Replace my Shakes!

Options
xarra
xarra Posts: 128 Member
I'm just starting my WL (I'm about 90lbs - about the same as my husband, and almost DOUBLE my ideal weight...) and I've just noticed my nice tasty strawberry shake has 27g of sugar! Now, I'm eating about 100g of sugars atm (down from 500g...) and dropping the shakes for lunch would be good...

Except I've NO idea what to replace them with at work... Maybe have my houmous (hummus) and pitta for lunch instead of a snack? But then what do I snack on?

Other problem is, I don't like raw veggies... And my office is shared with me & my boss and we eat whenever we feel like and can snack all day...

I'm tempted to ask my boss to make the office a 'no eat zone' except during lunch times...

Replies

• sagithia
    sagithia Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I love chicken wraps with lettuce and use some chinese or thai seasonings and gound beef, turkey or chicken. I love whole wheat pasta with cooked veggies and fresh sauce. Get creative, remake your facorite recipes. I recommend that you get the P90X shake, its amazing and filling. So worth the price ebcause it fills you up.
  • panther87
    panther87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I bring alot of leftovers for lunch. things we've had the night before. I do have access to a microwave and can reheat items very quickly. I also sometimes bring 'Lean Cuisine" or Weight Watchers frozen meals to work and supplement them with cooked veggies or fruit. Also a lean meat sandwich on multi grain bread with grapes is a good quick sandwich and much less sugar than those shakes. Hope this helps. Good luck to you.
  • madefromnature
    Options
    I have just started my weight loss surgery journey. There is a protein shake that is made by 'Chike'. It is called 'Strawberry Burst'. Its the best tasting that I've ran across that actually is good for you and that you obsorb all the protein out of. Their web site is www.chikenutrition.com. It only has 3g of sugar. So you can still have your Shake in a sense. They also have other flavors. I really hopes this helps you and good luck.
  • iwannawearatutu
    iwannawearatutu Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Just gonna throw in my vote my own personal favorite brand of shake - BSN Dessert Protein. You can see the breakdown in my food diary... I forget the details but they are not quite as low in carbs as xarra's suggestion but still low. They don't have a strawberry flavor but what I sometimes do - just did, in fact - is mix the chocolate fudge with a packet of South Beach Diet "tide me over" mix in strawberry banana. I mix the powders with unsweetened vanilla almond milk - it's SO yummy, like a strawberry split!
  • Kellyann615
    Options
    If you want to keep the shake but nix the sugar, Gensoy makes a natural soy protein powder that has no sugar at all. 110 calories for a 3 heaping scoop serving. 39 grams of protein! I stick it in the blender with 2 cups of 8th Continent Soy Milk (I'm allergic to real milk), a couple ice cubes, a bit of unsweetened cocoa powder (about 15 cals) and a bit of Splenda (which is also calorie/sugar free).
    Some times I switch it up with a dash of vanilla extract or some fresh strawberries or bananas (just be careful of bananas cause they've got a lot of sugar for being so small). You can get the Gensoy powder at Walmart and it's not expensive like fitness stores can be. Also, it's got quite a supply of other nutrients per serving, so it's a healthy choice. Check the back so you know it's the right one. Green can. It's almost always my breakfast and it's filling enough to keep you from craving that sugar! Good luck.
  • Natalie7227
    Options
    I would highly recommend the Whey Protein from Beachbody, Vanilla or Chocolate. There is only 3 grams of sugar in it so it is for weight loss. Send me a message and I will give you my website, I do work for Beachbody and have my own website and can also be your free coach as well. Let me know. www.beachbodycoach.com/youcandoit09
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I drank Myoplex Lite protein shakes (chocolate fudge), and 11 oz is only has 1 gram of sugar. I don't know about the strawberry cream version they have; I bought them one time, and my boyfriend drank them all before I could drink one - and he HATES "diet" food and stuff that's "good for you." You could look into those.
  • xarra
    xarra Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Next problem: I'm in the UK, so a lot of these aren't available. :(
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb protein powder and you can order it on the internet.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting my WL (I'm about 90lbs - about the same as my husband, and almost DOUBLE my ideal weight...) and I've just noticed my nice tasty strawberry shake has 27g of sugar! Now, I'm eating about 100g of sugars atm (down from 500g...) and dropping the shakes for lunch would be good...

Except I've NO idea what to replace them with at work... Maybe have my houmous (hummus) and pitta for lunch instead of a snack? But then what do I snack on?

Other problem is, I don't like raw veggies... And my office is shared with me & my boss and we eat whenever we feel like and can snack all day...

I'm tempted to ask my boss to make the office a 'no eat zone' except during lunch times...

snack on: air popped popcorn, unsalted nuts (small amount), ryvita crackers, cottage cheese, cut up fruits, yogurt, healthy cereal (eat dry, cheerios or whatever you like), tea (no calories but herbal ones entice your nose and you may not be as hungry),

I'd also say, try not to snack continuously through the day. You need to be in control of this yourself, so i don't think asking your boss to make it a no eat zone would help you in the long run. When you are at home, you also need to be disciplined. Preportion your snacks at home into containers so that you know how many calories they are, and you know you can eat it all without going over your allotted calories. I think there is something satisfying about eating all of something (and maybe this is why if we have a bag of something beside us we keep eating).

In addition, unless you are making your snakes at home (without powders etc) i would stay away from them.