Coming Back to MFP With PCOS

Options
I used to log everyday and I was doing okay with my weight loss. The community was always so great and supportive but somehow I found myself logging on less and less. Next thing I know I'm not logging at all. I don't know if I gained anything back, I haven't weighed myself yet, but I got another reality check from my doctor.

I've been doing a good job keeping my blood sugar within "normal ranges" (prediabetes) but I was just told I have PCOS when I went to discuss some fertility issues. Now I'm back because I'm 25 and I've got a lot of work to do to get my weight under control, which I need to do if I ever want to have children.

I'd love some friends with over 100 pounds to lose and/or that have PCOS. I'd prefer to avoid those that eat very low calorie diets as I used to be anorexic and seeing the low numbers puts me in the wrong frame of my mind. If that works for you that's great but whenever I aimed for 1200 calories I found myself eating 500.

I'm not letting this get the best of me and I'm hoping to find a supportive group of friends working to get healthier together!

Replies

• jujubean97
    jujubean97 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i have pcos and have been using mfp since oct 2011 i have lost 106 lbs and still have 80-100 more to go. i get a regular period and am not trying to get pregnant since i already have a 15 year old. but i have all the other nasty side affects of pcos. i do not take the metformin. i do take supplements to help with insulin levels that i think have helped with my weigh loss success i take cinnamon and chromium supplements. and also biotin for hair thinning. hope this helps
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    i have pcos and have been using mfp since oct 2011 i have lost 106 lbs and still have 80-100 more to go. i get a regular period and am not trying to get pregnant since i already have a 15 year old. but i have all the other nasty side affects of pcos. i do not take the metformin. i do take supplements to help with insulin levels that i think have helped with my weigh loss success i take cinnamon and chromium supplements. and also biotin for hair thinning. hope this helps

I've been taking cinnamon and chromium for a while now when the doctors told me I had prediabetes. It really helped a lot! My fiance is diabetic and it's helped him manage his blood sugar too.

The doctor mentioned metformin but is running some more tests first. I'm still reading up to decide if I want to take it.
  • CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi Amanda! My name is Heather and I have about 101 lbs to lose. I also have PCOS. I just joined about a week ago and am always on the look out for folks in similar circumstances!
  • MeanaGailRotten
    MeanaGailRotten Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    HI Amanda. I have PCOS and had 100+ pounds to lose. Now at 46, I have decades of PCOS management behind me (hopefully at least a few more in front of me.) Please feel free to add me. Sometimes it helps to have feedback from other "cysters", especially those of us that have been there, done that.
  • kberkley78
    kberkley78 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, Amanda. I have PCOS, and I had prediabetes before I got pregnant. I went through 4 AUI's and 3 IVF's before I had my daughter. I had gestational diabetes while I was pregnant and am now a full-blown diabetic with high blood pressure. I take Metformin. My daughter is four now. My ultimate goal is to become medicine-free so I can enjoy my daughter's life with her. Be encouraged.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Started out at 297lbs, and now somewhere in the 250s (depending on the day), I've been stuck for about 1.5 years because of the meds my doctor has me on to control hyperplasia caused by PCOS, however I am also TTC and have been for 7 years.

Here are some tips that I have learned over the last 3 years:

1) Know your carbs! Eating Low Glycemic will not only help keep you full longer, but will help control your blood sugars, Insulin Resistance which is generally part of PCOS need to be controlled in order to successfully pass the sugar correctly. Otherwise it stores as fat. You don't have to go carb crazy, and do Atkins to be successful, just know which items are the right items to eat with PCOS.

2) WORKOUT! Exercise in general lowers insulin levels, however cycling is known to lower insulin levels more effectively than running, or walking. So keep yourself moving. I've found that without exercise I will not lose weight.

3) Have your thyroid checked! I did not find out until I lost 30lbs and gained damn near every pound back that I had hyperthyroid issues, and I had them checked in the past and they were normal, but some how during my journey they went whacko and I had to start from square 1 with losing weight.

Most importantly DON'T GIVE UP! Don't allow yourself to not log every single day, even if you don't log your food (on the weekends i don't log food), try and come here every day to remain motivated and focused. Get involved in workout challenges, PCOS groups, whatever it takes. It's a long process but it's truly life changing!

Your welcome to add me here and add my Fit Page on facebook http://www.facebook.com/stepitupgirl
  • daepley
    daepley Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi! I'm another PCOS/hypothyroidism with quite a bit to lose (about another 90 lbs). I'm 43 and no longer TTC so I'm not taking any meds for the PCOS. I tried metformin for a while, but it really didn't agree with me and so now I'm just trying to control symptoms with a big change in diet and exercise.

I just started here at MFP 2 weeks ago and I really like it. I like logging in each day and tracking my food. That sense of accountability is very motivating for me. I hope it will be for you too.

I think it would be great to have some PCOS cysters for support here at MFP! Feel free to add me!
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I used to log everyday and I was doing okay with my weight loss. The community was always so great and supportive but somehow I found myself logging on less and less. Next thing I know I'm not logging at all. I don't know if I gained anything back, I haven't weighed myself yet, but I got another reality check from my doctor.

