Calling all teachers!

Options
Hey y'all!

So I teach middle-school Spanish and I spend a good amount of time on my feet everyday. I call foul play on this "lightly-sedentary" rating that MFP has bestowed on the profession!

Who else is a teacher here? What grades and subjects? :) (Or Elementary Ed, that's cool too!)

Do you all feel the burn during the day? My feet always hurt after coming home!

Replies

• starryvagabond
    starryvagabond Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm still in school and teach middle-achool art... does that count? xD

My feet always hurt coming home, too. Those floors are so unforgiving.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I'm going to officially be a teacher next fall. But I will only be teaching one class, so I will not get an AWESOME burn from it, just a mediocre one.
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm a preschool teacher. I'm in a room with 2 - 3 year olds for most of the day. They keep me on my toes!
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    Hey y'all!

So I teach middle-school Spanish and I spend a good amount of time on my feet everyday. I call foul play on this "lightly-sedentary" rating that MFP has bestowed on the profession!

Who else is a teacher here? What grades and subjects? :) (Or Elementary Ed, that's cool too!)

Do you all feel the burn during the day? My feet always hurt after coming home!

Feet may hurt due to poor shoe support. You may be on your feet all day, but that doens't mean your calorie burn is high.
  • marsgirlly
    marsgirlly Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My comment was less about calorie burn with the feet and more with the amount of action I take walking around the darn school all day :P
  • marsgirlly
    Options
    I'm a preschool teacher. I'm in a room with 2 - 3 year olds for most of the day. They keep me on my toes!
    I volunteered half-day at a Spanish Immersion Preschool last year. They're hard work!
  • shellygressett
    shellygressett Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I call foul also! I used to teach High school English but this year I moved to 5th grade special ed. I was on my feet then and am now too. I got a fit bit a few months ago and I put somewhere between 2-3 miles on everyday during work. Fun times. :)
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    z
  • RealMarkD
    RealMarkD Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I teach high school English, and one thing I learned before I was even student-teaching was that no matter what type of shoes I'm wearing, make sure they have good insoles. I put new insoles in whenever I buy a new pair, and change them every few months (once my feet start to hurt whenever I wear that particular pair). Good insoles are the key!
  • marsgirlly
    Options
    I teach high school English, and one thing I learned before I was even student-teaching was that no matter what type of shoes I'm wearing, make sure they have good insoles. I put new insoles in whenever I buy a new pair, and change them every few months (once my feet start to hurt whenever I wear that particular pair). Good insoles are the key!

Now that I'm out of school and have an income, maybe it's time to ditch the $15 flats from Payless and invest!
  • tatebos
    tatebos Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I teach elementary school. I spend the majority of my day on my feet. I didn't used to. I use to try and make time during the day to sit. I now have a fitbit and love seeing how many steps I can take throughout my day.
  • mom2dzbnwe
    mom2dzbnwe Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I used to teach 4th grade. Now, i'm an at home mom/childcare provider to a couple of little boys (2 and 4)--my boys are 13, 4 and 5. Teaching is certainly not sedentary--at least not if you're doing it right!!! When I left teaching 5 years ago, I was pregnant and having bp issues and even though I had months to go, I left with two weeks remaining in the school year because my body couldn't handle it!
  • shootergirlnc
    shootergirlnc Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I teach kindergarten and I'm definitely up and moving more than sitting.
  • djangeum
    djangeum Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi! I'm a science teacher in elementary and sometimes teach physical ed too. I bought a pedometer to keep track of my walking/standing activity in school. I usually log about 3,400-3600 steps a day. Though I'm always standing up or going around the classroom and school grounds during discussions and activities, its more really like going around in circles in a limited space during the whole day. The steps I counted already includes the brisk walking I have to do during my afternoon commutes going home. At home it was easy for me to log 8,000 steps or more, especially during days where I had to run errands. I actually gained weight when I started teaching! So, I guess that the light to moderate rating is probably spot on. Keep in mind though that we have a small school. If you have a bigger school, and you have to go around the grounds, you might be covering more steps. I suggest you buy a pedometer to "keep track of your tracks", so to speak. Good luck!
  • taniaandmichael
    taniaandmichael Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I teach English. I wear my Fitbit to school, and I average walking two to three miles each day at school.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I am a retired special ed teacher. I never sat, never. I taught the little ones for 17 years. They had a lot of concerns and I had to take care of them. The last 12 were in a High school with emotionally involved teenagers. Much of the day was spent breaking up fights or taking down violent students. I worked my *kitten* off. I didn't gain till I retired. Oh yes and I wore skirts a lot and heels.
  • NoraisTreble
    NoraisTreble Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i teach elementary music. I wear a Jawbone UP band daily, and log between 4 and 6 miles everyday. Getting 10,000 steps is pretty easy, especially if I go out for a walk at lunchtime.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Hi skool englush.

But seriously, my room is carpeted, but it's carpeting over a concrete slab. As I lost weight and my "back chain" got stronger (one very serious yearlong cutting/bulking cycle) many of the minor aches and pains of a hard day went away. I disagree with the light-sedentary category because so much of my job is not constant stress, but interval stress. In the course of my day I could be:
    moving a classroom of desks
    breaking up a fight
    dealing with a kid having a seizure
    enjoying a 79 degree classroom during state testing (measured this one myself)
    playing Jenga in my classroom with 300 cases of fruit that showed up a two days early for a fundraiser (I'll never eat cantaloupe again)
    ...or any one of a hundred other physical issues that can happen with high school students. Even dealing with textbooks ain't no joke- the Glencoe British Lit books are five pounds apiece. Let the public say what they will about teachers, one thing we all are is moving! My friends rib me about my choosing to wear athletic socks instead of dress socks, but I tell them to get bent.
  • lizziegs
    lizziegs Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I teach preschool and definitely am up and around all day...not to mention walking up 5 flights of stairs everyday with my kids and 3 blocks each way to the playground. When I return to work I will change it to the next activity level because I don't consider it a light and sedentary job.
  • freebird777
    Options
    I'm a middle and high school music teacher. I don't have my own room, so in addition to teaching I'm also walking to another part of the building every 40 minutes. I always wonder if I'm clocking some mileage throughout the day. Thanks to everybody's posts, my thoughts are validated!