Don't be shocked..............

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
If you think you have big legs and it's solely from genetics, I have to tell you that if you are/were very overweight/obese, chances are they are big because of the weight they had to support.
If you've watched the Biggest Loser, you'll notice that many of the contestants have big thighs and calves. Well if you had to carry
100+ pounds on your back and walk around with it daily for awhile (and be on a calorie surplus) I can pretty much guarantee that you'll add some muscle in the legs.
Can the legs be reduced in size? Well to a point if we're talking fat. If we're talking muscle, then muscle atrophy has to happen and that happens from non use of the muscle or severe calorie deficit (practically starvation). Not likely that many will stop using their legs to make them smaller.
What's the point here? Learn to embrace what you have with your legs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Ya know what's weird though? I do have big legs (24" thighs, and 15" calves) genetically I guess (I've never been obese) but my mother had a big gut and boobs and skinny legs. None of my aunts on either sides are big legged. They are all big bellied and boobed (and yes, mostly overweight or obese). Just my one sister and I are pear shaped.

/end random rambling.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Ya know what's weird though? I do have big legs (24" thighs, and 15" calves) genetically I guess (I've never been obese) but my mother had a big gut and boobs and skinny legs. None of my aunts on either sides are big legged. They are all big bellied and boobed (and yes, mostly overweight or obese). Just my one sister and I are pear shaped.

/end random rambling.
    Ha ha! So what about your father's side? You still have half of his genetics?

IDEA Fitness member
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So for every obese person, is a potential power lifter just waiting to get out.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Never been more than 10 pounds overweight, legs are enormo. Can't remember measurements but I can't wear most women's boots because the calves are too tight. Haaaaate them. Some is def fat, and its the last place it will come off, but I'm well within normal BMI now and they're still such tree trunks! I'm hoping distance running and a lack of intense lower body strength training will trim them up...
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Actually, my legs are prettty small, considering my size, and they have gotten smaller as I've been working out (cardio and strength training). Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am just screwed then LOL. I always have muscular legs when I was of average size and now when I still have 70lbs to go at least, I am doing c25k so running is going to completely screw myself of having smaller legs =/
  • PaliDNAnge
    PaliDNAnge Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I completely agree ninerbuff. I've always had large thighs and calves and ankles for that matter. I can't find any boots that zip up. lol I've been considerably overweight since the day I was born. I eventually figured out that my legs are large because they've had to support so much extra weight, or at least that's what made sense to me. haha I learned to accept it and accept that I probably won't be able to find knee-high boots unless I get them custom made. On the up side, I like to think I have really good lower body strength. Sometimes I'll go walking with a friend of mine (who happens to be thing), and she mentions her legs are sore, but mine aren't. I'll attribute that to my large legs. hehe =) Love what you have. It makes life easier when we have enough to stress about.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    So for every obese person, is a potential power lifter just waiting to get out.
    Some of the strongest clients I've had started out heavy. I have a 5'2" female who is about 185lbs right now and leg presses 500lbs. Does she have too? Nope. She does it because she can.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I am just screwed then LOL. I always have muscular legs when I was of average size and now when I still have 70lbs to go at least, I am doing c25k so running is going to completely screw myself of having smaller legs =/
    Well, not completely. As you get smaller and lose weight, the circumference you your legs should get smaller too.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I've always had muscular legs, even when I was young and thin. But I bet they are quite strong now. I actually just realized a few days ago that I have an impressive amount of muscle. I have 130+ lbs of LBM, that's more lean body mass than many athletic but thin women. I'm upping my protein more every day and I'm determined to keep my muscle as I lose and build even more with strength training. (I got my RMR tested yesterday and I was surprised but pleased that it is a robust 1701... due in part to my muscle mass I suspect).

I actually like my powerful thighs and look forward to the day when my chiseled, rock hard calves can again be seen from under the layer of fat that currently conceals them. I'll let my waist be dainty... I'm proud of my powerful legs. :flowerforyou:
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Love my powerhouse legs. They aren't huge anymore (21.5" thighs, 14.5" calves), but they are strong!
  • mrsjoyw
    mrsjoyw Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Wow this is interesting and somewhat inspiring to me! I'd LOVE to have big legs! Right now theyre big and fat (lol) but once this weight comes off you mean I may potentially have walnut cracking thighs!?!?? YES! Let the lunges and squats continue!!
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I got muscular calves from my dad and I love them. I can't wear tall boots but I am ok with that. My brothers are all jealous they got my moms skinny calves and have to work 3x as hard as I do to have any shape in them. :bigsmile: