when you reach your goal weight.

Options
2»

Replies

• carolmcgov
    carolmcgov Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal weight about a month ago and then decided to drop just a couple more pounds. Right now I'm maintaining and loving this phase! This morning I actually weighed in a few pounds below my goal weight so I now have some wiggle room for the weekend. :) Now that the hard part is behind me, I can concentrate on toning more. :) I find that you just have to keep tweaking as you go . . . until you are happy! :)

You look great in your avi, well done ! Love your arms !
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I overshot my goal weight by quite a bit, and think I look too thin. I am not trying to deliberately gain back because I know bounce backs happen, but won't resist gaining up to 10 lbs from where I am (I'm quite large framed and look a little bony).

I had a hard time seeing how thin I had gotten. I think that's a danger - we still have a 'fat' image of ourselves. I find that photographs do more than the mirror to show you how you really look. I think something about a picture helps us distance and evaluate more objectively. Have someone point their phone at you periodically to get a more realistic view of your appearance.
  • carolmcgov
    Options
    I set a goal weight of 170 last year because that put me in a healthy BMI range. When I acheived that weight it looked healthy....but I still had areas that I needed to slim down. From there I stopped cal counting, but continued to exercise and lost a additional 17 lbs and hit 153lbs. AT that weight I was 100% happy, I just wanted to tighten up/add muscle. BUT the exact month I hit that weight I found out I was pregnant again.Fast forward to now.. I just had my little girl just about a week ago, and am not cleared to exercise... But my plan is to not only get down to 153lbs again, but actually exceed it and hit 150 :-)

Congrats on the weight loss and on your little girl! I have two little girls , 5 and 3 ! If your little one is like mine she will want to join in your exercise before you know it!
  • carolmcgov
    Options
    I overshot my goal weight by quite a bit, and think I look too thin. I am not trying to deliberately gain back because I know bounce backs happen, but won't resist gaining up to 10 lbs from where I am (I'm quite large framed and look a little bony).

I had a hard time seeing how thin I had gotten. I think that's a danger - we still have a 'fat' image of ourselves. I find that photographs do more than the mirror to show you how you really look. I think something about a picture helps us distance and evaluate more objectively. Have someone point their phone at you periodically to get a more realistic view of your appearance.

Totally agree different weights look so different on different people. Even two people of the same height, I think its all about what you feel the best and most comfortable at.
  • amiscci
    amiscci Posts: 64 Member
    Options

^^^ This! First of all, huge props to your incredible accomplishment!
    I too ended up about 10 lbs below my original, never thought I'd get to, goal point. I am happy with the result, but
    realize I am struggling with a body image issue. As you see yourself very slowly change, it's hard to know it's enough
    and I was telling my husband just yesterday I don't feel like I "look" very thin even though I know (pants size etc) that I am.
    When a few people tell you "gone too far", it's time to relax and take a breath, and decide the next challenge. For me, that's to gain a few back and measure that as a successful next goal. And then maintain that :-) I'll still be thin at 5 lbs more-- that's my new goal.
  • BodyCombatGirl73
    BodyCombatGirl73 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I had an original goal of low 140's since I knew that was a good weight for me but when I got there, it was so easy to keep going that I ended up resetting my goal to mid-130's and finally landed at 133 by mid-summer last year (started MFP in May 2012 and I'm 5'8"). What I would say about listening to those around you is very important and it took awhile for me to really "hear" them...at that weight I was too thin, especially on the upper part of my body and face. My bones were sticking out and I kept getting asked if I was tired! :yawn: :frown:

So thankfully, living in a northestern climate means we hibernate a little in the winter and I was able to slowly gain about 5 lbs over the course of the Fall/Winter and find myself at a much "better looking" weight! My clothes all still fit the same because I am quite active and do a variety of things to stay in shape.

So in short, switching from "lose" to "maintenance" can be tough and you constantly have to re-evaluate. I am setting fitness goals for myself and have just added running to my repertoire and have my first 5K race this weekend! Thinking of a 10K for the Fall. But in general, just loving life at the moment! :heart:
  • snooj
    snooj Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My first goal weight was 125 at 5'3". I got down to it, was happy about the weight loss but still wasn't happy with how I looked. I was probably about 25% body fat by then. I'm now about 115 with a goal of 110, and I'll reevaluate then. I'm pretty happy right now with my body, and think 110 will be pretty awesome.
  • carolmcgov
    Options
    You're around the same as me. Im 5ft5 and 114. Goal is 112
  • BlessedMommy3x
    Options
    I set a goal weight of 170 last year because that put me in a healthy BMI range. When I acheived that weight it looked healthy....but I still had areas that I needed to slim down. From there I stopped cal counting, but continued to exercise and lost a additional 17 lbs and hit 153lbs. AT that weight I was 100% happy, I just wanted to tighten up/add muscle. BUT the exact month I hit that weight I found out I was pregnant again.Fast forward to now.. I just had my little girl just about a week ago, and am not cleared to exercise... But my plan is to not only get down to 153lbs again, but actually exceed it and hit 150 :-)

Congrats on the weight loss and on your little girl! I have two little girls , 5 and 3 ! If your little one is like mine she will want to join in your exercise before you know it!

Thank you.. This is my third little one. my other two (3 & 4 yr old) already workout with me :-)
  • Etienne54
    Etienne54 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Carol, I'm glad you asked this question. It's something that was going through my mind as well. I'm 1 pound away now from my goal, so I've been thinking about this. I'm thinking that I need to shift into maintenance, reduce flab and increase muscle mass. Then after a few months re-evaluate.

Pete, I think I understand where you're coming from. Compared to where I was, I am very happy with the progress I've made. But when your current body becomes the standard you compare yourself with, you can become somewhat harsher. For me, I know that I need to tone up the midsection, and re-add muscle mass that I've lost in the arms and chest. I hope that you gain your weight through muscle and not fat.

Rick

That's exactly what I understood from him too. Like you guys, once I hit my goal, i'll need to gain 20kgs in lean mass which would take me around.. 3-5 years of training (Bulking/cutting). Quite a journey but it'll be fun i'm sure.
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    When I reach my goal weight i'm going to binge for a few days to make sure i can keep the weight. Then start on shredding.