Eating Sawdust

Options
BurtHuttz
BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
Has anyone eaten sawdust as a part of their weight loss journey?
For some reason I think of it as being extremely unhealthy, even though it is very high in insoluble fiber, it is very filling, and has zero calories.

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I'm eating paper, which is even worse, because it is processed, but I can't help myself. Do you have any tips for transitioning to sawdust? Eventually I hope to be chewing bark right off the trees, since whole foods are the best.
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    The feel of sawdust in my hands, the sound of vibrating wood while cutting through it. The drip of sweat on the wood while putting in hard work.

Come on now, you can joke about anything...but don't joke about saw dust. That's my favorite hobby!
  • _Wonder_Woman_
    Options
    My favorite part about eating sawdust are the crumbs!!! Fresh Sawdust, mmmmmmmmmmm!!!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I'm eating paper, which is even worse, because it is processed, but I can't help myself. Do you have any tips for transitioning to sawdust? Eventually I hope to be chewing bark right off the trees, since whole foods are the best.

I understand that the highly refined wood pulps have less benefit as fiber and are a lot less filling. Even worse they use bleach and a lot of really unhealthy ingredients. I haven't eaten any sawdust myself but was hoping to hear some stories and tips. I'll be learning right along with you here. Also - I do know that whole woods are the best. I don't know how people can do that though; in it's original form it's pretty hard to chew up.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes there's wood pulp in fibrous bread.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    This sounds the same as a Ketogenic Diet...
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Pica
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mh3t9tBMQ41qm135p_zps95574ce1.gif
  • _Wonder_Woman_
    Options
    I've lost 30 pounds from simply eating sawdust. I had my doubts at first, but I said don't knock it until you try it. I go and collect the finest of Oak sawdust, right as they are cutting the tree down. Therefore, 90% of the time it's organic. Unless, I've run out and it's raining or snowing out, I'll go to a lumber mill and collect from there. Great stuff!!!
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Does eating sawdust make you poop logs?
  • LibertyBelle89
    Options
    well i seen a woman on tv who ate dryer sheets everyday claiming they help her with her weight loss lol so this isnt that extreme lol.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Has anyone eaten sawdust as a part of their weight loss journey? For some reason I think of it as being extremely unhealthy, even though it is very high in insoluble fiber, it is very filling, and has zero calories.

Stay away from pressure-treated lumber.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    people joke but if you eat shredded cheese that comes in a bag you are eating this stuff
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Oregonian here.....can't you find something to consume besides our trees.

GO DUCKS
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Food grade saw dust is called cellulose. It's in a lot of stuff to add fiber without calories.

As for eating actual unprocessed saw dust - If you happen to be a ruminant, I hear that hard woods are more nutritious.

http://extension.psu.edu/prepare/emergencyready/drought/dairylivestock/sawdust
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    ............I dread to think what kind of thread inspired this......... :noway:

I think it would be better if you gnawed the wood directly from the trees. That way your teeth get a good workout and you burn extra calories.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I enjoy eating wood occasionally.....

Oh wait...
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Has anyone eaten sawdust as a part of their weight loss journey? For some reason I think of it as being extremely unhealthy, even though it is very high in insoluble fiber, it is very filling, and has zero calories.

Quit spreading this bullcr*p. Everything's fine as long as it fits your macros.
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Maybe you guys should try some scented wooden kitty litter.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Good tip that, the newer treatments just don't have the same flavor and long lasting features. I prefer cypress, and the sander dust goes great as a dessert topping.