Microwave Meals

Options
mellenorris
mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
Hey folks! I've been asking my friends for ideas here, but didn't realize there was a recipe-specific message board! Excellent.

Here's the scoop: I'm being relocated for work for three months. I'm going to be living in a hotel with a microwave and fridge. No oven! A quick google for microwave recipes yields primarily desserts... not interested! I'm bummed because roasted veggies are my FAVORITE, but it's just three months. I will survive on steamed!

I've invested in a microwave rice/pasta cooker with good reviews on Amazon, and I'm hoping to stumble across someone's old unloved George Foreman Grill or skillet at a thrift store in the next two weeks. If not, I'll probably cave and just buy one.

That said, what are your favorite MICROWAVE-ONLY healthy recipes/meals? I'm not looking for your favorite diet-food-brand freezer food (though I love those steamfresh veggie bags). Tips for cooking with only a microwave? Best and worst practices? Help a girl out!

Replies

• lauryn86
    lauryn86 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Get a sweet potato and poke it with a fork all over. Put in microwave for a few minutes, depending on your microwave. Then stuff it with (heated by microwave if you prefer) canned black beans (that have been rinsed and drained) add avacado and salsa and its AMAZING. Also you could get a crockpot!
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    breakfast idea:

1/2 cup quaker old fashioned oats
    about 12-15 raisins (10 grams)
    cinnamon
    pinch salt
    add almost 1 cup of water

microwave 2 min 45 sec

stir in 1/2 to 1 scoop vanilla protein powder

256 cal
    37 carbs
    4 fat
    19 protein
    8 sugar
    100 sodium
    (stats with 1/2 scoop protein powder)
  • mellenorris
    Options
    Get a sweet potato and poke it with a fork all over. Put in microwave for a few minutes, depending on your microwave. Then stuff it with (heated by microwave if you prefer) canned black beans (that have been rinsed and drained) add avacado and salsa and its AMAZING. Also you could get a crockpot!

Wow, it's like you knew all my favorite foods. Why didn't I think of this?! THANKS! Canned beans are genius - I'm really worried about getting enough protein while I'm out there. A crockpot is smart too! I'll add it to my list for the thrift store hunt. I'm trying to pack as light as possible, so if I could find just one heated food element, that would be great! I'm sure I'll find some creative uses for whatever I find.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    all those bird's eye steam fresh frozen veggies from the store are able to be put in the microwave. if not seasoned put some brown sugar on it! :)
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

My Microwave Sweet Potato / Taco

I dont poke holes in it ("aint nobody got time fo dat") I just put it in there (wrap it in a papertowel) and nuke it.

I do let it cool down a bit, i slice one side and insert extra ingredients like lauryn suggested. I dont jam it full of stuff, but I do close it back up and the insides should be soft enough so when you close it back up you can eat it like a big giant fat taco. :bigsmile:

taco full of superfood potassium goodness :wink:
  • mellenorris
    Options
    breakfast idea:

1/2 cup quaker old fashioned oats
    about 12-15 raisins (10 grams)
    cinnamon
    pinch salt
    add almost 1 cup of water

microwave 2 min 45 sec

stir in 1/2 to 1 scoop vanilla protein powder

256 cal
    37 carbs
    4 fat
    19 protein
    8 sugar
    100 sodium
    (stats with 1/2 scoop protein powder)

YUM, this is right up my alley. I've been a huge fan of fridge/overnight oats in the last few weeks, so this fits in perfectly if I have any cold mornings! I love that you add protein powder - I should add that to my recipe for overnight oats! Smart smart smart. Thanks!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    you can get like ovens that are the size of microwaves, we used to have one, they arent too bad
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    They have steamfresh sweet potatoes that come in bags as well so you can make a serving or two for lunch and dinner the next day.

I like to make flaxseed wraps in the microwave. 3 tablespoon egg white, 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal, 1 tablespoon oil (I use coconut), 1/4 tsp baking powder and any spices you wish (maybe a little parm cheese). Mix together and pour into a microwave safe shallow dish, spread out like a wrap.

You can put anything inside, like deli meats or even a burger. You could also make it into a pizza. Just let it cool, top with sauces and cheese, and pop back in.

A lot of good fats and great flavor!
  • mellenorris
    Options
    They have steamfresh sweet potatoes that come in bags as well so you can make a serving or two for lunch and dinner the next day.

I like to make flaxseed wraps in the microwave. 3 tablespoon egg white, 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal, 1 tablespoon oil (I use coconut), 1/4 tsp baking powder and any spices you wish (maybe a little parm cheese). Mix together and pour into a microwave safe shallow dish, spread out like a wrap.

You can put anything inside, like deli meats or even a burger. You could also make it into a pizza. Just let it cool, top with sauces and cheese, and pop back in.

A lot of good fats and great flavor!

That wrap sounds great! Definitely something I haven't tried before with lots of versatile options.

Anyone have experience with nuking fresh veggies? IE if I wanted some spinach on this pizza idea, plop it on there fresh or...? Buy the frozen bags and use that?
  • mellenorris
    Options
    My Microwave Sweet Potato / Taco

I dont poke holes in it ("aint nobody got time fo dat") I just put it in there (wrap it in a papertowel) and nuke it.

I do let it cool down a bit, i slice one side and insert extra ingredients like lauryn suggested. I dont jam it full of stuff, but I do close it back up and the insides should be soft enough so when you close it back up you can eat it like a big giant fat taco. :bigsmile:

taco full of superfood potassium goodness :wink:

This too, yum. Easy to eat, and doesn't sound like too much clean up!
    you can get like ovens that are the size of microwaves, we used to have one, they arent too bad

I've definitely considered taking our toaster-oven, but I'm trying to pack light... or as light as possible for a three month trip, at least! Gosh, I love toasted everything though. Maybe I'll pick up a cheap toaster once I get out there.

Thanks to both of you!
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I know Ramen soup gets a bad rap, but I like it like this: nuke it in 3 cups of water on high for about 6 minutes, then add a beaten raw egg, some frozen peas or fresh spinach, and half of the seasoning packet. Nuke it again for 2-3 minutes or until the noodles are soft and you can see bits of cooked eggs throughout. This makes enough for about 2 lunch servings at 300 calories each.
  • fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options
    I'm going to think on this one, because I know I have some good ones to share. So I'll figure out a few and reply better k. ALso I have a ton of crockpot recipes if you get one.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    not the safest to use indoors, but you can make a box oven and good with it outside.
    we used to do this at camp and make pizza in it and anything else you would make in an oven out of a box, foil, wire hangers, duct tape, a pie foil tray and coals.

that may be hard to do so i will reccomend microwaving frozen spinach, seasoning with garlic and pepper, and then microwave some sweet potatos, kidney beans. mash the kidney beans and add cumin, chili powder, mustard and mix well. serve in a tortilla with mashed sweet potato and cheese, nuke the burrito if you want. mmm sweet potato burrito

any way you can get a plug in mini stove so you can boil water and make pasta/rice, or an electric skillet as well does wonder for saute up veggies and meats
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    oh yeah and a toaster over too, we have a black and decker one and i like it bc its less energy than a regular oven and cooks quicker. unless its like a casserole i just use that for pizza, garlic bread, anything else youd make in an oven
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Cooking Light magazine has a microwave cooking article in this month's issue. Check it out! I really want to make the meatloaf - it looks awesome. They even have a recipe for risotto!
  • ceeci43
    ceeci43 Posts: 11
    Options
    As long as your room has outlets your in great shape... Go buy yourself a crock pot, go grocery shopping at the end of your work day for the next day If there's no fridge .. You can make awesome meals including rice in a crock pot.. If you need recipes.. Email me I can send you tons.. Good luck
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Couscous is super easy in the microwave, just add water and zap! I second the sweet potato. You can also do a regular potato. I poke it, and cook it on high for six minutes, flipping it over after three. It comes out perfect every time.
  • ceeci43
    ceeci43 Posts: 11
    Options
    Those wraps sound awesome do you have the breakdown on calories? I have celiacs and can actually eat that....
  • mellenorris
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the ideas! My brain is so stuck on roasting veggies, I forgot nuking them was even an option. Potatoes, what an obvious choice! I love me some good mash.

I think once I'm out there, I may look into a crockpot. It's the middle of the desert, so I'm not sure how much I'm going to want hot meals. I'm also trying to keep in mind that my sink is going to be... a small hotel sink, so I'm trying to keep the dishes as simple as possible. I'm not opposed to doing my dishes in the tub though if I need to :P ha ha!

Keep them coming, I am loving these ideas. I don't know what I'd do without you guys!
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Ahhh crockpots are awesome. They'll get rid of a lot of prep. That would be my vote over the microwave (especially if you aren't opposed to eating the same thing three days in a row or at least, refrigerating and having it a few days later).