chicken wings

Just wondering just how bad these are for you. Is it the sodium levels or the fat content.

Replies

• mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    As a wing lover myself I think it's a bit of both. I still eat them, just not as often and not as many. I've gone from sitting and eating 24 to only allowing myself 10.
  • Prettymisssparkles
    Prettymisssparkles Posts: 1,274 Member
    <3! Love love love hot wings!!! I crave the heck outta them every few weeks. Can usually only eat about 6 of them. But yeah I think it is both sodium and fat that makes them bad. Sooo bad but sooo good! Haha now I want some :P
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    i just had some for lunch :)
  • mreeves261
    Dang it!!!! Now I want hot wings!!!
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    yes please! i want some! i don't want to know how bad they are- i allow myself to eat 4-6 every week because i love them so much!
  • kmc979
    kmc979 Posts: 99 Member
    mmmmmmmm now i want chicken wings! i make my own at home, i bake the wings and use franks red hot buffalo sauce.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    It's the fat content ..... most of which is in the skin.

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-fast-food-chains-restaurants_c-Y2lkPTIx.html?bid=1596

Boneless, skinless wings won't be much better if the breading is thick (holds more fat) ..... extra crispy anything .... ugh!
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    I use this recipe...http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/buffalo_wings/ These are baked, not fried. Not sure about the stats, but I eat them every couple of months.
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Who cares how bad they are ... Chicken Wings are AWESOME & DELICIOUS and they go Perfect with BEER!:drinker:
  • mreeves261
    mmmmmmmm now i want chicken wings! i make my own at home, i bake the wings and use franks red hot buffalo sauce.

Well that just got a Pavlovian response!:love:
  • RobertHendrix
    RobertHendrix Posts: 98 Member
    Get some skinless wings and bake them and then use this sauce to coat them

This should make enough sauce to coat about 18-24 wings

3 T Unsalted Butter - 305 calories, 35g fat, 0 carbs, 5g sodium
    3 T White Vinegar - 0 cal, 0 fat, 0 carb, 0 sodium
    3 T McIlhenny's original Red Tabasco Sauce - 0 cal, 0 fat, 0 carbs, 315g sodium

melt butter in sauce pan stir in vinegar and tobasco

total nutrition for sauce
    305 calories, 35g fat, 0 carbs, 320g sodium
  • TheApocalypse
    TheApocalypse Posts: 319 Member
    I think this is what heaven must be like...
    ows_136072335685757.jpg
  • Best way is to cook them in the oven. You can slap on a little Barbeque Sauce for flavour. Limit yourself to no more than 5 on a bed of green salad - no dressing if you can.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    This is the one and ONLY food I have denied myself and it's because I don't want 4 or 6 or 10. I want 30! I don't know what it is about them....
  • Prettymisssparkles
    I think this is what heaven must be like...
    ows_136072335685757.jpg

OHMYGOSH! I am so getting wings for dinner lol.
  • Prettymisssparkles
    tumblr_m28fqoNnj41r3ptwe.gif
  • LadyThanata
    LadyThanata Posts: 91 Member
    Buy wingettes (i think thats how it is spelled). IF you can't find fresh wings, have the butcher chop the wings into parts.
    I freeze 6 pieces of chicken wings in a ziplock. Thats my portion control. It's 150 calories for 3 parts, so its perfect for a small lunch, paired with a salad...

I preheat the oven at 375, cook them for 40 minutes, then i broil them for 4 minutes flip them and broil some more, I do that so that the wings are crispy. I do not move the tray at all, so my wings cook mid level of the oven at all settings.

Before I cook- I season the hell out of them with red pepper flakes and pepper, and garlic.

I normally use Red Hot sauce on them as well while I am chowing.

Just thought I'd share!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    It's the fat/calories content. But if you have those available, or as an occasional treat, they aren't bad. The sodium content would be from the sauce, I'm guessing?? Just use a lower sodium sauce, or drink some tomato juice that day to load up on potassium.
  • Ayne6246
    Ayne6246 Posts: 37 Member
    Alton Brown's recipe on Food network removes most of the fat from the wings......Place a 6-quart saucepan with a steamer basket and 1-inch of water in the bottom, over high heat, cover and bring to a boil.

Remove the tips of the wings and discard or save for making stock. Using kitchen shears, or a knife, separate the wings at the joint. Place the wings into the steamer basket, cover, reduce the heat to medium and steam for 10 minutes. Remove the wings from the basket and carefully pat dry. Lay the wings out on a cooling rack set in a half sheet pan lined with paper towels and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Replace the paper towels with parchment paper. Roast on the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes. Turn the wings over and cook another 20 minutes or until meat is cooked through and the skin is golden brown.

I use Ken's Steak House Marinade brand Buffalo Wing Sauce which only has 15 calories per tablespoon with 1.5g fat O carb & 370 mg sodium. I usually use about 4 tablespoons on 24 wings.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    If anyone here has a NuWave (my parents have one, they are f*cking awesome), I made AMAZING chicken wings in them. I just seasoned the wings with some Nature Seasonings (skin on) and put them in the NuWave for like 10 mins on each side and they were crispy and amazing. I didn't even need sauce. You're welcome!