Need advice, new.

Options
Hi,

I'm Kaylee. I joined yesterday and just getting the hang of the site. I was just reading a post where people shouldn't eat at "1200" calories because they won't lose weight. Yet MFP set me at 1350 calories. That's just 150 calories extra, should I be worried?

I also would like advice on exercise. I'm a person who doesn't go out, because I lack confidence and feel as if everybody's judging me out in public. Also hate busy places and in central London.. that's hard to get away from. I'm a size 22 and just feel like a huge blob of a monster walking about. So what exercises could I do at home?

Also, I don't talk to my family and I have no friends. Only a boyfriend, who keeps trying to drag me out with his mates but I just can't go cause I'm scared they'll judge me. Plus I met my boyfriend via a dating website.. that's how much I hate going outside. He lives with me and he has an exercise bike, I'm thinking of asking him if I can use it to lose weight.

Another question I have, is there anything you recommending I cut out or even eat more? I'm on a low budget money wise so I doubt I'd get enough protein for a start.

Replies

• SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 cals

been on this site 3 weeks, however have lost weight on myown

wk 1 loss .800gms
    wk 2 loss.800 gms
    wk 3 loss 1.2 kg

i exercise and eat those extra cals I have no worries with that amount of cals, I'm only short 5'2

each to their own, if you can get to know your body it helps
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Hiya Kaylee, I live near you in Greenwich! I have been doing this body weight workout 3 times a week. http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
    It's a beginners thing and you don't need much besides something to lift (I filled up a milk jug with water). I just slowly build up the amount I do, I couldn't do the whole workout at first!
    I also do HIIT training on a stationary cycle and I alternate between pedaling really hard for 30 seconds and a more casual speed for 1:30 seconds and repeat for about 20 minutes. I also do a lot of walking, I have a "fitbit" pedometer that adjusts my daily calories on here based on my walking. I eat back some of my exercise calories depending on how hungry I am, but I set my level to a 1/2 pound a week so I am okay with leaving some of my calories.
    I would recommend waking around maybe Victoria Park, Greenwich Park, Mudchute farm or just around where you live. It'll build up your outdoors confidence with exercise.
  • Bioc
    Bioc Posts: 96
    Options
    Right, you're new so ignore the post about "don't eat on 1200 calories" blah blah. You don't need to get into that until you understand the site more. Just log you meals, food, snacks and drinks. Drink more water and log exercise. Set yourself a goal to do at least 30mins a day. This will help you lose weight. After a month and a bit? Once you've got the hang of it. Ask about TDEE and BMR. Then you can work out your NEW calorie goal that would work better for you.

If you start to feel as if you're starving? Bump up your calories but because your new, your body will feel weird and that because it's accepting the change.

As for exercise, using the boyfriend's bike would be great. As well as possibly buying 30 Day Shred a fitness DVD you can do at home. Just start of slow, the more weight you lose? The more exercise you'll be able to do.. remember that. Slow and steady wins the race.

Ah, you're not alone on the lack of confidence Kaylee. I myself don't feel happy with how I am and can't wait to be slim. You're not a monster, you're beautiful and even your boyfriend can see that. Doesn't matter how you's met, you's are in love right? He's going to support you 101%, just tell him you're aiming to lose weight.. you're on this site and explain that you'd love to use his bike. Plus also have his support.

As for the low budget, just eat more veg's that'll help you lose weight. Go to local markets and buy vegs there. As for the protein if you're like me? Can't afford meats.. buy a protein shake. I currently steal some of my boyfriend's when he's around mine. But when I got money I'll be buying myself a sack to make sure I get enough protein.

