Your fave stupid food myth you've heard

Options

Replies

• EmilyBullough
    EmilyBullough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Pinterest posts stating that drinking a smoothie full of fruit, veggies, yogurt, and peanut butter will make you magically lose weight. Yeah, maybe if you drink that and absolutely nothing else. Calories are calories, dudes, even if they're in the form of a delicious green smoothie.
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    nothing tastes as good as skinny

apparently this person never had a double whopper with cheese no tomato

Your my hero!

Mine too!!
  • bigdgeek
    bigdgeek Posts: 88
    Options
    The one that's bugging me the most right now is the gluten-free thing.

"If you go gluten-free, you'll lose weight!"

How, when most of the gluten-free foods I've seen are higher in calories per serving size than their evil gluten-y counterparts? And when did everyone all of a sudden develop celiac disease?!?!?!?!?
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    if you add hot peppers to your meals, it burns the calories out of the meal (in that respect, i should be dead from starvation by now)

if you dont have enough to make a serving size, it doesnt count.

drinking ice water burns enough calories you can have dessert.

eggs are bad for you.

eating grapefruit before and after each meal burns the calories of that meal (how many people can eat two large grapefruits and STILL want pizza?)

caffiene burns calories, so mainline that shiz!

and my memaw-specific ones:
    ladies should peck at their food out of politeness but never actually eat more than a bite or two.

ladies dont eat on dates, men and cows do.

it is unfeminine to eat meat-women should never eat like they have done hard labor, even if they have.

protein is for men.

canned fruit is more sophisticated than eating a pear or apple off thhe tree-and the fresh stuff is dangerous and may have bugs on it.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    broken cookies have no calories...they all fell out when the cookie broke...
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    chocolate is bad for you...

truth is, avoiding chocolate is bad for you! lol I eat chocolate several times a day and still loose weight!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    People who say <insert food> isn't bad for you because I eat it and lose weight.
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Wine only turns to alcohol if you let it sit out. Vodka goes bad once opened.

This is why I always finish the whole bottle of Vodka!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Tofu tastes really good

I was dared to try it and it was totally gross

Tofu is like any other bean, it can be really good or really nasty, it's all in how you prepare it...
  • iDYG
    iDYG Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Cosmo had an article that said salad was actually bad for you.
  • still_a_caterpillar
    Options
    Not really a myth, but it kind of bothers me when people remind me of the evils of hot dogs. I am not a frequent hot dog-eater, but when I eat them, I know they're made of lips and butts and nitrates and leftovers and stuff. I know that only eating hot dogs all day every day isn't good for you, but if you tell me that something is so evil that I should NEVER EVER EVER eat it, it'll just make me want one more.
  • iDYG
    iDYG Posts: 15 Member
    Options

How, when most of the gluten-free foods I've seen are higher in calories per serving size than their evil gluten-y counterparts? And when did everyone all of a sudden develop celiac disease?!?!?!?!?

This is what I want to know also!!! Someone please answer.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Biggest Food Myths:

1.Eggs Are Unhealthy
    2.Saturated Fat is Bad For You
    3.Everybody Should be Eating Grains
    4.Eating a Lot of Protein is Bad For Your Bones and Kidneys
    5.Low-Fat Foods Are Good For You
    6.You Should Eat Many Small Meals Throughout The Day
    7.Carbs Should Be Your Biggest Source of Calories
    8.High Omega-6 Seed and Vegetable Oils Are Good For You
    9.Low Carb Diets Are Dangerous
    10.Sugar is Unhealthy Because it Contains “Empty” Calories
    11.High Fat Foods Will Make You Fat

source: http://authoritynutrition.com/11-biggest-lies-of-mainstream-nutrition/

I totally agree with you on these ^ along with Splenda is calorie free food.:embarassed:
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options

This is what I want to know also!!! Someone please answer.

Check out www.Mariahealth.blogspot.com to find your answers there. When ppl. are buying the pre-packaged rice/potato starch ladeled foods could be one of the reasons why. The problem is ppl need to educate themselves about the grains & starches they may be sensitive to which in turn may help resolve some of weight gain issues.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure that historic native Americans ate a pretty healthy diet full of fruit, veggies, grass fed animals, and fish as well. You might do some research on how they handled measles...then check back in with us on what you found.

I've researched measles and other vpd's in the pink book, published by the CDC. I also read MMRW regularly. I'm confident about my decision but thanks for the suggestion :)

I'm not disparaging your decision hun. I'm just making a point. I'm 100% sure...based on the fact that you have (CLEARLY) taken an active interest in your childrens health and well being...that they are far better off than other children who aren't lucky enough to have such a dedicated parent.
  • knitbytes
    knitbytes Posts: 114
    Options
    Green smoothies are toxic and will kill you.

and of course, the obvious "____ is the ONLY WAY to lose weight/get fit!" no, I'm sorry, I can list at list four personal acquaintances who all lost large amounts of weight using completely different methods.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Green smoothies are toxic and will kill you.

and of course, the obvious "____ is the ONLY WAY to lose weight/get fit!" no, I'm sorry, I can list at list four personal acquaintances who all lost large amounts of weight using completely different methods.

Except that the only way to loose weight is to eat a calorie deficit. Of course, there are many ways to go about doing that. :)
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Not really a myth, but it kind of bothers me when people remind me of the evils of hot dogs. I am not a frequent hot dog-eater, but when I eat them, I know they're made of lips and butts and nitrates and leftovers and stuff. I know that only eating hot dogs all day every day isn't good for you, but if you tell me that something is so evil that I should NEVER EVER EVER eat it, it'll just make me want one more.

Exactly! And everyone knows if you drink beer with the hot dog all the nitrates are dissolved.
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    If you swallow gum, it will stay in your stomach for 7 years.

I heard that one too! And if you accidentally swallow a plum stone a plum tree will grow out of your ears.

I was a very gullible child.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options

and my memaw-specific ones:
    ladies should peck at their food out of politeness but never actually eat more than a bite or two.

ladies dont eat on dates, men and cows do.

it is unfeminine to eat meat-women should never eat like they have done hard labor, even if they have.

protein is for men.

canned fruit is more sophisticated than eating a pear or apple off thhe tree-and the fresh stuff is dangerous and may have bugs on it.

So that'll be why I'm not married, then!

The one that confuses me is 'it doesn't matter how hungry you are, if you eat after eight o'clock, the food will lie on your chest and you will die'

Okaaaaay. So it's better to spend the night wide awake because your stomach is threatening to climb out of your mouth and strangle you, it's so hungry. Because if you dare to eat anything, food will, instead of staying in your stomach and being digested like everybody else's, it will climb out, sit on your rib cage and have a little nap. Bearing in mind the only people who might have a risk of vomiting would be tiny babies, whom I know you have fed at all time of the day and night.