Hollister

Options

Replies

• heathermae81
    Options
    I think that you're just thinking about the MANY places you will be able to shop once you reach your weight loss goals. I will say that Abercrombie definitely runs small. I could never fit their pants, but I did have a shirt from there when I was in high school. I can honestly say that once I reach my goal, I would love to buy an outfit from BEBE. I've always loved their clothes and I would like to treat myself to that. :smile:
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i am currently fitting into size 3 hollister jeans and proud of it! I'm 5'8". I have a bunch of them, i kept on buying size 3 even though at one point they were too small for me,as i gained weight.
    so yeah, hollister jeans are my "motivation" too!
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I get what you're saying! I'm sure you aren't a slave to brand names but it feels good to be able to wear what you want! And it's your right to wear whatever you like! I'm older than you (27) and I just wanna be able to wear a two piece bathing suit again! Or at the very least, not look like a stuffed sausage in my tankini lol :) Good luck, you can do it!
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Hollister & such arent EXPENSIVE brands.... nothing wrong with wanting to wear that type of clothes... I wore a Aeropostale sweatsuit yesterday

LOL!!!!

Go to Chanel, Mui Mui, Valentino, Prada, or Gucci and tell me "hollister is an expensive and exclusive brand". They are the walmart of teenage clothes in my opinion. :P

According to an ex-employee they spray perfume on the hour and blast music really loudly to deter parents from coming in with their teens while shopping. Like a "here honey, take my card and get whatever you want".

Lol, she is a teenager. I went to a very expensive private school (helllllooooo scholarship) for a while and still didn't see those brands on teenagers.

OP, good luck with your goal. remember to be kind to yourself while reaching your goals. It is possible, just there are no shortcuts!

(I have this old but oh so sexy buttery soft leather BCBG strapless mini dress I would love to wear just *one* more time without looking like sausage escaping the casing.)
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from, I was a teenager once, many many many many years ago. Yesterday I was reading an article about the new outlet mall opening in my area next year and going down the list of stores that hopefully I will be able to shop in again, J. Crew and Ann Taylor Loft are two that come to mind.
  • hegster23
    hegster23 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When you're truly happy with how you look, you'll make all the clothes look good.

Totally agree and can't wait until I can make all the clothes look good too. Nevermind fitting in with the expensive brand crap.
  • lizbits88
    Options
    When I was in high school I went through the same thing. I was a cheerleader and I was a size 7 in jrs EVERYWHERE, BUT I couldn't wear their clothes... Not because I couldn't get a bigger size and get into them BUT because when I put on the bigger size u could see down my pants. I always had a small waist and a huge butt (White girls can have huge butts although I may be a phenomenon). It made me so angry. However I couldnt resist when I found deals at Marshalls and TJ Maxx for those clothes. I own some of their stuff. It doesnt look nearly as good as some of the other clothes I have from Ralph Lauren or J Crew. Yes I have a wide variety of clothes choices. But lose the weight for you. One of my best friends is just a big girl. Even when she is really thin she is still going to be a min of a size 12. Be who you are and be happy with it. A lot of the people here have the right idea! And to the girl who wore a size 6 everywhere and then wore a 0... U got lucky. Thats not the norm. (PS I lost more weight in college and still couldnt fit in the clothes the right way. It is definitely due to curves! Embrace them. Only guys that want bones are dogs :wink: )
  • muziclver
    muziclver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I get what you're saying! I'm sure you aren't a slave to brand names but it feels good to be able to wear what you want! And it's your right to wear whatever you like! I'm older than you (27) and I just wanna be able to wear a two piece bathing suit again! Or at the very least, not look like a stuffed sausage in my tankini lol :) Good luck, you can do it!

I would love to wear a bikini and feel confident about it!
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure American eagle vanity sizes but that's a nice goal.

I'm also a teenager and my goal is for urban outfitters's clothes to look good on me! It's hard to make that stuff look good.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    My younger, thinner sister went through high school wearing branded clothes. I doubt I could have gotten into them in middle school much less high school. I had great friends though who didn't care in the least that I wasn't wearing Guess jeans and such though. It really comes through when you realize that for the same price you'll pay for an American Eagle or A&F pair of shorts you could get a complete, cute, outfit somewhere else. That and why in the world would I PAY for being a companies walking billboard? hehe

I do wish you luck in getting to your goals though.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I do understand, My daughter was desperate for a Superdry gilet but their sizes come up so small that a large didn't fit her.........it is sad when the sizes are cut so small and teens who are a bit larger than average can't fit into them, it doesn't do much for their self-esteem, does it?