Look I'm no expert, far from it. I ask for advice all the time on here.. but just sharing my knowledge with you. Good luck.
  • Bioc
    Bioc Posts: 96
    Options
    Hiya Kaylee, I live near you in Greenwich! I have been doing this body weight workout 3 times a week. http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
    It's a beginners thing and you don't need much besides something to lift (I filled up a milk jug with water). I just slowly build up the amount I do, I couldn't do the whole workout at first!
    I also do HIIT training on a stationary cycle and I alternate between pedaling really hard for 30 seconds and a more casual speed for 1:30 seconds and repeat for about 20 minutes. I also do a lot of walking, I have a "fitbit" pedometer that adjusts my daily calories on here based on my walking. I eat back some of my exercise calories depending on how hungry I am, but I set my level to a 1/2 pound a week so I am okay with leaving some of my calories.
    I would recommend waking around maybe Victoria Park, Greenwich Park, Mudchute farm or just around where you live. It'll build up your outdoors confidence with exercise.

Just saw this, I'm from Canary Wharf! Hai from across the river lol ♥
  • TheNewKaylee
    Options
    I'm on 1200 cals

been on this site 3 weeks, however have lost weight on myown

wk 1 loss .800gms
    wk 2 loss.800 gms
    wk 3 loss 1.2 kg

i exercise and eat those extra cals I have no worries with that amount of cals, I'm only short 5'2

each to their own, if you can get to know your body it helps

Ah okay and well done on the weight lost :D
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm Kaylee. I joined yesterday and just getting the hang of the site. I was just reading a post where people shouldn't eat at "1200" calories because they won't lose weight. Yet MFP set me at 1350 calories. That's just 150 calories extra, should I be worried?

I also would like advice on exercise. I'm a person who doesn't go out, because I lack confidence and feel as if everybody's judging me out in public. Also hate busy places and in central London.. that's hard to get away from. I'm a size 22 and just feel like a huge blob of a monster walking about. So what exercises could I do at home?

Also, I don't talk to my family and I have no friends. Only a boyfriend, who keeps trying to drag me out with his mates but I just can't go cause I'm scared they'll judge me. Plus I met my boyfriend via a dating website.. that's how much I hate going outside. He lives with me and he has an exercise bike, I'm thinking of asking him if I can use it to lose weight.

Another question I have, is there anything you recommending I cut out or even eat more? I'm on a low budget money wise so I doubt I'd get enough protein for a start.

i am presuming 1350 is based on losing 2lbs per week? which is fine if you have over 50lbs to lose, as your body can handle a significant calorie deficit. make sure yo ueat back exercise calories though, thats how MFP is designed to work.

definitly go on your boyfriends exercise bike, but also look at body weight strength training - press ups, situps, squats, lunges etc as you want lots of nice strong muscle left when you lose the fat!

as for food, work on getting your 5 a day in fruit and veg, and plenty of protein, from lean meat, eggs, fat free greek yoghurt etc etc and cut back on processed carbs. it doesnt have to be expensive, you just have to do a little research & learning.
  • TheNewKaylee
    Options

Hi! Yeah I live at Aldgate, right next to the city! Awesome, when my internet stops being slow I'm going to look at that link. Plus you know that bike thing? Dont think I'd be able to do it yet as I'm not exactly fit and healthy at the moment lol. Thanks though! Yeah, I'm going to start walking from Aldgate to the London Eye as its a nice walk down the river. Thanks though and you can eat back the calories you've used? Awesome! :D
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I am on 1200 also and add my exercise calories so I can eat 1400-1500/day. I am maintaining. When losing, it was 1300 or so. I am 53yrs old, 5'2" and small so..that is all. I know it does not sound like much but I have tried increasing and I gain so... this is it. I have been maintaining for 9 months and I still am getting used to it.

A few suggestions that have worked for me. I weigh myself every morning. This is controversial as you must be prepared for +/- gains or loss of 1-3 lbs. This is water weight not fat unless you are pigging out. I do this and watch the trend over time. I find that weighing myself everyday keeps me from stuffing things into my mouth as I will have to "face the scale"!! I log my food and exercise and try to keep to the plan.
  • TheNewKaylee
    Options
    Right, you're new so ignore the post about "don't eat on 1200 calories" blah blah. You don't need to get into that until you understand the site more. Just log you meals, food, snacks and drinks. Drink more water and log exercise. Set yourself a goal to do at least 30mins a day. This will help you lose weight. After a month and a bit? Once you've got the hang of it. Ask about TDEE and BMR. Then you can work out your NEW calorie goal that would work better for you.

If you start to feel as if you're starving? Bump up your calories but because your new, your body will feel weird and that because it's accepting the change.

As for exercise, using the boyfriend's bike would be great. As well as possibly buying 30 Day Shred a fitness DVD you can do at home. Just start of slow, the more weight you lose? The more exercise you'll be able to do.. remember that. Slow and steady wins the race.

Ah, you're not alone on the lack of confidence Kaylee. I myself don't feel happy with how I am and can't wait to be slim. You're not a monster, you're beautiful and even your boyfriend can see that. Doesn't matter how you's met, you's are in love right? He's going to support you 101%, just tell him you're aiming to lose weight.. you're on this site and explain that you'd love to use his bike. Plus also have his support.

As for the low budget, just eat more veg's that'll help you lose weight. Go to local markets and buy vegs there. As for the protein if you're like me? Can't afford meats.. buy a protein shake. I currently steal some of my boyfriend's when he's around mine. But when I got money I'll be buying myself a sack to make sure I get enough protein.

Look I'm no expert, far from it. I ask for advice all the time on here.. but just sharing my knowledge with you. Good luck.

Oh okay? I will and I don't like water lol. More into fizzy drinks but I guess that'll have to change. Thank you though.
  • TheNewKaylee
    Options
    Hi,

i am presuming 1350 is based on losing 2lbs per week? which is fine if you have over 50lbs to lose, as your body can handle a significant calorie deficit. make sure yo ueat back exercise calories though, thats how MFP is designed to work.

definitly go on your boyfriends exercise bike, but also look at body weight strength training - press ups, situps, squats, lunges etc as you want lots of nice strong muscle left when you lose the fat!

as for food, work on getting your 5 a day in fruit and veg, and plenty of protein, from lean meat, eggs, fat free greek yoghurt etc etc and cut back on processed carbs. it doesnt have to be expensive, you just have to do a little research & learning.

Yeah 2 lbs a week cause I'm 112kg and I want to get down to 60kg. I'm sure my body would be able to handle it.. I hope. Yay! So glad you can eat back your exercise calories. I was getting worried lol :S

He said I can use it and he said he'd help me learn them situps and that if I'm serious about losing weight.

Oh okay, I'll try and eat mroe of my five a day and thank you.
  • Orient_Charm
    Orient_Charm Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    in 4.5 months on 1200 calories, I lost 16 kg.
    (For who say you shouldn't eat only 1200 : Am I a super man ? )
  • TheNewKaylee
    Options
    I am on 1200 also and add my exercise calories so I can eat 1400-1500/day. I am maintaining. When losing, it was 1300 or so. I am 53yrs old, 5'2" and small so..that is all. I know it does not sound like much but I have tried increasing and I gain so... this is it. I have been maintaining for 9 months and I still am getting used to it.

A few suggestions that have worked for me. I weigh myself every morning. This is controversial as you must be prepared for +/- gains or loss of 1-3 lbs. This is water weight not fat unless you are pigging out. I do this and watch the trend over time. I find that weighing myself everyday keeps me from stuffing things into my mouth as I will have to "face the scale"!! I log my food and exercise and try to keep to the plan.

Ah.. okay. I may just see how 1350 does for me. Erm, I may weigh myself everyday.. not to sure cause if I see it going up? I'll get upset.
  • TheNewKaylee
    Options
    in 4.5 months on 1200 calories, I lost 16 kg.
    (For who say you shouldn't eat only 1200 : Am I a super man ? )

lol superman :P
  • kathiewoods3
    kathiewoods3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Kathie and I too was a size 22-24 and I am not a fan of excercise either but I love the Leslie Sansone walking dvd's they are great excercise and I do them at home, I have lost 44 pounds in 9 months keep in mind that I have had 2 plato's where I went back and forth 5 pounds then went back to losing it has been great and she has different dvd's that you can switch with so as not to get bored. you have done great to start, keep it up and just try to lose a little at a time, it took time to gain it when you take it off slowly it will stay off better. I also am reading a great book called Made to Crave it helps alot .
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Ah.. okay. I may just see how 1350 does for me. Erm, I may weigh myself everyday.. not to sure cause if I see it going up? I'll get upset.

