Is it possible to lose weight on calorie reduction alone?

Options

Replies

• haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for all your advice. I'm going to buy some resistance bands/tubes. These look good: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9102538.htm

I have resistance bands as well. They are okay to begin with. Dumbbells and barbells are better, but of course require a lot more knowledge of how to use them properly. Do you have a gym membership? If so, just ask the trainers to help you, they are all helpful and you generally don't need to book anything with them.

If you don't then the bands will be fine :)

EDIT: Officially done with this thread. Too much bs from other users.
  • Teddy_B
    Teddy_B Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes. I lost like 60 pounds a couple years ago without exercising. Eventually I put it back on.

This time I'm exercising alot more. It's more fun than last time.
  • knitbytes
    knitbytes Posts: 114
    Options
    My mom lost 130lb just cutting calories... though she did completely give up sugar for the duration. I couldn't handle that, myself!
  • gottogetinshape
    gottogetinshape Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It's possible to lose weight by amputating limbs too.

That comment is not nice or necessary, is it?

If all you want is weight loss....

I didn't say that's all I want. I was curious as to how much calorie reduction alone can cause weight loss. As I said, I will be exercising as well.
  • ashleymarie530
    ashleymarie530 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    In my experience, you lose the most weight in the kitchen. If you can cut out bad foods or foods that just aren't healthy, I think you will lose weight. Like you said you will be exercising a bit so yes, I do believe you will lose weight.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In my experience, you lose the most weight in the kitchen. If you can cut out bad foods or foods that just aren't healthy, I think you will lose weight. Like you said you will be exercising a bit so yes, I do believe you will lose weight.

"bad foods"???

Do you have a list of these that you can share for easy reference?
  • gottogetinshape
    gottogetinshape Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Thanks for all the *positive* replies!
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Agreed. The is exactly the reason why most girls can't do pull ups or push ups: too much cardio and not enough protein.

Not sure if serious or just stupid as *kitten*.
    LOL, a little terse, but genuine LOL worthy. I think perhaps that poster should have said "SOME" girls instead of "most".
    "bad foods"???

I had a hamburger patty fall off the plate onto the floor the other night. That was bad.

Does that count?

p.s. The dog was REALLY FAST to get there...
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Agreed. The is exactly the reason why most girls can't do pull ups or push ups: too much cardio and not enough protein.

I am serious. Simple example: a friend of mine spent three hours recently on the elliptical and she's a vegetarian, gets about 20g of protein a day. Can't do a push up to save her life.

Prove to me that what she is doing isn't detrimental to her strength.
    Well, that's kind of an extreme example, not a "most girls" example.

Yes, THAT girl is seriously catabolizing lean mass from 'chronic cardio' and insufficient protein. It's a double whammy. Just the chronic cardio is enough to catabolize muscle seriously, regardless of protein. (This is why if you compare olympic marathoners to olympic sprinters there's a huge difference in muscle mass. It's chronic cardio effects vs. HIIT effects.)

However, to say "most girls" would be an over-generalization, especially since they DO have less pound for pound upper body strength to begin with.

... and that being said, how much MORE impressive is a woman that CAN do pull-ups and bench-press her weight? That's serious dedication to diet and exercise.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options

I am serious. Simple example: a friend of mine spent three hours recently on the elliptical and she's a vegetarian, gets about 20g of protein a day. Can't do a push up to save her life.

Prove to me that what she is doing isn't detrimental to her strength.

I don't eat meat and I get 60-100g of protien per day.

Only getting 20g of protein doesn't even seem possible. What does she eat 1700 calories of bananas a day and that's it?

Being on an elliptical does not stop someone from being able to do push ups... not doing push ups stops someone from being able to do push ups.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Well, that's kind of an extreme example, not a "most girls" example.

Yes, THAT girl is seriously catabolizing lean mass from 'chronic cardio' and insufficient protein. It's a double whammy. Just the chronic cardio is enough to catabolize muscle seriously, regardless of protein. (This is why if you compare olympic marathoners to olympic sprinters there's a huge difference in muscle mass. It's chronic cardio effects vs. HIIT effects.)

I would think that distance runners have less muscle mass because-

A) They don't need as much power, so they don't need as much muscle mass.

B) It would be really inefficient for the body to feed an excessive amount of muscles for extremely long distances over a long period of time.

You make it sound like it's a problem, but really isn't it just the body being smart about preserving energy and increasing endurance- which is what endurance athletes need?

ETA: I wonder whether female olympic marathoners can do push ups? My guess would be yes. Maybe not as many as a sprinter, but surely more than me! lol
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Sure...you can lose weight that way. But--- you'll look better and feel better if you do some kind of exercise.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options

"bad foods"???

The only thing I label as "bad food" is my cooking occasionally (like when I coated the chicken in rub, thinking it served the same purpose as shake'n'bake :tongue: )

I've had more success not labeling anything as a "bad food". Food is food, and calories are calories. Everything in moderation.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

"bad foods"???

The only thing I label as "bad food" is my cooking occasionally (like when I coated the chicken in rub, thinking it served the same purpose as shake'n'bake :tongue: )

I've had more success not labeling anything as a "bad food". Food is food, and calories are calories. Everything in moderation.

Everything in moderation?
  • goalgirl223
    Options
    Yes you can but not doing exersizes, means your not going to the full potential for fitness there is a big diffrence between weight loss and fat loss , the second one is better , you build a stronger body , plus it's super fun so why not......
  • sabriel1206
    Options
    yeah, I've lost 40 lbs so far basically doing no exercise but(!) my body definitely "feels" different than when I weighed this amount but was a serious dancer. My legs, for example, were never 'squishy' and now they are, even after 40 lbs of weight loss. If you have at least some muscle, you certainly look nicer if nothing else. Additionally, doing exercise is very important for weight loss/maintenance in aging. My mother, for example, looks incredible for her age (61) because she has been a regular exerciser her whole life. A flat stomach at that age! Best of luck!
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I love when people say, yes, but...

There's no but. Yes, you can. Calorie deficit will = weight loss. /end
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    You should get the free Striiv App :D It counts steps and adds the burn to MFP. It's fun and has challenges/games/buddies to compete with!
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    No you have to eat 6 small meals a day

No carbs except brown rice or sweet potato

Drink a gallon of water

Do 45 mins of cardio a day

or you just won't lose weight even if you eat NOTHING you will GAIN weight....
  • agoofynut
    agoofynut Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I've lost the large majority of my weight with no or very little exercise. I'm sure I'd look better if I'd been exercising all along though.