Well done for taking positive action regarding your weight and I wish you much success on your weight loss journey. Just remember, you CAN do it xxx
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You are beautiful right now! Never forget that.

As others have said, these are primarily adolescent brands. Honestly these are the stores that my 12 year old and her friends shop at, or at least want to shop at. Many of their clothes are designed for pre-puberty or early adolescent bodies, so don't feel bad about not being able to fit in them. My daughter who is petite with no curves wears an Aeropostale medium and their smallest girls size wouldn't fit most 5th graders that I know.

Btw, when I do see an adult wearing some of these brands, I usually wonder why they want to look like a middle schooler.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to see your success story wearing an outfit from Hollister! :flowerforyou:
    Know how you feel, felt the same way in college...however, I was poor and shopped at forever 21 once they finally fit me. You won't regret getting healthy now, congrats and good luck!
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    You could check out your local thrift stores, & buy some of your favorite brands & use them as inspiration pieces. You'll save money from not buying them full retail & they'll be incentive to stay with your goals.
  • ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    These brands are all children's brands. You are no longer a child and there is a good chance you won't ever fit well into their clothing. As your body finishes maturing, one of the last things that happens is your hips widening.You are a woman, your hips are supposed to be wider than a 14 year old girl's.

Something that I'm coming to terms with! And I agree, once you're no longer a teenager, the style of clothes made for teenagers isn't nearly as flattering as styles made for women (I'm only 24 so don't worry I'm not saying once you're over 16 its time to share a closet with your mom ha) I've seen lots of thin women with muffin tops because they are still trying to wear jeans that are designed for girls without hips.

Good luck with your goal though, regardless of what any one says in the comments, a goal is something that will make you happy and if this is it for you then good luck! I agree with someone else who said that you make the clothes look good, so rock your confidence and no matter what brand you wear I'm sure you'll look beautiful! :flowerforyou:
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Lose the weight, go to the store, try on the clothes, smile, and then put them back on the rack.

Then hit the nearest thrift store and LAUGH when you buy the same clothes for 25 cents-$1.

BTW, I tried on clothes at some place like Hollister a few years ago. I could not get the largest size over my boobs. I'm a 36C--the national average. In other words, even if you lose all your extra weight, you still might not be able to fit their shirts because they are meant for girls with no chest. Be HAPPY you can't fit in them!
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    The fact that you can walk into any of those stores and not pass out from lack of oxygen with all the perfume and cologne in the air is impressive to start. Also be aware that those stores purposely size their clothes smaller than normal. So say a 5 anywhere else is a 6 at their store. Overpriced and uncomfortable clothing on top of that.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I genuinely wish you luck, chérie, but at least pick clothes that are timeless.

These clothes are made for small boned, thin, size zero people. Most clothes at the mall and for teen girls are. It is a huge pet peeve of mine. They do not design with all body types in mind, and it is totally demoralizing to shop with a teen for this reason. It has gotten some better, but honestly, find store that honor all people, we do. The last time I was in Hollister, I literally screamed over music that kept blaring profanity in my ear. I had to refuse the shopping bag because it had a very provocative picture on it and I refused to carry it around the mall. My kids stop asking to go there now. LOL

It's just not worth degradation. That's what I'm saying. I want you to rock...but I want you to feel valued no matter what size you are.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Lose the weight, go to the store, try on the clothes, smile, and then put them back on the rack.

Then hit the nearest thrift store and LAUGH when you buy the same clothes for 25 cents-$1.

BTW, I tried on clothes at some place like Hollister a few years ago. I could not get the largest size over my boobs. I'm a 36C--the national average. In other words, even if you lose all your extra weight, you still might not be able to fit their shirts because they are meant for girls with no chest. Be HAPPY you can't fit in them!

Oh, and I LOVE this! Thrift stores rock, and then we don't have to support the other terrible things about those stores. LOL
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    ....sorry if i go against the grain but OP.....

Focus on whatever is giving you the push to lose the weight and get healthy.

A lot of people are going to tell you its childish or do it for you but I know, personally, that if you have a goal in mind (no matter how stupid or shallow it may seem) it makes you 10 times more likely to achieve whatever it is you need to do.

Keep going at it and post a success thread in your new Hollister Outfit when you get there.

I'm rooting for you.