if you weigh every day there WILL be days your weight goes up.... but it is a good way of learnign how your body reacts to situations/certain food/exercise.

if it'll upset you then stick to weighing weekly, and taking pictures/measuring monthly.

the idea of pictures in your pants might horrify you, but DO IT, seriously, in a couple of months when you look back you will LOVE seeing your progress!
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Since you don't like to exercise outside of your home, try Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home videos. You can take them at your own pace in the beginning and as you lose weight and increase your fitness, you'll be able to keep up with her better.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You say you like carbonated drinks, that will most likely kill your weight loss considering they are full of added sugars and cals. What I would do in that case. Do you like fruit punch or lemonade? Grab crystal light packets and put them in your water. Tastes the same and instead of 150 cals a glass, it's 10 cals. If you like it fizzy, but it in club soda :) Also, make little changes to your diet. I have said this before, but, instead of chocolate, I switched to special K chocolate crisps and granola bars. Instead of ice cream I eat skinny cow ice cream sandwiches and skinny cow cookies and cream truffles, I took dressing and cheese off of pitas, sandwiches and salads (exp lite ranch, I just portion control my lite ranch), for my cheese cravings I eat one string cheese. I cut down my cals for egs (which are very good for you) by using egg substitute. 30 cals an egg instead of 70 and no cholesterol with all of the protein. On days I lift, sometimes I will get a protein shake and herbal tea for breakfast instead of a meal.
    Eat every few hours and try to eat more protein and fiber, it fills you up longer. ALSO LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! If you bored eat a lot, try and drink water first to see if you are really hungry. If you just need a good taste in your mouth, I suggest the crystal lights or gum.
    Another thing I like to do is I switched my workouts to the morning before I do anything else. I get up and have a granola bar to get my metabolism started, head to the gym for an hour. I do 20 minutes of cardio, 15 minutes of abs and anywhere between 10-25 minutes of lifting. Then I follow immediately with a protein shake and herbal tea OR 3 eggs (egg substitute) a slice of whole wheat toast and a banana. I have been losing quite steadily the past few months, but I do not have much left to lose.
    PLEASE do not go over board or stress about your weight loss. It's a journey. And when things get rough or I don't want to work out, I set mini goals for myself (such as, 1/4 of a mile more! Just hit 300 calories burned, Just do one more set, You can bench that bar one more time!) (And usually, if I do this, I end up doing even more than my mini goal :bigsmile: ) and tell myself to look at all of the people who can run longer than you, or can wear the pants you like. It helps a lot.
    GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR JOURNEY!! and I hoped this helped a bit :happy:
  • Charles4Jesus
    Charles4Jesus Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My wife just started 3 weeks ago and lost 9lbs the in the first two weeks @ 1200 cals. She has lost inches as well. I would recommend, to start with, weighing every other week for the first couple months. I think we get hung up too much on weight. If I get to 15 lbs from my goal weight, but I look good in the mirror and my clothes fit like I want them to, I am happy.( I am happy anyway regardless)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm probably going to repeat some of what others have said, but just wanted to add my agreement.

As you're looking to lose more than 100 lbs, aiming to lose 2 lbs a week is realistic and healthy. 1350 sounds a fine place to start. When you have larger fat stores, you can get away with having a largeish calorie deficit. As you get closer to a healthy weight, it's best to change your goals so that you're aiming to lose 1.5 lbs a week, then 1 lb a week etc. So, no - don't worry. Sometimes, people stall, especially when they're restricting calories for a long time. One thing worth considering is having a "diet break" every now and then - every few months say, where you eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks, and then go back to losing. You can read more about that here: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html Of course, it doesn't hurt to eat at maintenance for a while at any point, if it helps psychologically to have a little break. If you find 1350 too restrictive, and you feel you might not be able to sustain it, then you could increase it bit. Most of us are desperate to lose the weight as fast as possible, but slow weight loss is actually not a bad thing.

