually used to work in this industry so I do know what I'm talking about. The victim is never held responsible for the money.
  • Colli78
    Options

Be happy that you had that much to steal :tongue:

I hope your bank takes care of it soon for you!!

Unfortunately, because I may be extremely stupid, my checking and savings account were linked. They cleaned out my savings. That's what really gets me.
  • Colli78
    Options

That was the very first phone call I made. Weird that my bank doesn't have a 24 hour fraud line, but I called them right when they opened the next morning. They are working on my claim. I faxed them the police report, so I hope that helps!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

My understanding too is that many debit cards only hold you responsible only for the first $50 of loss.

Some will, some won't. That is why I said to check the carholder agreement. They all have different rules.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

That was the very first phone call I made. Weird that my bank doesn't have a 24 hour fraud line, but I called them right when they opened the next morning. They are working on my claim. I faxed them the police report, so I hope that helps!

Don't worry. You won't have to pay for it. Just give them time to process it.