Can I have a treat on my Birthday?

Options
I am going out for dinner on my birthday and I was wondering if it would ruin my diet if I were to treat myself to some spaghetti carbonara and a cookie from subway? I know it is quite bad for you but I was wondering if it will impact my weight loss much?

Replies

• nucgirl13
    nucgirl13 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    No. You need to learn to incorporate treats into your new healthy lifestyle. One day won't impact your progress. You may want to avoid the scale the next day though as your weight may temporarily go up due to water retension from the extra sodium. Enjoy your birthday!
  • kevinrbarger
    kevinrbarger Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing saying that you can't eat that. At all.

This is a lifestyle change, not prison! Don't deny yourself the foods you love, and don't deny yourself a treat on your birthday. You can always plan for the calories in advance and eat less calories or exercise more during the day, or you could just go over your calorie limit today.

One day is NOT going to destroy your diet. Just get back to your normal plan tomorrow.

Don't make that a habit, though. If you see yourself slipping and going over your calorie limit days at a time, then it's time to reign that in.

But one day? Especially your birthday? Eat all the spaghetti carbonara!
  • superginge1
    superginge1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your help everyone!! I might also treat myself to a nice coffee with my cookie!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday!
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday!

Enjoy whatever treat you want. It's fine. I eat 1/2 large pizza every week, the occasional glass of wine and ice cream with dark chocolate chips at least a couple of times a week. I make good decisions most of the time, but I still enjoy the things I want. And I NEED my pizza. I just want the wine and ice cream.

I eat about 2,000 calories a day, so I can fit just about anything in there with some planning. And on my birthday next month, "will this fit in my calories" won't even cross my mind. Enjoy your special day!!!! :drinker:
  • halzuzu
    halzuzu Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yes, have a treat! My birthday was on MOnday and I treated myself to TWO slices of chocolate cake and didnt worry about it one bit. I just got back on track the next day and added a lil more exercise. Happy birthday!
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday! YES! Please treat yourself. Enjoy it and get back on track tomorrow! This is life and there will be days that you splurge a little. Key is that you get back on track! Today I had pizza for lunch. I like to allow 1 or 2 "splurge" meals a week. The rest are fairly healthy!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    No! No birthday treat for you! In fact, no party, and no presents either. In order to lose weight you must be miserable at all times.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    One bad meal isn't going to make you fat.

Consistently eating too many calories and not following a training program will make you fat.

Enjoy your meal.
    Enjoy your drinks.
    Enjoy your family and friends.

Happy birthday.
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday. Never deny yourself anything. My doctor told me everything in moderation. This is a lifestyle change and not a diet. Have a wonderful dinner and a treat today and get back on track tomorrow.
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    NO Treats EVER!

j/k Of Course, But why not break through a plateau in the A.M then treat yourself.

Just an Idea
  • kevinrbarger
    kevinrbarger Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    NO Treats EVER!

j/k Of Course, But why not break through a plateau in the A.M then treat yourself.

Just an Idea

I have absolutely no idea what this means. Isn't a plateau a really long period of time without any progress? How is... wait... what?
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday! Please enjoy your treats because it is your special day! One day of having a few more calories than normal isn't going to hurt your long term goal at all. It might even help! I've noticed that the more I eat, the more I lose. I try not to go over too much though. Around 2200 calories a day is good for me, but I do exercise everyday.
  • Etienne54
    Etienne54 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    NO Treats EVER!

Just an Idea

I have absolutely no idea what this means. Isn't a plateau a really long period of time without any progress? How is... wait... what?

My brain just melted. gahh

It's your birthday, go ahead, eat that piece of cake! Once a year is not a big deal.
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    First of all; Happy Birthday!

Second of all; who are you asking? Please don't rely on the internets for "rules" about what you can or can't do on your birthday, or about what you can eat! Please don't treat making healthier decisions for a healthier lifestyle like a diet that restricts what you "can" & "can't" have - that will just set you up to go "off" what you see as a diet, instead of making your next decision a healthy one. <3

Birthdays, in my opinion, are special, once a year events, where everyone should spoil you & you should celebrate another year of being awesome hehe. Enjoy the cookie!
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    Yes, you can have a treat on your birthday.
    I say so.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I just had a donut & a cheeseburger, but I'll be working out just a little bit extra to make sure I don't see an impact. (It was all below my sodium of 1500 for the day.) I'll be eating something special for my b'day. Make sure you drink your water still. Enjoy & Happy Birthday!! :)