There are definitely things you can do at home to exercise. There are lots of exercise dvds you can do, if that's your kind of thing. There are also free videos on the internet - youtube has lots. Definitely ask your boyfriend if you can use his exercise bike. That will give you a good cardio workout. Also, google "body weight exercises"; doing some resistance exercise is definitely to be recommended.

As for cutting things out, I would recommend, especially at the beginning, not cutting out anything in particular. In my opinion, one of the hardest parts about losing weight is actually sticking with whatever changes you make. So many people make radical changes to their diets and then find that they can't sustain it after a few weeks and go back to "normal". The beauty of calorie counting is that you can eat what you like, just log it and make sure it fits your goals. As you keep logging, you will probably find that you want to make other changes here and there. Eating more protein is one thing that helps a lot of people. It helps to keep you fuller, and helps your muscles repair themselves from the exercise you'll be doing. Eating more fibre will help keep you full too, and try not to cut your fats too low. Fats are essential for health, and foods with fat in are more satisfying. You don't have to go low carb, and it's not something I would personally recommend, but carbs are less important than protein and fats. Drink lots of fluids to keep well hydrated. What has also worked for me is to keep eating all the foods that I like. One of my favourite foods is chocolate, so I have some nearly every day. Not a huge amount, but I don't always restrict it to "one square of dark chocolate" either. It's all about balance, and making changes that you can live with long term.

Lastly, it sounds like you've got pretty low self esteem at the moment. That's something to definitely work on right from the beginning. One thing they don't tell you about weight loss is that you don't suddenly start liking yourself when you lose the weight. Self esteem really does come from inside. Start treating yourself kindly. I can understand not wanting to go out, but try to change that. Take baby steps, but try not to isolate yourself, as it makes things a lot worse. You're not a monster. Being overweight doesn't make you a horrible person, and honestly, people won't be judging you anywhere near as harshly as you're judging yourself. Being overweight doesn't mean you're a freak. There are lots of people your size, and much bigger, who go out and are confident and outgoing. I was in your position once, but I realised that I was shutting myself away because of my own lack of confidence and fears and self-loathing. I realised that people saw me in a completely different way to how I saw myself. All the fears were in my head. Of course, some people are judgemental, but that's true whatever you look like. Some people just aren't very nice. Most people don't give two hoots what other people look like.

Your boyfriend wants to take you out with his mates - I bet he's desperate to have you get to know them, and I'm sure they'd love to get to know you too. I'm sure he wouldn't want you to meet them if he thought they'd judge you. Why would it matter to them if you're overweight? He's happy to be with you, and that's all that matters. They want to know you as a person, not your body. Take advantage of the opportunity to make some new friends.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi Kaylee

I put your details into a TDEE calculator and came up with your TDEE being 2794 calories. It suggests you eat about 2200 calories a day to lose weight.

However when i weighed 115kg, eating 14-1800 a day worked for me. I am 5ft 4

You basically need to eat less than 2794 a day, eating exactly 2794 will mean you maintain your weight, eating more will gain weight (and we are talking long term here, if you eat 3500 calories one day and 1500 the rest of the week, DO NO PANIC! Right now at 92kg I eat 1500-1600 a day plus exercise calories.

Just be careful eating so few calories, its harder to stick with it and you are still going to lose weight eating 1800 a day. Its better to do it right and slowly than rush the loss and put it back on later.

I used this calculator http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ you should check it out and change your goals every time you lose 2-3kg

Also as for protein increase, I buy this whey protein and have a shake most mornings with almond milk or water http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/sports-supplements-protein-optimum-health-ultimate-whey-protein-908g-bags Its the cheapest one I have seen and has good results. The vanilla and strawberry flavours are really nice.

Thats my breakfast most days, and most work days, lunch isa 1.5L tupperwear FULL of salad (cheap from Aldi) with ham or turkey (cheap from Aldi) and a little bit - 30g cheese & reduced fat salad cream. And today, I couldnt eat it because I was too full.

You can add me if you like, since we have similar goals, but I will harass you if you dont eat enough. I am in Birmingham.