Your fave stupid food myth you've heard

Options

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    that im going to die from being a vegan and my son wont grow because we dont have protein in our diets ... umm yeah okay lol

It happens: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/8414195/French-vegans-charged-with-child-neglect-after-babys-death.html

And although protein completeness is a bit of a concern, your son should worry more about developmental disorders due to vitamin B-12, iron, and/or calcium deficiency.

You're trolling - right?
  • jb6968
    jb6968 Posts: 10
    Options
    "Aspartame is proven to be harmful"

I'm not saying that it's been proven harmful, but I'm really surprised at the amount of people who support aspartame on these boards. I guess I shouldn't be- it's easier to reach for the artificial sugar than make any real lifestyle changes (I'm not trying to say YOU do this personally, since I am quoting, but I am just making a generalization). Personally, I have no interest in eating anything that would contain aspartame, so it doesn't really effect me. I did used to consume the stuff though in the form of diet soda's, and after stopping that habit I haven't had a single migraine and haven't even bothered to fill my prescription. It's amazing how your life can change when you cut out all that processed, artificial junk. Everyone I've spoken to that stopped the sweetener said they felt better afterwards. It's no surprise to me at all that 75% of all complaints to ARMS are from aspartame.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Humans aren't designed to drink milk. Basically, any story that says humans aren't designed to eat whatever humans are currently eating.

WOW...this completely ignores the fact that human drink NOTHING but milk for the first part of their lives

Hmm, I think there's some truth to this one though! Apart from human breast milk, of course.

Humans are designed for the consumption of HUMAN breastmilk, which the WHO recommends for two years and beyond. There's a percentage of adults (though I currently can't remember how high the percentage) who have stopped producing the necessary enzymes to properly digest milk. This is where the argument comes in that adult humans aren't designed to consume milk. While not all adults have this problem, I still (personally) feel that cows milk is for baby cows and not for adult humans. It's mostly a matter of opinion, I'm sure there is no "right" answer on this topic.

The main reason humans are as we know them today is because they are one of the most adaptable omnivores. Even people who can't digest cow's milk often have no problem with milk from goats or camels, to name a few.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Biggest Food Myths:

1.Eggs Are Unhealthy
    2.Saturated Fat is Bad For You
    3.Everybody Should be Eating Grains
    4.Eating a Lot of Protein is Bad For Your Bones and Kidneys
    5.Low-Fat Foods Are Good For You
    6.You Should Eat Many Small Meals Throughout The Day
    7.Carbs Should Be Your Biggest Source of Calories
    8.High Omega-6 Seed and Vegetable Oils Are Good For You
    9.Low Carb Diets Are Dangerous
    10.Sugar is Unhealthy Because it Contains “Empty” Calories
    11.High Fat Foods Will Make You Fat

source: http://authoritynutrition.com/11-biggest-lies-of-mainstream-nutrition/

I read the article, and Im having a VERY hard time believing number 2, especially considering that it states that saturated fat raised HDL cholesterol....everything i have been taught in regards to nutrition over my university career says that meals high in saturated fat cause a reduction in HDL cholesterol (temporarily), which in turn causes an increase in LDL cholesterol (temporarily).

And 6, i think that is just a matter of choice. I like small meals because i feel less hungry throughout the day....and it prevents insulin spikes...
    All the studies I've looked at say increased saturated fat increases HDL. HDL is decreased when any unsaturated fat or carbohydrate replace saturated fat in the diet.....increased saturated fat consumption also has an effect on lipoprotien size of both HDL and LDL, it increases the amount of cholesterol within the matrix of LDL lipoproteins which in turn reduces the amount of triglycerides and the main reason why saturated fat increases LDL cholesterol, but larger particles are actually less atherogenic.
  • Logical_Integrity
    Options
    The more ingredients the worse it is for you :laugh:
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My son is Autistic because I ate gluten and drank dairy (casein) when pregnant.

(He really does have Autism Spectrum Disorder, and I consume gluten and dairy, but I'm pretty sure many kids are born without Autism when gluten and casein are consumed.)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

(He really does have Autism Spectrum Disorder, and I consume gluten and dairy, but I'm pretty sure many kids are born without Autism when gluten and casein are consumed.)
    A few billion would probably agree with you that some are born without Autism.
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    that im going to die from being a vegan and my son wont grow because we dont have protein in our diets ... umm yeah okay lol

It happens: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/8414195/French-vegans-charged-with-child-neglect-after-babys-death.html

And although protein completeness is a bit of a concern, your son should worry more about developmental disorders due to vitamin B-12, iron, and/or calcium deficiency.

