Knee/Joint pain

Options
Hey, I'm just starting running and I want to address this issue. I have pretty bad knee/joint pain. They often crack or feel like they need to. They hurt until I do crack them. I take joint pills that are supposed to help rebuild cartilage and it does help but it's not perfect. I'd really appreciate some tips or ideas.

Replies

• Joniboloney
    Joniboloney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    DON't RUN!

Running will only aggravate your knee joint pain further causing long term problems Find an exercise that is less traumatic on your joints: swimming, biking, walking are some that come to mind. You can still get great cardio in without the pain.

Good luck :smile:
  • youcantfoolme
    youcantfoolme Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a orthopedic doctor for this? This is what I would do. You seem too young to have arthritis.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    fish oil help with my joint, I find kelp the best oil to use. In karate we have use it or loss it, I have bad knees, shoulder and back and I find if I don't stay active they seize up

good luck
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    omega 3 oil and blueberries and full/parallel squats (to build up muscle that supports the knee) have worked for mine :)
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Cracking or popping is harmess. Work on strengthing your knees, but build up slowly.
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    Cross trainers are low impact and good for bad joints if that's a option.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Find some low/no impact exercises and at least start there. When I started trying to get into shape, I wouldn't even consider running, as I was incapable of doing so. I'd severely broken my ankle/leg the previous January and it still hurt (badly) most of the time. I also had knee pain, foot pain (from plantar fascia surgery years ago), lower back pain, and shoulder pain. I mention all of this because I still found a workout program that I could do. A few months later, most of my pain is gone, and I can even run a little.

Hang in there.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    Cracking or popping is harmess.

Wrong...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Could be due to a bunch of things. Do you wear proper running shoes that you were fitted for? Do you do any kind of cross training to strengthen core/back/glutes? Do you stretch well after you run? Do you do a proper warm-up and cool-down?

Your best bet would be to see a Physcial Therapist or some sort of sports doc to make sure your pain isn't going to be made worse by running and have them give you exercises to strengthen other areas which may help.
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    i of course have no knowledge of this but i figure my suggestions might help. what if you didnt run? what if you walked mostly. maybe small intervals or running in between because i feel like your muscles need to build up some more. i would also suggest maybe rebounding (mini trampoline) because supposedly its easier on your joints. just some ideas. i hope you find help.
  • lynn557
    lynn557 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have joint hypermobility and knees that make lovely crunching noises and seem to be constantly in physio! I am on strengthening exercises for the muscles supporting my knees, things like squats, lunges, weight machines for leg curls and extensions and lots of cross trainer for cardio. I do treadmill work but have to watch what I'm doing and as has been said already stretching is a definate must. I have orthotic insoles and trainers for overpronator too, would maybe get your feet checked out too. I also have a foam roller that I use for tight IT band. It might be worth you having a look at tight iliotibial band as this is the cause of lots of knee pain. Hope there is something usefull there.
  • ShinyDragonfly
    ShinyDragonfly Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    A collective response: While I do appreciate the feedback, I think I will continue to train. My hopes is to do the Boston Marathon in 2014. Obviously if it gets worse I will stop but I don't feel it's at that point yet. I do want to address the problem and hopefully correct it before it does get worse though. Also, wouldn't biking be worse than running? I did talk to a friend who runs and he suggested staking Solgar no. 7. It's the newer "improved" version of what I'm taking now. Any opinions on that? He also told me that staying active and having rest days will help the blood flow to the area and rebuild the cartilage. Other than walking around my daily life I only plan to train 3 times a week. I do stretch both before and after I run as well as warm up and cool down.

I have not seen a doctor for it but I will definitely be mentioning it to my doctor when I go to my appointment.
    I will also look into fish/kelp/omega 3 oil, thank you.
    I will add more blueberries to my diet and I'll look into the squats, thank you.

Whether cracking/popping is harmless or not I would like it to stop as it does cause discomfort. Any tips for how to strengthen your knees?

I don't think I know what cross trainers are?
    I will look into all of these ideas, thank you very much.
  • greenfalls107
    greenfalls107 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just read an article that said walking is better than running. Running is hard on your knees, and even your feet. Try walking and see if you knees improved. Good Luck.
  • jaybaack
    jaybaack Posts: 15
    Options
    If you are training and have pain, you will not be able to keep training and your goal of the marathon for 2014 will be a lost dream.
    Talk to your doctor and find out what is going on, don't try to push through it. All you will do is make it worse.

For home remedies, ice your joints. Lay a towel on them, then place a bag of ice on the towel for 20 min. Then off for 20, them back on. See how they feel if you do this 2x a day.

Joint pain = bad (possible damage or strain)
    muscle soreness = good (muscles worked and rebuilding)

A marathon is a big deal as you are going to not only be on your feet, but moving them for over 3 hours straight. If you have knee pain now, you need to get this addressed so you can reach your goal.
  • lynn557
    lynn557 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sorry think you guys call cross trainers eliptical trainers :) no impact and gets your heart going good
  • DesireeAshley90
    DesireeAshley90 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yeah definitely fish oil will help and if you're not taking the osteo-biflex brand then start taking that one! I have joint pain too but feel nothing with taking the osteo-biflex.
  • wickham68
    Options
    I power walk 3 mile x 3 times a week fast pace doing so in about 37 minutes, a lot less impact on knees and good for calorie burn too :-)
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    A collective response: While I do appreciate the feedback, I think I will continue to train. My hopes is to do the Boston Marathon in 2014. Obviously if it gets worse I will stop but I don't feel it's at that point yet. I do want to address the problem and hopefully correct it before it does get worse though. Also, wouldn't biking be worse than running? I did talk to a friend who runs and he suggested staking Solgar no. 7. It's the newer "improved" version of what I'm taking now. Any opinions on that? He also told me that staying active and having rest days will help the blood flow to the area and rebuild the cartilage. Other than walking around my daily life I only plan to train 3 times a week. I do stretch both before and after I run as well as warm up and cool down.

I have not seen a doctor for it but I will definitely be mentioning it to my doctor when I go to my appointment.
    I will also look into fish/kelp/omega 3 oil, thank you.
    I will add more blueberries to my diet and I'll look into the squats, thank you.

Whether cracking/popping is harmless or not I would like it to stop as it does cause discomfort. Any tips for how to strengthen your knees?

I don't think I know what cross trainers are?
    I will look into all of these ideas, thank you very much.

Maybe you already know this, but the Boston Marathon requires a qualifying marathon time before entering (here are some details: http://www.marathonguide.com/news/regfeatures/BostonQualifying.cfm)

As to the joint pain, I would see a doctor before embarking on a rigorous training program -- you don't want to do permanent damage that can keep you sidelined permanently.

Good luck!
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    fish oil supplement, fresh ginger added to food, smoothies... good amount of stretching and warming up before starting to run... but honestly I would start off with power walking until your knees become stronger or the issue is resolved. You can work on strengthening your core and joint flexibility/strength with yoga as well. You shouldn't rush into running when your joints are obviously not happy about it at this time, you will only end up injured and in a worse condition than you started in.