Fish Oil

Options
Does anyone take fish oil tablets? I've done some reading about the benefits and I think I want to start taking it. What brands are good? Does anyone believe it has negative results?

Your thoughts and comments are much appreciated!

Replies

• CubicCutie
    Options
    The new kid on the block now is Krill oil. m Apparently contains more Omega 3 than ordinary fish oil. Haven't researched any .
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    I take a liquid fish oil called Omega-3 by Nordic Naturals. It is a bit pricey but 1 tsp gives you 825mg EPA and 550mg. DHA and 290 mg other omega-3 and 290 mg omega -9. Whatever you take look how much EPA/DHA you are getting per serving. I have read ideally 2/1 is best. I like Nordic naturals because of the high omega 3 content. I do notice a difference in the days I forget to take it. I feel so much better on those days I take it. I also think it helps my skin and hair. I started taking fish oil when my triglyerides were borderlline- high. They went from 157 to 110. I also noticed my cravings went down. Hope this helps.

I get mine at a local coop. You also can buy it online. They do make a prescription grade, but you would need to buy that through a health care provider.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add it is best to refrigerate the liiquid fish oil or if you do capsules to put in the freezer to store. If you get a burpy taste it helps to take capsules from the freezer then after taking them drink some orange juice. I have taken fish oil for over ten years with no negative consequences and only good things to say. :smile:
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I take it every day, but more on faith than for any reason I can notice. It hasn't hurt me, I will say that.
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I hear there's also an optimum window for omegas as well: something like 2 hours pre-workout? Anyone hear any info supporting or opposing this info?
  • bigbear167
    bigbear167 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    my doctor recommended fish oil for me so I take it twice a day 1000mg.i buy mine at sams/walmart..
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of fish.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I don't believe there is a time window for dosing; EPA and DHA work through saturation. If you're super calorie-conscious look for brands that have a high EPA/DHA content per pill, because the gelatin casings for the oil does have a few calories per pill. I use NOW super omega, but there other brands that are equally dosed.
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    bumping...curious myself as well!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    My husband takes them for blood pressure, and has no side effects.

I took them for a while, but ultimately stopped because I had trouble with fish burps (taking the pills at night helped with that), and what I will call euphemistically "fishy oily leakage" which was quite disgusting, and required the disposal of at least 3 pairs of panties. After some research, I found that this is a rare but not completely uncommon side effect.

So, I just eat more fish.
  • msny15
    msny15 Posts: 14
    Options
    I take 2 - 1,200mg a day with my dinner. I have the Target brands ones that limit the burp up
  • wisconsinboogie
    wisconsinboogie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Mega Red krill oil, no fishy after taste!!
  • wizwitch
    wizwitch Posts: 82
    Options
    Bump
  • _Calvin_
    _Calvin_ Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I take Omega 3D from Nutritional Frontiers (can be purchased online). One serving, two softcaps, 25 calories, 900mg EPA/ 660 DHA + 1000 IUs of Vitamin D3. I have been taking it for about two years. I can tell when I have forgotten to take them for a day or two because I feel like I have lost some energy.

I still try and eat salmon or tuna once a week.

Also, never once have I had a fish burp like I've had with other brands.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I take Carlson's. Supposed to be the purest. I have used both Lemon Flavor and Orange and found them both to be good. No fish burps. http://www.carlsonlabs.com/s-22-fish-oil-liquids.aspx?pagenum=2

Fish oil is expensive, and especially so if you buy the gel caps. The bottles will give more bang for the buck. Also Krill is not worth the price and as I remember, does not provide the same benefits as does fish oil.

I take the oil straight, but some put it in smoothies, beans, oatmeal, salads, etc.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I take it every day, but more on faith than for any reason I can notice. It hasn't hurt me, I will say that.

^^ This (or at least almost every day). I use Nature Made burp-less fish oil and have had no issues.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I take it. Haven't noticed any differences though. I don't have a brand I recommend and the only negative thing I can think of is the fish burps
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I take Spring Valley Omega 3 every day. Have had no negative side effects like fish burps, and I noticed a dramatic mood increase after I had been on them a week.