You're trolling - right?

lol im used to people saying these things so im assuming he isnt trolling my son is above average in weight hes healthy and a a vegan consumes alot more healthy foods than people i know with 2 year olds who feed their kids chips and anything else that goes in the fryer/oven yet those kids parents never get told your childs going to die ... because they look healthy the effects of their diet will only become apparent in 20 years when they join mfp lol

i do recommend anyone who put their kids on a special diet has regular check ups at the doctors
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Biggest Food Myths:

1.Eggs Are Unhealthy

I read the article, and Im having a VERY hard time believing number 2, especially considering that it states that saturated fat raised HDL cholesterol....everything i have been taught in regards to nutrition over my university career says that meals high in saturated fat cause a reduction in HDL cholesterol (temporarily), which in turn causes an increase in LDL cholesterol (temporarily).

And 6, i think that is just a matter of choice. I like small meals because i feel less hungry throughout the day....and it prevents insulin spikes...
    All the studies I've looked at say increased saturated fat increases HDL. HDL is decreased when any unsaturated fat or carbohydrate replace saturated fat in the diet.....increased saturated fat consumption also has an effect on lipoprotien size of both HDL and LDL, it increases the amount of cholesterol within the matrix of LDL lipoproteins which in turn reduces the amount of triglycerides and the main reason why saturated fat increases LDL cholesterol, but larger particles are actually less atherogenic.

Same here, neanderthin. We must have read the same studies. ;D
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    That all foods are calorie free on your birthday, Christmas, Halloween, St. Patty's Day, Valentine's Day, Fourth of July, Arbor Day, etc....

Oh how I wish....
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend thought that energy drinks didn't contain calories.

*ENERGY* drinks, man what do you think? :laugh:

Powerade do a zero calorie sports drink!!

/scratches head

Only takes a half decent marketing department and a fully uneducated target market to get away with tht one. :)
  • babecon
    babecon Posts: 136 Member
    Options

God what a horrible thing to tell someone! Hope it wasn't anyone close to you :/
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    "glucose is toxic" ummm yeah. *cough* my cells run on toxic.

Glucose IS toxic, but it's entirely context dependent. A normal person doesn't usually have this problem, but type 1 diabetics have to deal with it everyday. Hyperglycemia is extremely dangerous due to them because it's acidic.

Glucose ITSELF is not toxic. It is a necessary requirement for human metabolic processes. Your brain runs off glucose as it's primary source of fuel. As a nurse, I've seen a lot of people with HYPOglycemia and it's plenty scary. Where diabetics have trouble is that the mechanism by which their bodies store glucose is faulty, leading to excesses in the blood that the body has no other way to handle.

The problem with diabetics is not having adequate insulin production in the first place. It's the excessive glucose that makes for metabolic acidosis, which comes from no or inadequate insulin production. Which is why I said normal people don't have this problem, we produce insulin. You've probably never seen a "non diabetic" with a blood glucose of 500+ have you (I know I haven't)?

Likewise glucose isn't an "essential" dietary requirement, your body can make all of the required glucose through gluconeogenesis. For all intents and purposes anyone on a ketogenic diet is hypoglycemic by clinical standards (having a BGM of around 60ish). The primary problem for diabetic hypoglycemia is that they're not efficient at utilizing ketones as an alternative to glucose. The symptoms of "atkins/keto flu" are identical to those of hypoglycemia.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Someone told me if you toast your bread the calories in it disappear.
    Next?

Granted some crumbs may come off so maybe 1/2 :laugh:

'Eating fruit won't get you fat' - *thanks mum* :mad:
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates don't matter :grumble:

Why is it that fat and protein are important to some people, but whatever to carbs? They're all important people!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Someone told me if you toast your bread the calories in it disappear.
    Next?

You have a window of 30 minutes to get protein after a workout, or all your "sweet gainz bro" disappear.
  • Lauramh31
    Lauramh31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Guy on our first date "Dairy is what makes everyone fat. If everyone stopped eating dairy, no one would be fat" :huh:

Me: "um, that's not true. Someone could be fat from eating a whole bag of chips or a whole box of vegan cookies or cupcakes"

Him: "no one actually eats the whole thing." :huh: :noway:

Oh and then when I was telling him I was training for the half marathon and doing it for the american cancer society, he told me that is a ridiculous charity and he only supports ones that acutally help like animal charities, not ones that pretend to do research... :noway: Yep, he is insane and we did not go out again :wink:
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Biggest Food Myths:

1.Eggs Are Unhealthy

Yes! :drinker:
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

my friends kids are autistic, she cut casein and gluten out their diet as well as glucose and they're improving so much! its unreal!

but yeah anyway my food myth that everyone always says is "dont eat after six" and "things made from flour will make you fat"