how do you stay motivated EVERY.SINGLE.DAY?

Options

Replies

• daveymac1
    daveymac1 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I just don't like what I see in the mirror. Don't like how my clothes fit. I have some really nice clothes I wanna fit my fat *kitten* into, so that's my motivation. Is it vain? Possibly. Do I care? Nope!!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I'm not motivated to brush my teeth every day either, but I do that anyways.

I decided my health and happiness are more important, and I am WORTH changing myself. I accepted who I was, and loved myself just the way I was, but I wanted to change it. I also allow myself to not be perfect and accepted that. That means I can go over my calories, or take a rest day, and not feel guilty and get back to it the next day/meal/workout. I log it all now, too (the good AND the bad).

Exercise is a daily habit now. I know I'll feel better after I do! "I really regretted that workout...said no one ever!!" I also view food as fuel - therefore if I put crap in, I get crap out! Crap performance, and generally feel like crap. Those things are more important to me than what I put in my gullet.

I started playing rugby 3 years ago, 50lb heavier than I am now, and I couldn't even jog around the pitch once. I got in shape for myself, and my teammates. I've got 14 other people on that field relying on me to play my best, and that required a lot of work!
  • Suzanuh
    Suzanuh Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I toss all my clothes that get too big for me. My motivation is I am cheap and don't want to have to buy fat clothes ever again. I also stay motivated by taking pictures of my progress. Sometimes it's really hard to see daily, but if you take a weekly or monthly picture you can see the changes and it makes you want to keep working at it.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I toss all my clothes that get too big for me. My motivation is I am cheap and don't want to have to buy fat clothes ever again.

This, too. If my pants get too tight, I gotta do something about it!!!
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    by knowing that one day i can go to the people who called me fat and show them my abs and yell suck it!
  • FaithfulToIt
    Options
    100% honesty.. it fine to take a bit here and there count it track it and see how it adds up. The best part of MFP is the visual aspect. Once you see those wasted nibbling calories you will be less likely to continue to eat that way. BUT stay honest with yourself in tracking count everything!
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Remember these three rules.

It takes 4 weeks for you to start noticing changes in your body.
    It takes 8 weeks for your friends to start noticing changes in your body.
    In takes 12 weeks for the world to start noticing changes in your body.

There is no quick fix. I stay motivated by being fixed on a long-term goal and making sacrifices for it. When you start noticing the changes it becomes easier though, and you become more motivated to succeed.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    And lot of people have already said it.
    It's a lifestyle change. Moderation. Commitment. Wanting it bad enough.
    Also, once you do something for so long it becomes a habit, I don't even think twice about logging my food.
    Exercise should be like an appointment you can't miss.

You can do it :)
  • Susan_fessler
    Susan_fessler Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I keep a picture of my in my undies and bra that truly show how fat and bad I look on my bathroom mirror so I see it every day, that is all it takes to keep me going and eating a carrot stick and not a cookie. I also have a picture of a reward that I am work towards by the fat picture.
  • jenf330
    jenf330 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My motivation is a lot of the stuff mentioned here, but also one other silly thing that keeps me going. I'm doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution and it came with an exercise calendar that tells you which workouts to do on what days. When I started, I posted it on my fridge and began to cross them off as I completed them. It's such a ridiculous thing, but when I'm on the couch and don't want to get up, I realize I will have a workout that's not checked off and that's enough to motivate me. It's weird, yes, but I don't question it :smile:
  • Snatched614
    Snatched614 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    By thinking more so about the END result. Starting to think of exercise more so as a JOB! In order to get the paycheck I must put in the work...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    This post resonated with me. For me the key isnt motivation, it's a decision.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818701-the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Motivation can be a big problem for some people and this has been the case in the past for me too. However, I have several rules I follow to ensure that I keep being motivated:

Motivation:

a) Keep a photo of your old self in your wallet, on the desk in work, wherever you are. It will remind you why you are doing what you doing;

b) Role model - Have a role model. Follow them on Twitter, look at their training methods, diets etc. Immerse yourself in their world and compare it to your diet and training regimes. For me, it is the Rock (Dwayne Johnson);

c) Quotes - My favourite is 'To be something you've never been, you've got to do something you've never done'. Find one that works for you and remember it.

Rules:

1) Food - Eat only the foods which are single-product items e.g. dairy, meat, veg and fruit. Anything that is processed, mixed or fake is bad. Period.

2) Sugar - This is hidden everywhere. Sugary drinks are the worst as you cant gauge their levels of sugar by looking at it.

3) Fat - Eat fat. Seriously. Eating fat can help to burn fat as it is required as part of the oxidation cycle. Anything that says low fat or fat-free, leave. NB - Fat should be taking in moderation, however.

4) High-Intensity exercise - Contrary to believe and misinformation, low-intensity, long duration exercise may be the best at burning fat in terms of a percentage but over time, it works out inferior due to what is known as the 'afterburn' with high-intensity exercise (HIIT);

5) Enjoyment - Find an activity you enjoy doing and you'll find it much easier to stick to. My achilles was running. First I ran 1 mile then 2 and 3 with music. Now I can run 10 miles with no music whatsoever;

6) Websites - Such as bodybuilding.com are my staple for motivation and tips. So much advice on there. You may not be into that sort of thing. However, there's weight-loss, nutrition, supplementation information also.

