P90 - Take 2.

Options
Griath
Griath Posts: 13 Member
Tried the beach-body Power 90 workout regime once before, managed to get about 40 days through but unfortunately I fell ill and didn't decide to pick it back up after. Losing over a stone during it is a main motivator to get back on it! Basically started from zero (very unfit, around 17st) I've managed to stay around 15st 5 (lightest I've been since early teens). Being lighter and feeling the difference, the time has come to make an effort to lose more.

I've been using myfitnesspal for well over a year (on and off) but never posted or stepped into the social side, so here's a first :)
Starting date will be the 28th of April making my rest days Saturday, making the end date (if everything goes without a hitch) July the 27th.

Any advice for following through this second attempt or encouragement will be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Butyou
    Butyou Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad about not making through P90x. I have started it 3 times. 1st time I made it a month. Next time I made it a week. This time I had to stop for 3 weeks because I hurt my knee going to deep in lunges. OPSE....
    I'm back doing it and I feel great about it!
    "Just do your best and forget the rest" Said by Tony Horton.
  • italral
    italral Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Power 90 and P90X are two totally different beasts. Gregorah, I feel your pain. I've owned the Power 90 series for almost 10 years now, and have never made it past 60 days. I too kinda feel my fitness is back at zero, but the results of the program should be motivation enough. Looking at your post, and seeing if I start now, I would finish a few days shy of my birthday, and what a gift I could give myself being in better shape. You and I seem to have similar situations. I too have been with fitness pal for a while, but this is my first time coming to the boards.

So, I propose this, let's be Power 90 buddies, make our own challenge, anyone else can join in if they want. We can keep each other motivated, make sure we're doing our workouts. They say if you have someone counting on you, you're more likely to do the work. And I'm in need of motivation as well. What do you say?
  • Griath
    Options
    That sounds like a great idea Italral, I'm up for that.
    You say you've made it to 60 days before, how was it switching to 3-4? I remember falling short of the switch by about a week!

As was mentioned, the P90X is indeed very different! But I believe your sentiments remain the same Butyou, thank you for relating and I hope that knee doesn't give you any more trouble.
  • italral
    italral Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The switch to 3/4 was not too terrible, I think I was only on it for a week though, so I can't really say for long term. It was nice though changing it up. Different actors, moves, etc. Looking forward to it now!
  • albopballer
    albopballer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm glad there are some others here on MFP that are doing the Power 90 wokout regiment. Tommorow will be day 60 for me and I haven't missed a day. I think for me the eating is the harder part, however - one thing that I've noticed over the last 7-10 days is how hard it is to get started sometimes. I feel as though I don't want to and a lot of that is contributed to the fact that the program is the same every other day, day after day.

Some things that I did that have helped to counter that constant repetition of Sculpt 1-2/Sweat 1-2, and now 3-4 is on weeks 3&4, 7&8, and soon to be 11&12, I have/will add(ed) the Fat Burner Express Dvd to add a new workout. All i did for two weeks is alternated it with the sweat routine, so in a 2 week period I did it 3 times. This definitley helps to break up the repetition. I am currently on week 9 so I am trying my hardest to stay the course and make it to week 11 when I add in the Fat Burner Express dvd.

As far as 3/4 is concerned, the problem I have in the 3/4 phase is doing the sweat 3-4 routine 1 day after the Sculpt 3-4 because you blast your legs so much that it kinda hampers you from keeping proper form in Sweat 3-4. I'm getting better and getting stronger/more endurance but its still sometimes a pain!

I think the program is great, but I am honestly pretty stoked to start the Power 90 Master Series. 5 total different workouts!

Good Luck to all of you on your new POWER 90 journey. Just press play! Cheers!
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hey all. I'm on Power 90 week 5. Still doing the 1/2 Sculpt and Cardio disk, and probably won't be going to the 3/4 disk until week 7 at the earliest.

I want to be able to mirror the "kids" on cardio without hitting pause before moving on. Right now my arms stop going up and down about half way through the knee lifting section, I hit pause after doing run-lunges followed by jumping jacks, and I can't keep up the cross box hopping. Almost makes me tired just typing that!

As far as sculpt, I started out doing girlie pushups (knee pushups for you non-sexist folks) and have been adding military style pushups as I progress. Once I can do all the pushups like I did back in basic training, then on to the next sculpt disk.

I'm curious what weights people are using. I use 15lbs as the default, but drop to 8's on the Tricep-raise, kick-backs, and the Shoulder flys. I go up to 25lbs for heavy pants and lawnmower. I'm not sure if I'm overdoing it, since the sculpt tends to be as much of a cardio workout as cardio!

Nice to see others here progressing down the same road.

PS: Ordered the Master's Series disks just this morning as a bit of further motivation.
    PPS: I'm going to miss Lisa. ;-)
  • lesspaul
    Options
    Last Sweat 1-2 for the week. I've got at _least_ one more week of 1-2. I still can't keep my arms moving on the knee lifts, nor come close to their pace. I do pretty good on the kicks and punches, and do a fair job of muddling through Power Yoga and Abs 100.

Tomorrow is last Sculpt for the week, with Sunday as my rest day.

It seems to me that every Monday I do better than the Monday before, then through the week the wind leaves my sails until I am again able to enjoy a rest day. That makes it harder to muster the motivation for the last Sculpt and Sweat, other than the thought "One more week under my belt."
  • Griath
    Options
    That's a great effort guys! Also some great advice albopballer, I'll certainly refer back to that when I make it onto 3/4
    @Lesspaul, I had great difficulty keeping my arms going up and down for the duration and found it wasn't really worth it in my opinion, and I certainly felt overexerted on jumping jacks and cross hops, just hoping it gets easier this time around!
    I started P90 back again today as planned, can hardly move my legs! Only 89 days to go. :laugh:
  • lesspaul
    Options
    An amazing thing happened. My wife decided to give Power 90 a try. She is already a great weight, but has long lamented a lack of upper body strength, agility, and flexibility.

