Evening snack after dinner?

Options
I have read many articles supporting having a small snack after dinner and before bed. It helps with metabolism. I have done that and have seen results in my weight loss endevour. My question to you is "What snacks do you eat before bed?" I'm just wanting some more ideas.

Lightly Salted Rice Cake, 2 tbs Natural Peanut Butter, drizzled with a little honey

1 cup of blueberries drizzled with a touch of cinnamon.

Replies

• allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I've heard that too about keeping the metabolism going from having to digest what it is you've eaten. I eat a snack at night mostly because I feel like it, but it's always fruit. I love fruit. I keep at least 10 different types in the fridge, so I have a bowl of mixed fruits.

BUT, if I have a substantial amount of calories I need to use, I'll have celery or carrots dipped in my homemade "peanut only" peanut butter or my homemade "almond only" almond butter. This is only if I have enough calories left though, because it's hard for me to limit my PB or AB.
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Junk atm . I save may calories all day for that lovely cupcake! It's not healthy but I look at it this way if I worked out and I have met my targets for nutrients and it keeps me honest all day. So I have a yummy treat!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I can't eat for at least an hour before going to bed-- just don't like the way I feel and it gives me weird dreams.

But after dinner, my snacks might include a piece of fruit, a bag of 100-cal popcorn, 3 Who nu chocolate chip cookies, a piece of toast with some honey or peanut butter, yogurt, low fat ice cream, or a beer or glass of wine. It varies.
  • MGreensides
    MGreensides Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I always have a "night lunch" it's something that I grew up with (raised in a fishing community and because the fisherman had early dinners there was always a night lunch) I like to have granola with yogurt and fresh fruit, or toast and tea.
  • megandme120
    megandme120 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I like cottage cheese, a few crackers w/ cheese , or a spoonful of peanut butter - something with some protein.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I often snack in the evening, so what I have varies. Nuts, peanut butter toast, yogurt, ice cream, granola bar, Pop-Tart, fruit, crackers. I usually check my macros, and if I'm short on protein will go for the Greek yogurt over the Pop-Tart. If I just need calories, though, anything goes.
  • asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    1 tbsp for special dark chips, maybe some peanut butter and an apple or banana. Try to stay away from carbs at night, once I start I can't stop!!!! Water!!
  • SewersofCasaBonita
    Options
    I prefer sopapillas.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Half a liter of vodka and Charlotte.
  • lmfujishima
    lmfujishima Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wine and chocolate! mmmm. Or almond crackers with some raw honey and cheese. I have a problem hitting my fat macro, so I might eat an avocado with some plain yogurt, or I make a hot drink with almond milk, dark chocolate, and some almond butter thrown in the microwave. I sometimes add stevia.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I usually have ice cream before bed.
    Or booze.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Most days I save calories to have air popped popcorn with a tablespoon of melted butter in the evening. I consider it another meal. Sometimes I save calories for something a bit less healthy in the evening, like wine and chocolate :)
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Something easy like fresh or dried fruit, Greek yogurt, 1/2 bagel, cheese, etc.
  • thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If I do weights / strength training that day, I eat protein after dinner, like a couple pieces of turkey breast lunch meat, or a light protein shake to help my muscle repair overnight.

Otherwise, I'm loving those Fiber One 90 calorie brownies and a cup of decaf tea...
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have read many articles supporting having a small snack after dinner and before bed. It helps with metabolism.
    I've heard that too about keeping the metabolism going from having to digest what it is you've eaten.

That's total bogus, lol. Show us your articles!

"Eating before bed slows metabolism and encourages weight gain, says Dr. Mark Hyman in his book "Ultrametabolism: The Simple Plan for Automatic Weight Loss." Get into the habit of eating dinner earlier and opt for a smaller, lighter meal to reduce the time and energy needed for digestion to allow your body to carry out its other internal housekeeping functions, such as healing, repair and growth."

What are the Benefits of not Eating before Bed
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/440180-what-are-benefits-of-not-eating-before-bed/

"For example, eating small meals throughout the day [is] one of the absolute worst things you can do for your metabolism. The goal is to eat...four meals every four hours," she clarified. "Cleansing and fasting: another horrible thing you can do to your metabolism. [It] makes the body store fat. You cleanse the body by eating clean food, not by fasting your system."

Jillian Michaels Exposes Common Dieting Myths
    http://www.etonline.com/news/130436_Jillian_Michaels_Talks_Dieting_Myths_Return_to_Biggest_Loser_Motherhood/index.html
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have read many articles supporting having a small snack after dinner and before bed. It helps with metabolism.
    I've heard that too about keeping the metabolism going from having to digest what it is you've eaten.

"Eating before bed slows metabolism and encourages weight gain, says Dr. Mark Hyman in his book "Ultrametabolism: The Simple Plan for Automatic Weight Loss." Get into the habit of eating dinner earlier and opt for a smaller, lighter meal to reduce the time and energy needed for digestion to allow your body to carry out its other internal housekeeping functions, such as healing, repair and growth."

http://www.livestrong.com/article/440180-what-are-benefits-of-not-eating-before-bed/

"For example, eating small meals throughout the day [is] one of the absolute worst things you can do for your metabolism. The goal is to eat...four meals every four hours," she clarified. "Cleansing and fasting: another horrible thing you can do to your metabolism. [It] makes the body store fat. You cleanse the body by eating clean food, not by fasting your system."

http://www.etonline.com/news/130436_Jillian_Michaels_Talks_Dieting_Myths_Return_to_Biggest_Loser_Motherhood/index.html

Geez, take a chill friggin pill or a steroid reducer. I said I heard it. I'm not inclined to get in a whose balls are bigger timely thing with you. It's what I heard, right or wrong. I also heard veggies are better for you than potato chips--ain't gonna provide you with documentation for that one either.
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    kale chips, cottage cheese, protein shake or a small bowl of cheerios are my night snacks :)
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    i like sugar free pudding or jello....or i like wech's fruit snacks that are like 80 cals a pouch.....but if you are wanting to eat better food then i would suggest like a cheese stick or celery with peanut butter(the peanut butter helps keep you full longer)
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

Geez, take a chill friggin pill or a steroid reducer. I said I heard it. I'm not inclined to get in a whose balls are bigger timely thing with you. It's what I heard, right or wrong. I also heard veggies are better for you than potato chips--ain't gonna provide you with documentation for that one either.

Thank you for sharing the article, but to be honest there are so many articles out there that support both opinions. There are so many articles out there to support why you should eat 500 cals a day and put drops of lady pee on your tongue, does that mean its the right way? To be honest if you feel a tad hungry before bed, eat something small.....if you don't then you can make the choice rather or not you want to eat or not. But hey, i'm no physician, and neither is Jillian Michaels

*I do like Jillian Michael, but to be honest she has a body cleanse out there, so how reliable is her argument when she sales the very thing that she says is bad for you
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Congrats on correcting misinformation with more misinformation.

Livestrong and Jillian Michaels are far from reputable sources.