Not losing!

Options
I've been doing this diet and exercise thing for almost a month now. I've lost 7 lbs total but now I'm just stuck. I'm doing P90X Lean program and Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred EVERYDAY, but no more weight loss is happening. I do see a change in my body, but I'd like to see the numbers on the scale drop as well. Am I kidding myself to think that it's muscle gain that is keeping me from losing?

Replies

• Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    When that happens to me I immediately start measuring and weighing every thing I consume. Good Luck.
  • viola147
    viola147 Posts: 7
    Options
    Buy some calipers and monitor your body fat percentage, your weight might not be changing but your body composition probably is
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    let me guess, you are eating 1200 calories or some other number that is not even at your BMR.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    7lbs in a month is great. Quit your griping and be more patient.

But to your question...
    If you're not losing then you aren't in a deficit. Make sure your calorie goal is reasonable and that you are measuring and logging as accurately and as honestly as possible.
  • LydsVille77
    LydsVille77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Try mixing up your exercise. And, take a break from the scale. When I feel like I'm "stuck" i stay on track and ignore the scale for a few weeks. Things should pick up on their own if youre doing what youre supposed to be doing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Doing more doesn't mean you'll necessarily lose more. Especially if you're intake is wrong. Why are you doing two programs daily?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kayla7jackson
    Options
    First an foremost, make sure you are eating enough calories. Sometimes the scale doesnt move is because you are trying to burn off something that is not there. I actually just upped my calories because everyday I workout and eat extremely healthy and stay under my calories I end up gaining weight...frustrating, but yesterday I ate a little adventurous and went over my calories and lost a lb. It seems to make no sense but trust me on this one.

If the calories arent the issue it could be that muscle is taking the place of the fat and means although your body is changing, the scale may not budge.

Thank you!
  • Candaroo
    Candaroo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking enough water through out the day. You should be drinking at least 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water. Also, make sure you are taking your measurements. Even though you don't see the number change on the scale your body IS changing. You said it yourself. :-) And remember, it's not about the number on the scale, but how you look! You could have two people 1 who doesnt work out and weighs 115 and one who does work out and weighs 130 and you can bet the heavier person looks better because they have toned and tightened their body. Keep at it!
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You have less than 10lbs to lose. I wouldn't expect to lose more than .5/lb per week.
  • Lammerchops
    Lammerchops Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this diet and exercise thing for almost a month now. I've lost 7 lbs total but now I'm just stuck. I'm doing P90X Lean program and Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred EVERYDAY, but no more weight loss is happening. I do see a change in my body, but I'd like to see the numbers on the scale drop as well. Am I kidding myself to think that it's muscle gain that is keeping me from losing?

You've only provided details on exercising which would account for arguably 30% of the total equation here. P.S. You don't need to exercise every day to lose weight.

We're missing crucial details on your intake, ie, total daily calories, macro breakdowns, etc. Getting these numbers right will be the difference between meeting your goals, and not.
  • mk9562
    mk9562 Posts: 186
    Options
    Why two programs at same time?
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You've lost 7 pounds in a month. That's a fair amount. That's almost 2 pounds a week. Any more than 2 pounds a week is not healthy. And I agree with another poster, make sure you take measurements. If you've just recently added new exercises, then your muscles could be retaining water as well. Once your body gets used to the new routine, you will not retain as much water. But take your time. 7 pounds is great and you should be really happy :)
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    So far I agree with everything that's been said.

1) Make sure you're drinking enough water (I drink a gallon/day)
    2) Make sure you're eating enough and you're eating the right foods (I eat 1800-2000 calories daily, mostly "clean" foods).
    3) Take your measurements instead of the scale. Pay attention to how your clothes are fitting.
    4) Ask yourself why you're so fixated on the number on a mechanical device. Shouldn't the mirror be a better judge than a scale?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Exercise and dieting place stress on the body. With all the excessive exercise and zero rest, you are likely stressing your body out which is causing cortisol to elevate and retain abnormal amounts of water. Cut down to only one program and give yourself at least one day of rest.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    7lbs in a month is great. Quit your griping and be more patient.

this
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Am I reading this right? You say you're "Not losing!" when you have lost 7 pounds in a month....seriously?
  • PandaPudges
    Options
    How much water do you drink a day? I find that if I stall I just up my water intake and it rights all wrongs.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Story time.... I was eating 1200 cals a day not eating back cals I had earned and also not losing a damn thing. Oh I lost the water weight everyone loses but I stopped dead in my tracks at 165 and did not budge from there for 3 months. Well I tried everything no sodium all veggies clean not so clean I didnt move an ounce! I would yoyo the same 5 pounds never getting below 160! I was furious I was working my butt off for nothing! Then I started talking to people who were losing the weight and I noticed something they got to eat way more than I did. At first I rejected the idea of eating more. " I can't eat that much! I'm not that hungery!" Well I got sick of it and tried it moved to lose 1 pound a week and guess what...I am down 17 pounds
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Exercise and dieting place stress on the body. With all the excessive exercise and zero rest, you are likely stressing your body out which is causing cortisol to elevate and retain abnormal amounts of water. Cut down to only one program and give yourself at least one day of rest.
    But I don't wanna!!
    i-don-t-wanna-o_zps1a7e44f6.gif
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    For one you need to watch your sodium as it seems you go over just about every day. You also should only eat half of your exercise calories back because you may be overestimating how many calories your burn. Also 7 pounds in one month is good and your body is still adjusting so give it time