If you were me....

Options
13mjames
13mjames Posts: 17 Member
Ok heres my situation. I am female, 33, 150 pounds. I do the insanity program as laid out, plus I lift weights every other day. How many calories would you eat if you were me and trying to lose a few pounds?

I am currently eating low carb (and no, I didnt count calories with it), but have not lost a pound. Somedays I feel smaller, others not so much. I cannot do measurements as I cannot seem to place the tape in the same spot twice in a row, grr. Any imput on where I should be aiming for calorie wise would be much appreciated!!!

Replies

• Seraphemz
    Seraphemz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • 13mjames
    Options
    Sorry ya that would help...5'8 and a half :)
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    the easiest way is to go to scoobysworkshop.com fast calorie calculator. its based on your age, height, weight and activity level and percentage you want to reduce too. that is how I find my proper calories. insanity I would say would be strenous for the work out. without knowing your height it would be hard to access.

some other suggestions will be in place of a road map everyone suggests that

or eat more to weigh less group.
  • jaybaack
    jaybaack Posts: 15
    Options
    I am currently eating low carb (and no, I didnt count calories with it)

I am not trying to sound harsh, but, if you do not track your eating, how do you know you are really eating low carb?
    Throw the values into myfitnesspal and use that to determine what you are really consuming, I bet that will throw some light on the lack of weight loss.
  • SALSACHICA1
    SALSACHICA1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and I weigh a bit more than you 167... I would suggest eating more, and remember that some carbs help you to burn fat, so sweet potatoes, red potatoes, and natural foods that have carbs in them help to decrease size, and at this point, you are more in the toning area so you might not see results right away, try using goals like how many push-ups or sit-up or the Fit Test improvements as progress and you will naturally start to see the inches come off.
  • 13mjames
    Options
    I knew I was going to get flak on not logging but I pretty much eat the same foods everyday and I know they are low carb...fried eggsfor breakfast, tuna with mayo for lunch, a bit of chicken or pork loin for a snack and dinner is meat and salad with italian dressing. I might have a snack of a few slices of lunchmeat or another salad in the evening. I cant see any carbs ssneaking in but I am going to try logging again just to make sure over the next week.
    I realize Im in the 'toning' zone rather than the scale going down so much area...but I would think with all this excercise and lowcarb I would at least drop a pound or two... been lifting since February, started low carb and insanity April 1st...
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Doesn't read like you are eating enough...at all.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Your body may be where it wants to be. You are without a doubt getting toned and fit. That may be the most important thing. I would have someone else measure you it is so much easier than trying to measure yourself. You may want to think about shaking up your diet some and not eat such a limited diet it might kick start your body into moving the scale. Add some good complex carbs like like lentils, whole grain ect. Good luck and good health!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    A target of 2100 calories daily, every day; don't eat exercise calories back. It should take about 2-3 months to lose 6-9 lbs (about 3 lbs/month). I can't imagine you want to lose much more than that at your height.

Oh, and aim for 120g protein daily. Ignore carbs and fat for now.... just hit that protein target and 2100 calories daily and I'll bet you'll see improvements in your body composition. After those 2-3 months, slowly back off the cardio, go for weights only (unlessyou just love the cardio) and bump up maybe 100/day with only 3 hours of weights weekly.

That's my recommendation fwiw...
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" weighing 160. I try to eat any where from 1550-1820 (zig zag depends if I eat back all my exercise cals)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I knew I was going to get flak on not logging but I pretty much eat the same foods everyday and I know they are low carb...fried eggsfor breakfast, tuna with mayo for lunch, a bit of chicken or pork loin for a snack and dinner is meat and salad with italian dressing. I might have a snack of a few slices of lunchmeat or another salad in the evening. I cant see any carbs ssneaking in but I am going to try logging again just to make sure over the next week.
    I realize Im in the 'toning' zone rather than the scale going down so much area...but I would think with all this excercise and lowcarb I would at least drop a pound or two... been lifting since February, started low carb and insanity April 1st...

Do you know how many calories that is per day? (it's hard to judge without amounts of each) How much were you eating before and for how long?

If you are eating at maintenance you could lose inches without losing weight while doing these types of workouts and eating high protein. You say you can't accurately measure, but can you tell any difference in the mirror or fit of clothes?

ETA: Do you know your BF%?
  • bekah818
    bekah818 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    At 5'8 and 150lbs, you're at a healthy size to begin with. Since you want to lose a couple lbs, I'd say do a 1600-1800 calorie diet of clean/healthy eating. That's just my opinion. Combine that with working out 4 to 5 times a week for 60 mins.\

and PLEASE don't cut out carbs! carbs and protein are needed to lose weight! But you can cut the fat calories down and stick to foods that are high in Monunsaturated and Polyunsaturated fat.
  • 13mjames
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :) I dont know my bodyfat, as for how my clothes feel, they do fit better so Im sure ive lost an inch or two, I justcant understand how the scale hasnt moved at all. I ate pretty bad before all this, around 3000 calories most days. I think I will try bigmacks recommendations for the next month and see where it gets me.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    1700 works fine for me.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    So it looks like you know where you want to get...

However, it sounds like you aren't tracking any data, so without data you have no where to analyze from and make adjustments as needed. So, with that in mind, you can make changes, but you have no idea what the net effect will be, or what to expect.

My suggestion, and it's a Hobson's of course.

- Track your weight, measurements, and intake. Get help if needed.
    - Track intake over a long period.
    - Determine caloric need, research your personal needs to reach your goal.
    - Move forward, using that data to consistently track your performance, changes, and intake.
    - Adjust as needed.
    - Review periodically, and adjust goals as appropriate.