WHEN are you supposed to drink your water?

Options

Replies

• JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Whenever you are not drinking alcohol...

I am in a mood today! :bigsmile:

ditto.
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've heard of not eating too close to your meals before but it was regarding digestive issues. Something about diluting the stomach acids and so on. So, unless you have some medical reason to drink/not drink your water at specific times, do whatever you want to do!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I haven`t bothered to read all of the answers, just because I find the question really silly?

If you are thirsty, then drink.

If you feel like you are not drinking enough water, then drink some more?
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I HAVE heard of that. In fact I once lived with a couple who follow the rules of now water for an hour before and after you eat. I did it when I lived with them, and I have never done it since. The only difference I feel is a little less dehydrated :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

I think the theory is that you dont want to dilute your stomach acids before or during digestion. But I never could tell a difference!
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Obviously like everyone said drink when you are thirsty.....However, also drink even when you aren't. I didn't used to drink enough because sometimes I didn't feel thirsty so I forced it. Its good for you, flushes you out, good for your skin, makes you feel full. I have a 20oz water bottle and probably fill it 8-10 times a day. Like another poster mentioned I try not to drink much after 8 or 9 or I am up in the night though! DRINK!!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

Considering that some people think you should eat 5-6 smaller meals per day, that REALLY wouldn't leave time to drink water!

This^^. Waiting makes no sense. Drink whenever you want to.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    If your pee is light in color and you don't feel thirsty, you should be fine. You don't have to force yourself to drink it at particular times of day. You actually get a lot of water from what you eat too.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I have never heard that, ever in my life... I drink a ton of water. Partly because I know it's good for me to stay hydrated, partly because I tend to be over on sodium pretty much daily & drinking a lot of water helps counteract the water retention that the sodium overload causes... And partly because it helps me feel full. As far as "when" to drink it? I start first thing in the morning & stop by 8PM most of the time. Reason for that being: if I stop by 8PM, I usually won't have to get up to pee in the middle of the night, even if I've had 18 8 oz servings in a day.

You are my water twin. Same reasons and everything!

So funny.... I was thinking the same thing when I read this post!! (Except I drink water right up to bedtime... because it doesn't matter when I stop drinking water, I still wake up to go at some point during the night!)
  • italral
    italral Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The theory behind not drinking water half an hour before or after you eat is because the water dilutes your stomach acids, which can slow down digestion. I've never been a big drinker while I'm eating, but I tank it the rest of the day. And I also eat only two-three squares a day, so if this theory is true, doesn't really effect me.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I drink water all day long basically. There is no 'wrong' time to drink water.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    interesting tidbit, it's actually best to drink your water SEPARATELY from your meals, because the water during the meal dilutes your stomach acid which makes it harder for your stomach to digest and break down your foods!

who knew?
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I have never heard that, ever in my life... I drink a ton of water. Partly because I know it's good for me to stay hydrated, partly because I tend to be over on sodium pretty much daily & drinking a lot of water helps counteract the water retention that the sodium overload causes... And partly because it helps me feel full. As far as "when" to drink it? I start first thing in the morning & stop by 8PM most of the time. Reason for that being: if I stop by 8PM, I usually won't have to get up to pee in the middle of the night, even if I've had 18 8 oz servings in a day.

LOL That's awesome!!! :drinker:
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options

So funny.... I was thinking the same thing when I read this post!! (Except I drink water right up to bedtime... because it doesn't matter when I stop drinking water, I still wake up to go at some point during the night!)
    There are days when I do, as well. I just try really hard to stop by 8 or so, because, for me at least, it does help. I still sometimes have to get up to pee, but not always. If I keep going past 8, it's pretty much a given that I'll have to get up at least once! lol
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    drink a tall glass of water before you start eating every meal or snack, that should give you somewhere between 3 and 6 glasses of water a day. Then add a few more glasses here and there to get to your minimum of 8.

Honestly, you should be drinking all the time, irrelevant of your meals.

I also don't drink as much as I should.. although I always get at least 6 glasses in. I have a colorful picture on my desk with a whale in the ocean that reminds me to drink water all the time. It says "Are you getting enough water?" ... "Maybe you should have a glass."... "Like Right Now!"
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    Never heard of the water window before... I just drink all day long and that seems to work just fine for me!
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    This has been a point of confusion for me. I have heard that you are not supposed to drink your water too close to your meals - like not for a half before or until an hour after you've eaten.

I eat every 2-4 hours and I'm a slow eater, so that would leave me a very narrow window to get all of my water in.

I usually just drink it whenever I want, but I was wondering has anyone else come across this? Is this just total B.S.?

:drinker:

don't listen to all the uniformed folks. this is actually true due to the reasons i stated in my previous post.

edit: however it's more important to drink your water than worry about the timing... so if it's an issue, err on the side of just drinking your water whenever you feel like it. ideally, though, you don't drink too much water WITH your meals
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    interesting tidbit, it's actually best to drink your water SEPARATELY from your meals, because the water during the meal dilutes your stomach acid which makes it harder for your stomach to digest and break down your foods!

who knew?

Actually, that's not true. I found this info from the Mayo Clinic, as I've never, ever heard of water making it more difficult to digest food.

"There's no concern that water will dilute the digestive juices or interfere with digestion. In fact, drinking water during or after a meal actually aids digestion. Water and other liquids help break down food so that your body can absorb the nutrients. Water also softens stools, which helps prevent constipation. ." - http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/digestion/AN01776

Might want to check your info in the future.
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    And if it would slow down the digestion of food U don't have to snack later....

Some people believe that U eat less if U drink a lot of water.
    Becuase Ur stummick is full.

The only thing i know is don't drink to much in the late evening.
    Else U have to pee at night.
    :)
  • CoachReddy
    Options

who knew?

Actually, that's not true. I found this info from the Mayo Clinic, as I've never, ever heard of water making it more difficult to digest food.

"There's no concern that water will dilute the digestive juices or interfere with digestion. In fact, drinking water during or after a meal actually aids digestion. Water and other liquids help break down food so that your body can absorb the nutrients. Water also softens stools, which helps prevent constipation. ." - http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/digestion/AN01776

Might want to check your info in the future.

you might want to consider more than one source.

water has a very high pH, and when introduced to a very low pH environment, the pH level of said environment will rise. if the pH of the stomach is higher than about 3, pepsin isn't activated, and thus the proteins won't be broken down correctly.

can you drink a few sips of water with a meal? sure. but don't throw back a 12oz dasani.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    whrenever u feel like it
    i sip on ice water, iced water with lemon wedge or iced tea practically all day and night