Is it possible to lose weight on calorie reduction alone?

Options
124»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I'm not planning to do literally no exercise - I take brisk walks and plan to go to a gym class or work out at home as often as I can - but I'm curious to know how much weight, if any, can be lost through calorie reduction alone? I just wondered if there's someone out there more experienced than me who can give me some more information. I've worked out my TDEE (via fitnessfrog.com) based on 'little to no exercise' so I know what my calorie intake needs to be when I'm not working out, i.e. 15/20% less than my TDEE, but can a person lose much weight that way? Sorry if I sound silly - I'm very new to all this! :)

Thanks in advance!
    I personally know someone who's lost over 100lbs who is wheelchair bound. So yes you can do it with calorie reduction alone, however she will be the first to say that she wishes she could have done it with exercise since it also compromised her strength.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • belly1026
    Options
    Yes. As long as calories in is less than your daily maintenance calories, you will lose weight.

Proof:
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • doygilbert
    Options
    Sure. However as many have mentioned, and I believe it is pretty widely accepted, you will lose more muscle with the fat you lose if you don't exercise. If you goal is to actually get smaller, not just lighter, remember that 1 pound of muscle is smaller than 1 pound of fat.
  • opal50
    opal50 Posts: 1
    Options
    Losing more then a pound a week is not healthy and you will most likely put it back on, fast. I'm currently dropping a pound and a half a week by reducing my cal., intake, but am not exercising yet. I agree that the skin without exercise does start to sag, so it's beneficial to add some light weights to tone. Doesn't have to be more then a pound or two and light weights can be purchased for little at places like Walmart. Good luck! :smile:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Yes you can but you'll look better if you workout.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have to start out with calorie reduction alone. But, often a better diet = more energy and more energy often = moving more. So, I don't think it's bad to lose weight that way, it might be slower, it might lead to some muscle loss. But, it might also lead to more exercise even if that is not the dieters intent.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    You make it sound like it's a problem, but really isn't it just the body being smart about preserving energy and increasing endurance- which is what endurance athletes need?
    I'm not intending it to sound like a problem... it's only a problem if someone thinks they can retain muscle mass while running or doing an elliptical for three hours. I'm saying that chronic cardio, especially into the 2-3 hour zone, will absolutely strip muscle - it's the way the body becomes more efficient - reducing mass.
    ETA: I wonder whether female olympic marathoners can do push ups? My guess would be yes. Maybe not as many as a sprinter, but surely more than me! lol
    Just due to low weights alone I'd be surprised if they couldn't do at least some ... but I doubt they can do many.
  • Tyqui1
    Tyqui1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    this was a great ?!!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who lost 100 pounds doing diet alone.....but she also had nasty sagging thighs and arms and needed a tummy tuck and boob job. Granted if you have a lot of weight to lose, you might end up with saggy skin nonetheless....but exercise helps tighten everything up better and makes you feel better so you might stay more motivated to "sticking with it:"....at least for me I know I fall off the wagon when I feel bad. And yes you can eat WHATEVER YOU WANT IN MODERATION....to the guy who is a smart@ss on here....you can even eat the sole of you shoe in moderation if that tickles your fancy. but it might not be the wisest of choices
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I lost about 25 lbs on calorie reduction alone when I first started.

But it'snot that easy or great. It's a lot better with exercise, plus you get to eat more! :D
  • Katiedcan
    Options
    Yes, As long as you don't go over the recommended amount of calories to lose weight you will. Drink plenty of water and back off on carbs and sodium and you shouldn't retain too much water.
    Strength training is recommended so you can tone as you lose, but when I first started losing weight I couldn't exercise because I was too big and just with a diet change I lost weight.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Yeah, definitely. A few years ago lost about 150 lbs that way. I gained most of it back, but I don't know what, if anything that had to do with not exercising.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    ETA: I wonder whether female olympic marathoners can do push ups? My guess would be yes. Maybe not as many as a sprinter, but surely more than me! lol

Absolutely! Strength training including upper body strength is part of runners training. By getting a strong upper body you can move your arms stronger and faster which will help the speed of your legs. I'd be very surprised if they can't do 100 push ups without problems.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Due to my being severely overweight, my knees were incredibly bad. It was painful to walk up stairs. I lost 100 pounds before I began exercising last October 2012. I began walking for 1/2 hour.
    Now, I exercise at least 60 minutes per day, 7 days per week. Getting the excess weight off was key for me being able to exercise, and exercise is key to being healthy. It is as important as being a healthy weight. I am 61 years old, and if I can do it, anyone, with no health limitations, can do it. Wishing success to all!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It's possible to lose weight by amputating limbs too.

That comment is not nice or necessary, is it?

If all you want is weight loss....

I didn't say that's all I want. I was curious as to how much calorie reduction alone can cause weight loss. As I said, I will be exercising as well.

It will cause weight loss. You will lose fat, some muscle, some fluid and possibly some bone density. If you exercise while cutting calories you will keep more muscle and bone while losing mostly fat.

So, it really has to do with your goals: Do you want to lose scale weight? Or do you want to reduce your body fat percentage?
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    bump.

I think you can but your body won't look as good without exercise.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The girl asks one question (to which the answer is YES), she gets a bunch of smart*sses trying to tell her what she "should" do. I hate when people say "you should lift." or "you should exercise because..." Yeah, yeah, we all know exercise has 1,001 benefits. If she doesn't want to, let it be.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    The girl asks one question (to which the answer is YES), she gets a bunch of smart*sses trying to tell her what she "should" do. I hate when people say "you should lift." or "you should exercise because..." Yeah, yeah, we all know exercise has 1,001 benefits. If she doesn't want to, let it be.

Yes, please, continue lecturing others on how you believe they should not give unsolicited advice to others.

:flowerforyou:
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options

Yes, please, continue lecturing others on how you believe they should not give solicited advice to others.

:flowerforyou:

Fixed it for you. :)

Not to mention that the OP already said she appreciated everyone's positive input and is taking the advice about resistance training!

Sheesh.