So apparently I must be showing some results, because she decided to do Sculpt with me on Saturday. I am slowly learning in this life, and put "helpful husband mode" in neutral and let her figure things out on her own. Tony does a fine job of explaining and after all, even *I* am managing to learn to do it right.

So afterward she said that it wasn't bad like she had anticipated, and is considering doing the entire program, no just Sculpt.
  • Griath
    Options
    You know you're doing well when other people want to copy what you're doing!

Also a quick tip that people might not know concerning the P90 Workout Manager excel spreadsheet, if your 'Sculpting Tracker' graph is a bit messed up like mine was (key/legend overlaying the graph), the password to unprotect the sheet should be:
    AAAABABBAA/

^In caps and including the forward slash. This allows you to reposition whats needed or edit anything else you'd like, but you should make a back-up of the workbook before unprotecting just in case. I take no responsibility if something goes array! :tongue:

In other news, day 3 complete and I'm aching like mad, walking like a cowboy with a mild vitamin D deficiency, but feeling good after workouts so far!
  • chrisrn30
    chrisrn30 Posts: 12
    Options
    Is it okay to repeat this work out?? I'm on my last week of the program and I'm not yet satisfied with my body (I'm not good at dieting at all!!)

I've lost a couple of weight but I'm hesitating to start this 90 day program again but this time it will be 3-4, I did 3-4 in about a week and can't handle it, should I restart the program again using 3-4??.

thanks! cheers everyone!
  • lesspaul
    Options
    Chris -- I see no reason not to keep going for as long as you want with Power 90. Because of health issues and being so terribly out of shape I am still on level 1/2 here in the middle of week 6, and I don't expect to graduate to 3/4 until week 8 or 9.

So my "Power 90" is really going to be "Power 120" or more. I'm going to stick with it until I feel that it is getting too easy. Then I'll move on to the "Masters Series."

Minor setback yesterday. I had to go to a podiatrist for a foot issue I've been ignoring for years. Turns out that I have "Morton's Neuroma" which is just a fancy way of saying that I have an irritated nerve in my foot. First line treatment is to try a series of cortisone shots, the first of which I was given yesterday, along with the admonition "stay off that foot for the rest of the day, then go back to normal tomorrow."

Well, seeing as I had yet to do my Sculpt, that kinda put the kibosh on yesterday's P90 workout. I hate being interrupted when I'm on a roll. Since my cardio fitness is more a limiting factor than strength, I'm going ahead today with my regularly scheduled Sculpt. Hopefully sans foot pain.
  • chrisrn30
    Options
    Good to know, yeah the Sculpt 1/2 is getting easy for me specially the push-ups I still feel the burn thought but it's fun to know that I can do more than before I even started using the program, I might do 180 days, I'm going to finish my week with levels 1-2 only and resting for about a day or two then starting another 90 days of 3-4. I don't drink any diet supplements before I just got one last week so might as well take it with the work out.

and get well soon bro hope doesn't get worse.

thanks again and Cheers!
  • Griath
    Options
    You go Chris! I imagine 90 days of 3-4 will be a great accomplishment. Pacing yourself will be key to sustainability me thinks. Keep us updated as I'm keen to know how you get on!
    Is there a knack to doing the pushups? I might be doing them wrong, I sprained my left hand a while ago doing them. I still can't do proper push-ups at the mo, so I stick to half pushups. I find the close together pushups terribly hard even at half level. Everything else I can get through just fine.

Sorry to hear that Lesspaul, I hate messing up a streak so I can relate. It's why I didn't start from where I left off when I became ill. I'm sure you'll be paying special attention to Tony when he says low impact with that poorly foot!

On this side, I've completed my first week (currently enjoying my rest day) and lost 6lbs :drinker:
  • tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options
    Hi everyone. Congrats to all of you for doing this program. I never did Power 90, but I have done multiple rounds of P90X, P90X Plus and P90X2. I am also a Team Beachbody coach so feel free to send me a friend request or otherwise contact me if I can help out with anything.
    Best of luck to all of you and keep pushing PLAY!!!!

Joe
  • chrisrn30
    Options
    Thanks man, I missed the supposed to be last 2 days of the work out imma do them today and tomorrow (which will be the last day of the p90 *picture day*).

I had hard time too do the push ups at first and tried to do the half push ups for 45 days and gotten used to them just don't over do it *tony horton said* lol.

there's no trick actually you just have to get use to it like take the shoulder flys, lawnmower and the "pulling pants up" work out seriously it helped me a lot since it is a back exercise made my upper body stronger, that's what I figured out when doing my work outs oh yeah I really the "close push ups" that's the only thing I like and fly push ups I usually go 15 reps but I push myself to 20 reps instead of 15. I think on 3-4 you have to do it like till you can't do it no more.

@tacguy: yeah I want to try it but on the reviews I feel like I'm not or my body is not yet prepared for that kind of workout since it I am still quite big but not as big as before, maybe when I finish my p90 -34 workout i'll probably will get that p90x.
  • FitCoachShawn
    FitCoachShawn Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    It really helps to have a motivational group! People to help keep each other motivated. Wouldnt mind adding some folks to facebook. I will do my best to help you stay motivated :) Thats what I hope we are all here for ! To help one another!
  • mikeyh12
    mikeyh12 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Having support or some group of people is really the best way to do it. I completed P90X and it was because I did it along with other people that held me accountable and we all had that goal to finish. Good Luck