I could go on, good luck!
  • RachaelKaye4
    RachaelKaye4 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My best friend Frankii_x; we do a bootcamp together every morning at 6am even though she lives in England and I live in Northern Ireland. She even rings me every morning to make sure Im up for our work out :) We're going on holiday to Spain on 15th June 2013 and I cant wait! :) xxxx
  • AJL437
    AJL437 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    A couple things:
    1. I have a calendar reminder that goes off every morning that says "I am getting skinnier every day." Having that little mantra hit me in the face in the morning really helps.
    2. I ONLY focus on today. I actually don't think about the long term or my future goals. I just think about today. I made two commitments to myself on January 1st of this year: I will log my calories every day. I will work out every day. Somedays I log 2x my daily calories, but I log my calories. I have lost 20 lbs since Jan 1.
  • runninginplace
    runninginplace Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It helps me to stay motivated by allowing myself "treats" every single day. I eat ice cream or some sort of dessert almost everyday, (sometimes more than once in a day!) Make some of your favorite foods fit into your daily goal and it won't seem so bad.

Agree with this. Don't deny yourself everything "bad"; build it into your calorie goals. I've found when I totally cut out something, like sweets, I'm more likely to binge on it later. But if I'm satisfying that craving in moderation, I can be more consistent.
  • runninginplace
    runninginplace Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My best friend Frankii_x; we do a bootcamp together every morning at 6am even though she lives in England and I live in Northern Ireland. She even rings me every morning to make sure Im up for our work out :) We're going on holiday to Spain on 15th June 2013 and I cant wait! :) xxxx

That's cool. What a great way to stay connected to your friend as well as leveraging each other's motivation!
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Are you one of the three girls in your profile pic? If so, it will probably take you longer than 16 weeks to lose 25 lb. When you are already lean, you cannot expect more than half a pound to a pound a week. You also have to be quite precise about logging your intake, because the deficit has to be kept fairly low.

So, as far as advice on motivation: tempering your expectations (as above) is important. Also, if you don't like exercising, don't torture yourself. You don't need to work out to lose weight--just log your intake accurately and consistently, and keep the deficit small or else you'll be hangry all the time and won't stick with it.

hey! im the one on the left but now im 10 lbs heavier!! and in the pic, i still wanted to lose 10-15 lbs. i was 140 in that picture. i set it as my profile to have it as a daily motivator!

Ah, well, still--the thing to understand about MFP is that it allows you to set a "2 lbs a week" weight loss goal, but it's not a good idea for someone who is within the normal BMI or just a few clicks above it. If you take it slow, you'll get better results, trust me.

thanks! i definitely dont want to go fast. ive done that soooo many times and it ALWAYS results in regaining. SO FRUSTRATING. i finally acknowledged this time that it's gonna be looong. I'm not gonna lie i didnt think longer than 16 weeks (lol...dammit) but TBH im not even sad. as long as i LOSE IT, and KEEP IT OFF i am 100% happy. thanks for your help! <3!

This is very much my problem too, i'm far too impatient! I want to lose another 9/10lbs, and the thought that it could takes months is seriously depressing because i wan to be thin NOW god damnit! It can be a difficult thing to accept. but it's one that you have to, because the desire to lose weight ASAP can lead to starving which is never good. Sounds like you've accepted the fact it will be a long process though, and the fact that you are doing it sensibly will definitely work out better in the long run. Keep it up :)
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Are you one of the three girls in your profile pic? If so, it will probably take you longer than 16 weeks to lose 25 lb. When you are already lean, you cannot expect more than half a pound to a pound a week. You also have to be quite precise about logging your intake, because the deficit has to be kept fairly low.

So, as far as advice on motivation: tempering your expectations (as above) is important. Also, if you don't like exercising, don't torture yourself. You don't need to work out to lose weight--just log your intake accurately and consistently, and keep the deficit small or else you'll be hangry all the time and won't stick with it.

hey! im the one on the left but now im 10 lbs heavier!! and in the pic, i still wanted to lose 10-15 lbs. i was 140 in that picture. i set it as my profile to have it as a daily motivator!

Ah, well, still--the thing to understand about MFP is that it allows you to set a "2 lbs a week" weight loss goal, but it's not a good idea for someone who is within the normal BMI or just a few clicks above it. If you take it slow, you'll get better results, trust me.

thanks! i definitely dont want to go fast. ive done that soooo many times and it ALWAYS results in regaining. SO FRUSTRATING. i finally acknowledged this time that it's gonna be looong. I'm not gonna lie i didnt think longer than 16 weeks (lol...dammit) but TBH im not even sad. as long as i LOSE IT, and KEEP IT OFF i am 100% happy. thanks for your help! <3!
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Remembering what you want to achieve in the end.