My face gets BRIGHT red when working out. Help!

Options
1235»

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I know just how you feel! I'm so self conscious about it though that I have to work out with makeup on! I know, silly right?

yes
  • TomTomato
    TomTomato Posts: 223
    Options
    I turn red too. I figure it's just increased blood flow. I don't have high blood pressure. It would be a much bigger concern if you were turning blue. Then you have a problem.
  • Momm22boys
    Options
    I look like I'm terribly sunburned after a hard workout. I've had strangers suggest I use sunblock since "redheads need to be careful in the sun."
  • Apicius
    Apicius Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use a gel facial serum after a shower after a run since I am still red. Cools your face as it evaporates and takes some of the redness away. I imagine something like aloe vera gel would also work.
  • mombieocalypse
    Options
    I turn red too. I figure it's just increased blood flow. I don't have high blood pressure. It would be a much bigger concern if you were turning blue. Then you have a problem.

lol It's all about perspective. Thanks.
  • SusieMarie1
    SusieMarie1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, wow i had no idea that i wasn't alone out there with this red thing. One time, I had been working out and then washed up, and had then dried my face a little roughly with those awful brown sandpaperesque paper towels you find in public bathrooms. After the workout, the soap and the rough drying, i pulled the towels away from my face and some woman almost screamed! worst reaction ...e.v.e.r.!.!

I LIKE this antihistamine idea, i take it is supposed to be the "Benadryl" type? Maybe not want to use it every time i work out but maybe at least on the occasion if i work out with a guy, i mean who wants to scare people?

I wanted to reply to you, because I was hoping you would share what kind of foundation do you use that helps you so much with this? I use Revelon ColorStay, it's true to it's name, and i have oily skin so with a red nose (it always seems to start there so even a regular day i might get a redder nose and this stuff does pretty good at staying put compared to other foundation formulas, I'm interested in anyone's info on brands they use, especially if they use pro makeup and know where to find it. As an art director, I used to get some from one of the make up artists that i worked with, and that some of that stuff is designed to even cover tats) it seems to have a green tinge to the base (at least in the color ranges that i use, Sand beige) But i actually have a natural green/yellow/olive tone to my skin, even if pale, and i would tan well if i didn't react so poorly to sunlight (heat exhaustion)

From what I've learned, depending on how strong you can tolerate it, it's not just being fair skinned, it's how our cooling system works, i notice that I don't sweat much and perhap this has to do with how I don't cool off properly and the thing is, your brain absolutely cannot overheat, and it is the body's response to efforts to cool your head that if it gets too hot, it causes the blood flow to the surface in order to further help the blood to cool, so it's a getting a little too hot-blooded that causes this flushing. Others whose cooling mechanism/ (including sweating?) and do this better, seem to have less of this response, I'm jealous because I always wished I could tolerate the heating up better without sun exhaustion, potential heat stroke or wanting to pass out. I wonder if anyone else has a correlation like mine?

Obviously this is a sore subject for me, so i was so glad to see this topic and the responses. Thank you all for sharing! I feel better somehow that I am not alone in this.
  • nmuwildcat
    nmuwildcat Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    lol! I'm also a redhead with fair skin. I blush easily as well. When I exercise I get as red as a tomato. It's embarrassing, but nothing much I can do about it. I'd rather just become healthy than spend my time worrying about how I look while I'm at it!
  • SusieMarie1
    SusieMarie1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I liked your response, and i'm also supportive of anyone wanting to present their best self, and if some people naturally don't have to contend with this red face thing, what's the harm in those who do in not wanting to look worse or alarming others? *)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I just gotta chime in and join this club. Me too!
  • thehka
    thehka Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    <- look at this face. im a brown woman and as it says on my profile: i always turn such an unhealthy shade of red when i workout hahah. oh well D:
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Yup - pale with blonde hair, blue eyes and freckles. I'm sure trainers must think i'm going to pass out when I feel totally awesome. I stopped worrying about it a long time ago. Doesn't matter what I do, I just get red easily.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I also get super red. Gonna try the antihistamine thing.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Do you have a photo of your face that red?
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My old bald head gets red
  • Fauxy5
    Fauxy5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I doubt that will work. I'm on Zyrtec and singular, every day, 9 months out of the year. My face turns almost purple during workouts. Which is how I ended up here. :-)
  • miss_holly01
    miss_holly01 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I get this too. I just try not to worry about it. I take antihistamines for allergies and still get it. I'm blond haired, blue eyed, pale and I don't sweat a lot so I guess this correlates with what others have said above.
  • CWonder003
    CWonder003 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    So does mine... it makes me look like I'm about to die. I sometimes look almost purple! I think it it because my fact doesn't really sweat, like the rest of my body does. I'm also pretty pale.
  • Nitamarie434
    Nitamarie434 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So great to come across this topic. I'm in the club too. Even my husband comments and he knows I've just come back from a run. I prefer to run in the evening when it's cooler, so that helps :blushing: