3 Ways Women Should Train Differently from Men

Options
13»

Replies

• pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Great Article! Thanks :smile:

Oh and why is everyone so terrified to say that there are differences between the AVERAGE male and female body?? Good Grief! Since when does political correctness mean we have to be blind? When I look at all the women here in my office I can clearly see that in general their strength is focused in the lower body and the opposite is true with most the men here! So whats wrong with the generalization?
    Sure there are some women who crank out some pull ups (GO Them!!! Someday I will too!) and there are some men who couldn't do even one...but this is not the norm!

YAY for political correctness forcing us all to pretend we live in some made up world where men and women identical in every way except sexual organs (because that seems to be the politically correct thing to pretend these days!) :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

This.

I don't know why some people think that the acknowledgment of any difference between males and females automatically means we are saying one is better than the other. The author's point was not "Women can't do 6 to 8 pullups, and men can." It was "Most women, at the outset of training, cannot do 6 to 8 reps in one set, but that does not mean those women shouldn't be doing pullups at all. It means they should be doing them in a different way, e.g. with assistance bands, negatives, etc., until they CAN do 6 to 8 reps in one set." If you can already do it, then obviously she is not talking to you.

QFT!
    @ironplaygrond.... Good share as always!
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Great read :)

Its ridiculous that there is an argument as to whether women's and men's bodies are *generally* different...come on people....its like saying "Well why don't we both have the same chromosomes...I want that other chromosome...don't generalize me"
  • peggymoney
    peggymoney Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Interesting, wanting to lift in a couple months. Will keep this in mind!
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Great Article! Thanks :smile:

Oh and why is everyone so terrified to say that there are differences between the AVERAGE male and female body?? Good Grief! Since when does political correctness mean we have to be blind? When I look at all the women here in my office I can clearly see that in general their strength is focused in the lower body and the opposite is true with most the men here! So whats wrong with the generalization?
    Sure there are some women who crank out some pull ups (GO Them!!! Someday I will too!) and there are some men who couldn't do even one...but this is not the norm!

YAY for political correctness forcing us all to pretend we live in some made up world where men and women identical in every way except sexual organs (because that seems to be the politically correct thing to pretend these days!) :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

THIS! The article did not say that ALL women can't do pull ups or push ups, nor did it say that all men can.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

Best of luck on your goals!

Lol I'm definitely stealing this to end MFP arguments in the future.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    I have heard that it is better for a woman to do as much as she can of the more difficult exercise than to crank out modified versions of something. I used idea this with my pushups. I used to do "girl" pushups on my knees and I could go forever. I started to do "full" pushups with good form and could only do a couple at first, but now I have progressed to being able to do 3 sets of 10 with my hands on an upside down bosu ball. I still have to use the weight assisted machine for pullups, but hopefully one day I'll get there. Lots of my MFP friends who are female can do full pullups. They are badass for sure.

Interesting article. Thanks for posting.

Agree. I wasted 18 months on an assisted pull up maching, trying to do a single pull up. Eff that. I started jumping up on the bar and lowering myself as slowly as possible, holding it as long as possible. Eventually, I was able to jump only half way, then pull myself the rest of the way, etc. Now, I am doing 3-4 sets of 4 hanging, no kip pull ups. The same applied to push ups. I could only do a few push ups when I started. I did the knee ones to failure and got no where with regular push ups. I used the same technique with push ups and can now do 35-45 (depending on how rested I am) full tits to the floor push ups. High reps of modified push ups and pull ups didn't work for me.

Great article!!
    Nice. This is actually the way I instruct clients on how to learn pullups. It's one thing to get assistance and another to use a little momentum then hold your own weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition