Replies

• peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    There are no calories in soup :smile:
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Humans aren't designed to drink milk. Basically, any story that says humans aren't designed to eat whatever humans are currently eating.

WOW...this completely ignores the fact that human drink NOTHING but milk for the first part of their lives

Hmm, I think there's some truth to this one though! Apart from human breast milk, of course.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    nothing tastes as good as skinny

This! :explode:

Also, from one of my residents yesterday: "I try not to eat bananas, they're too fattening." :noway:
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Biggest Food Myths:

1.Eggs Are Unhealthy
    2.Saturated Fat is Bad For You
    3.Everybody Should be Eating Grains
    4.Eating a Lot of Protein is Bad For Your Bones and Kidneys
    5.Low-Fat Foods Are Good For You
    6.You Should Eat Many Small Meals Throughout The Day
    7.Carbs Should Be Your Biggest Source of Calories
    8.High Omega-6 Seed and Vegetable Oils Are Good For You
    9.Low Carb Diets Are Dangerous
    10.Sugar is Unhealthy Because it Contains “Empty” Calories
    11.High Fat Foods Will Make You Fat

source: http://authoritynutrition.com/11-biggest-lies-of-mainstream-nutrition/
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    My favorite myths/misconceptions:

1. Don't eat within four hours of bedtime or it all becomes fat overnight.

2. Everyone needs to drink 8 full glasses of plain water, in addition to the water they "lose" by exercising or from being in a warm climate. Anything added to the water, be it tea or Mio or vegetable juice, doesn't count and completely negates the benefits. This is DOUBLY true if the thing added to your water has the horrible toxin CAFFEINE in it.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    you have to eat "clean" to lose weight

but don't eat carrots because they have too much sugar.
  • JeeperChick
    JeeperChick Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    drinking cold water burns fat.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    bananas will make you fat.

negative calorie food.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    The 80/10/10 diet is healthy :noway:
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Wine only turns to alcohol if you let it sit out. Vodka goes bad once opened.

(I'll give a [low carb] cookie to anyone who gets the reference.) :)

Arrested Development?
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,141 Member
    Options
    "Regardless of how it is cooked, fish is the healthiest protein." (spoken over a plate of deep-fried fish & chips) :noway:
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Says "I'm doing a cleanse to release toxins from my body."

Can't name a single toxin they're getting rid of.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Sprite is good for you because it's clear....

She was dead serious.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I used to hate when I worked at dunkin donuts and people ordered a low CARB bagel with low FAT cream cheese. Idiots. They think it's better for them. The low carb bagels were loaded with fat, and the low fat cream cheese was loaded with carbs.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I used to hate when I worked at dunkin donuts and people ordered a low CARB bagel with low FAT cream cheese. Idiots. They think it's better for them. The low carb bagels were loaded with fat, and the low fat cream cheese was loaded with carbs.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    "glucose is toxic" ummm yeah. *cough* my cells run on toxic.

Glucose IS toxic, but it's entirely context dependent. A normal person doesn't usually have this problem, but type 1 diabetics have to deal with it everyday. Hyperglycemia is extremely dangerous due to them because it's acidic.

Glucose ITSELF is not toxic. It is a necessary requirement for human metabolic processes. Your brain runs off glucose as it's primary source of fuel. As a nurse, I've seen a lot of people with HYPOglycemia and it's plenty scary. Where diabetics have trouble is that the mechanism by which their bodies store glucose is faulty, leading to excesses in the blood that the body has no other way to handle.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Humans aren't designed to drink milk. Basically, any story that says humans aren't designed to eat whatever humans are currently eating.

WOW...this completely ignores the fact that human drink NOTHING but milk for the first part of their lives

Hmm, I think there's some truth to this one though! Apart from human breast milk, of course.

Humans are designed for the consumption of HUMAN breastmilk, which the WHO recommends for two years and beyond. There's a percentage of adults (though I currently can't remember how high the percentage) who have stopped producing the necessary enzymes to properly digest milk. This is where the argument comes in that adult humans aren't designed to consume milk. While not all adults have this problem, I still (personally) feel that cows milk is for baby cows and not for adult humans. It's mostly a matter of opinion, I'm sure there is no "right" answer on this topic.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    My son came home from his college Environmental Biology class and told me that his instructor (who has a doctorate in Biology) recently called the Dr. Oz show (the quack that he is) to rant about a recent show. Apparently, it was stated on his show that margarine is bad for you because it is only one molecule away from plastic. I'm sure people here can find a dozen reasons why not to eat margarine, or even a dozen reasons to eat it, but Oz's statement was utterly ridiculous. Do they realize that the good air we breathe CO2 is only one molecule away from carbon monoxide?? To think that people actually watch Oz and believe the things he says.
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    A girl I met on Friday said 'yeah but Vodka and Gin have no calories so you can drink as much as you like!'

To be fair, I did still drink as much as I liked.

This is the best thing I have seen all week! Thanks for making me smile!
  • jeardawg
    jeardawg Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Biggest Food Myths:

1.Eggs Are Unhealthy
    2.Saturated Fat is Bad For You
    3.Everybody Should be Eating Grains
    4.Eating a Lot of Protein is Bad For Your Bones and Kidneys
    5.Low-Fat Foods Are Good For You
    6.You Should Eat Many Small Meals Throughout The Day
    7.Carbs Should Be Your Biggest Source of Calories
    8.High Omega-6 Seed and Vegetable Oils Are Good For You
    9.Low Carb Diets Are Dangerous
    10.Sugar is Unhealthy Because it Contains “Empty” Calories
    11.High Fat Foods Will Make You Fat

source: http://authoritynutrition.com/11-biggest-lies-of-mainstream-nutrition/

Wow if I had posted here this is what I would have put; maybe not in that order, but almost every point has meaning for me.......except maybe number 6, but I have grown to love small meals (so its more of preference than strategy)