I've been doing a good job keeping my blood sugar within "normal ranges" (prediabetes) but I was just told I have PCOS when I went to discuss some fertility issues. Now I'm back because I'm 25 and I've got a lot of work to do to get my weight under control, which I need to do if I ever want to have children.

I'd love some friends with over 100 pounds to lose and/or that have PCOS. I'd prefer to avoid those that eat very low calorie diets as I used to be anorexic and seeing the low numbers puts me in the wrong frame of my mind. If that works for you that's great but whenever I aimed for 1200 calories I found myself eating 500.

I'm not letting this get the best of me and I'm hoping to find a supportive group of friends working to get healthier together!

I have over 100 to lose and I have PCOS. We were VERY blessed by God to have our little miracle after 3 years of trying, and now I have pregnancy weight and fat girl weight to lose. Friend me :)
  • jessgumkowski88
    jessgumkowski88 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! I don't have as much to lose, only about 30-40lbs, but i sympathize!

I have the high testosterone form of PCOS and I have to be careful about taking the right medicine and exercising/dieting properly or I just gain muscle and lose no weight and look something like a football linebacker haha.

Anywho I'll send you a friend request! I love fellow PCOSers!
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    Hi,

I'm stacy I had 100 lbs to loose I am down 40 of those 100 I have PCOS and am trying to conceive. We have a great comunity called PCOSis you should come check it out. Everyone in the group has PCOS and there are people who have known about it for a long time, and those who have just found out, some of us do lots of research on it and we all give eachother advise.

Good luck with your journy, the way I have seen being diagnosed with PCOS is I now know what my lifestyle needs to be like.
  • backincontrol
    backincontrol Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, had difficulty trying to conceive but was successful 3 times (only 1 needing Clomid), had gestational diabetes with the last two and have a little under 100lbs to lose. I am also almost 40 so I have many years of management behind me. I am hoping to see a new doctor in Oct that will prescribe the right dosages of metformin for me. I read many woman have great success on it. I have been logging everyday and havent really lost anything which is so upsetting. I try to keep my calories under 1800 and my carbs limited to what the American Heart Assoc. recommends (was on that plan while pregnant with gestational diabetes). less than 45 carbs per meals and 20 for a snack. Also pairing protein with carbs will help keep my sugars more level. Anyway Best of luck and keep chugging along.
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I just sent out some friend requests. It's great to connect with people going through the same issues.
  • sweet_basil
    Options
    Hey girl! I don't have as much to lose, only about 30-40lbs, but i sympathize!

I have the high testosterone form of PCOS and I have to be careful about taking the right medicine and exercising/dieting properly or I just gain muscle and lose no weight and look something like a football linebacker haha.

Anywho I'll send you a friend request! I love fellow PCOSers!

I have this same issue. Too much testosterone = extra muscle on me too (my legs are so toned right now but I'm gonna start getting bulky if I don't slow it down) I am going next week for a spiro RX to see if maybe taking it helps.

Anyway, I'll send AmandaTWaH and you a friend request now lol.

Amanda, keep it up! You can do this!
  • Dreaaa
    Dreaaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I dont have PCOS (to my knowledge) but I do have a 100+ pounds to lose. I'd love to be there to motivate you and vice versa. :)
  • starryvagabond
    starryvagabond Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Another PCOS sufferer here. I'm pretty much the poster child (as in I have everything... especially the high testosterone).

I commend you for coming back to try to keep yourself healthy. If you wanna friend me I'm open to friend requests (anyone... it'd be good to have more PCOS friends).
  • AshNoel85
    AshNoel85 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is Ashley. I just found out late last year i have PCOS. I also have Endometriosis. I have at LEAST 100 lbs to loose! I am right there with you! I do not do low calorie because i have so much to loose. I am ready to get healthy, and hope one day my husband and I will be lucky enough to have children. Add me i am looking for people to encourage and challenge me and I will do the same! Good Luck!

Ash
  • bexyando
    bexyando Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Hun,

Me too, just had confirmed on Monday I have PCOS and under active thyroid, BRILLIANT (touch of sarcasm)!!

I have been prescribed Metformin so I will start that in a few weeks and just wanting to see what the doc wants to give me for the thyroid. Hoping healthy eating, carrying on exercising will help and just really want to be fit and healthy before getting pregnant if possible.

Anywho feel free to ad me and anyone else on this thread who would like some support :) xxx
  • jessgumkowski88
    jessgumkowski88 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    @100degrees, Lemme know how it works! :D

I'm currently taking metformin, which works well, but it took my body like a week and a half to acclimate, and that week was miserable! My body constantly thought my blood sugar was low because metformin is technically a diabetes med with a nifty side effect of decreasing testosterone levels!
  • starryvagabond
    starryvagabond Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was on metformin for a while last year but they took me off of it because it was starting to negatively affect my kidneys. Shame, I could use it right about now.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I was on metformin for a while last year but they took me off of it because it was starting to negatively affect my kidneys. Shame, I could use it right about now.

Have you tried the XR version?