Doing this alone now

Options
Hi All,

Since I started my weight loss journey I always did it with a workout buddy. Well yesterday out of the blues, I got an email from her saying she wants to go her separate way and pretty much this is it, no more contact.
Well first of all I have no idea what bought this on. I asked and she said it was nothing I did and to leave it at that.
2nd things, I never worked out alone and I am worried that I will start coming up with excuses etc. Did anyone else go through that and how did you handle it?

thanks

Replies

• lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Find activities that you love to do and would do, regardless of having a buddy. That helps a lot. Also, I joined a gym and took a lot of group classes. I made friends in the classes and they've turned out to be my exercise buddies.

I've also found that a lot of my gym friends post their workouts and fitness routines on facebook or on MFP. It is motivational to know that, even if I'm not with them, they're working out. I work harder when I know they are working too.
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I do not have a workout buddy and I am also doing it "alone"....funny thing is if you really do use this site and have a few friends that are on the same journey then you are most certainly NOT alone. Every day I sign in multiple times and see my MFP friends reaching weight goals, staying under their calorie numbers, showing their workouts, and reading posts like this in the message boards so I feel inspired to be able to log my stuff too for a sense of "keeping up" and "reaching achievements of my own". Yes, no one goes out and walks or runs with me....but I couldn't do it without this site that is for sure.

As for why she cut off contact....I did note that you said "SHE"....perhaps she has a significant other who was feeling uncomfortable with her workout buddy being a man. It truely may have nothing to do with you and simply be that her or her SO was not comfortable or insecure about it...while disappointing for you it doesn't mean the end to your search...keep looking for someone to work out with if you truely feel you need it. In the meantime....MFP can, and will, support you if you let it :) HANG IN THERE!
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    You have a goal of running a 10k. Have you considered a beginning (or intermediate) runner's workshop? You'll meet some new people with similar goals and have incentive to keep going. Maybe you'll meet a new buddy.

Ask a good friend to monitor your workout posts and follow up if you miss one. Whenever you're tempted to skip a day consider how the excuse would sound to your friend. "I'm out of clean socks" sounds downright silly when said to a third person.

I've been listening to a book during workouts which I've found to be a great incentive. I reserve the book for workouts only so I'm always eager to get to the new chapter.

P.S. I agree with cbjfan0061. Most likely an SO issue. Some men don't believe it's possible for a male/female relationship to be entirely platonic.