MFP got me fired!

Options
124»

Replies

• TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    A little basic Internet 101 might be in order.

When you hit a web page (open, refresh or click a link, whatever), data is sent between your computer and the server. It all happens in a matter of moments and the connections are closed. This is generally how web based internet works. Your IT department can monitor and log these connections at the router. Unless you're company has monitoring software on the computer itself, they have no idea what windows you have open in your browser, except for those momentary connections.

If you have MFP sitting open on your desktop for hours on end, doing nothing, nothing is happening and and there is nothing to be logged. It's only when you are actively using it that connections are being made. So the person who is claiming to be fired had to be actively using MFP, a lot, to show that much internet usage. When I was the IT Manager, I would have reported that level of activity to the persons supervisor and Human Resources. At that point, it is up to them.

Personally if I were an employer and I had a guy who spent his entire day doing ANY personal stuff on the internet and not working, I'd fire them too. A person who hit MFP a few times a day, maybe even a couple dozen times a day? No big deal. But then, I'm not his (former) employer.

Thanks for this. A lesson to all. Or me, at any rate.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Oh my!!! Hope mine is never audited...think I had better start using my phone..logging off now :sick:

Maybe it's just me, but I can't see the forums from my phone app. Of course, the forums are what're going to get the majority of us in trouble.
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Oh my!!! Hope mine is never audited...think I had better start using my phone..logging off now :sick:

Maybe it's just me, but I can't see the forums from my phone app. Of course, the forums are what're going to get the majority of us in trouble.
    You have to go through the internet myfitnesspal.com then you can access the forums.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    It would be a good idea to not use a work computer for personal stuff , save the personal use for home.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    What's that you say? You had a job where you could use the internet, and you chose to d!ck around here instead of doing what you were actually being paid to do? Cry me a river, the only time I get to use a computer at work is to scan an item and find out its location and ordering history, and I don't even get to sit down during said use. Maybe you need a job like that to keep yourself honest on the clock :tongue:
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You seem awful happy about this...are you really serious about getting fired or are you just messing with everyone? If it had gotten me fired, I know I wouldn't be happy about it at ALL!

Coping mechanism

And yet you're here, still, instead of applying for another job... lol
  • kad7465
    kad7465 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Me too I just joined and I am trying to get all the info I can.. Not my fault if they have nothing for me to do.. OH Crap better watch it hey. Sorry about your job probly wasn't that great anyway, if you had so much extra time..should have gave you more to do.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    What's that you say? You had a job where you could use the internet, and you chose to d!ck around here instead of doing what you were actually being paid to do? Cry me a river, the only time I get to use a computer at work is to scan an item and find out its location and ordering history, and I don't even get to sit down during said use. Maybe you need a job like that to keep yourself honest on the clock :tongue:

So true. Can't feel bad for you given the people I know who need a job and will actually work during the time they are being paid to work. At my job we do sometimes get down time where there isn't anything to do, but knowing how much your computer usage is watched in the workplace nowadays, I keep that stuff to my iPad and smartphone. Besides, the same things get posted on these forums so much that I find I get enough forum time during my lunch break to pop in and see what's up.
  • rejordan
    rejordan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Im logging off right now! Holy baloney Batman!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    An audit of computer use by my employer revealed that I spend 7 hours of my work day using the computer for personal use, mainly the MFP site. Thanks alot MFP!!
    On a positive note, they're now hiring!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    lol good, you're clearly a useless worker with a crappy work ethic if you spend 7 hours of an 8 hour workday on this website

You assume I work an 8 hour day. Maybe 7, 10, 12?

It's an addiction and the employer should help the employee. Are there weekly meetings for something like this, you know like AA.

even worse if it's 7 out of 7 hours, and even if it's 10 or 12 it's still more than half. internet use can definitely be addicting, but i still stick with my theory that your work ethic sucks if you're screwing around on forums more than half your work day instead of being paid to do your actual job. hopefully this thread was a joke though because if it's real, it's pretty sad.
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Whoops...
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread of mine has resurfaced.!!