Replies

• Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    cooking spray has no calories
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Avocados are bad because they are full of fat.

this - I EAT A FULL AVOCADO A DAY & I STILL LOSE WEIGHT & the twig tthat told me that , didnt want to hear it !
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    A girl I met on Friday said 'yeah but Vodka and Gin have no calories so you can drink as much as you like!'

To be fair, I did still drink as much as I liked.
  • sabyx_is1
    sabyx_is1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Drink milk for calcium!
  • calisunrise
    calisunrise Posts: 307
    Options
    you can eat as much fruit/vegetables as you want and never get fat
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Curses! Foiled by thermodynamics and biochemistry again!

Dammit! I came over here for a break from studying thermodynamics (for real). Let's not bring actual science into this. Party pooper.
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    I like the one that says you can blow calories off food by puffing on it before you eat.

Although to be fair, I've never actually believed it. It's just convenient sometimes to pretend to.
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    - Low fat/Fat free is so much healthier.
    - (insert food) will make you lose weight faster.
    - You can only get fiber from eating grains (As someone who is grain-free this really irks my nerves!)
    - The lower the calories in a food, the healthier they are. -_____-

Pretty much every diet tip I hear is stupid. The only one that makes any sense is to eat at a deficit and don't deny yourself of treats in moderation. The rest are almost guaranteed to be stupid and/or blatant lies.
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    my friend thinks hazelnuts will make her grow more hair because it apparently contains testosterone.
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    A girl I met on Friday said 'yeah but Vodka and Gin have no calories so you can drink as much as you like!'

To be fair, I did still drink as much as I liked.

ahahaha i love you
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    "don't eat grains because "caveman" didn't eat them".... yeah so early neolithic man suddenly started cultivating food that no-one had ever eaten before.....? or maybe neolithic man *invented* grains...? :huh: (palaeolithic people would have eaten wild grains in their range in season; there are issues with eating grains in such huge quantities as modern people do and modern cultivars being more allergenic than wild varieties, but "cavepeople" would have eaten wild grains when they could get them!)

"glucose is toxic" ummm yeah. *cough* my cells run on toxic.

"(add anything here) melts fat" - call me cynical, but I really don't want anything that actually melts fat anywhere near my body at all.

"(add anything here) flushes the fat out of your body" - what like you flush a toilet and the poo gets washed away... I don't think anyone's ever attempted to visualise just how this would pan out with human fat

"(add anything here) makes you poo out fat" and it's cousin: "cleanse your colon to get rid of fat" - fat is not stored in the colon.

"(add anything here) makes you sweat out fat" - If I started sweating fat, I'd be terrified, dial 999 and ask for an ambulance

"fruit is bad for you" - we're primates FFS. Are you going to call all the zoos and warn them that fruit is dangerous for all the other primates?

"cooking makes food toxic" - quick! we'd better jump into a time machine and warn all the Homo erectuses, Homo heidelbergensises, Homo neanderthalensises and middle palaeolithic Homo sapiens, because they all cooked food too!! If cooking made food toxic, Homo erectus would have died and the other humans listed wouldn't have even evolved. And also note that the use of fire by humans lead to human brains evolving to be bigger, because cooked food is easier to digest, so that would have meant more energy being available to grow larger brains. Early Homo erectus lived off a 100% raw food diet.... and had only about two thirds of the cranial capacity of a Homo sapiens or Homo neanderthalensis.

"gorillas get enough protein from eating only vegetable foods" - a) gorillas have the smallest brain size compared to body size of all the great apes and b) gorillas eat insects, which is animal protein. There are no vegetarian great apes, they're all omnivores. If our ancestors hadn't eaten animal products, we wouldn't be here having this conversation, we'd be living in trees eating fruit and leaves all day long in order to get enough energy to feed our very tiny brains. I have nothing against the vegan diet.... just don't try to claim that's what we evolved for!!!

"you should put grass in smoothies because that's how cows get calcium" - :noway: i'm not even going to comment on that

"(add thing here) cleanses your liver" - what, it puts it in a bowl of water, rinses it out and hangs it up to dry? And if the liver can't cleanse itself, then how did all the Homo erectuses survive? And all the other animals with livers for that matter....

"(add thing here) jump starts the metabolism" - what, my metabolic battery is flat and my body isn't currently functioning at all (i.e. dead), so this thing takes jump leads to it, charges up my battery and gets my engine running again (basically bringing me back to life). Hmm that's novel. Do hospitals have this in accident and emergency departments now?

Those are a few that I can recall off the top of my head... if I remember any more I'll add them...

This.

And that aspartame kills you.
  • heywithers
    heywithers Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Going through all these different threads seriously makes me feel like my brain is going to pop! it is all conflicting and confusing, i feel like giving up lol i think i have been reading too much about trying to lose weight lately that i need to take a break. if i could afford it i would just get a personal trainer and not have to wonder about who on the internet is correct!
  • jb6968
    jb6968 Posts: 10
    Options
    B12 coming from purely plant sources

I take it you've never heard of Moringa Oleifera.
  • Einahhh
    Einahhh Posts: 139
    Options
    "Water is bad for weight loss because it makes you bloat."

Water? Bad for weight loss? Wow.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    99% of posts in the food and nutrition subforum. Where to start?

"fat makes you fat" is the one that really chaps my *kitten* though......

Also people who tell you the "carbs are bad for you" and proceed to tell you how they love to eat fresh fruit and vegetables!
  • mjb1986
    mjb1986 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Someone told me that using coconut oil as a moisturizer would make me fat (because it gets in your body through your skin).
    I'm hoping that it's true so I can say, "See, it wasn't the bad diet, it was all that coconut oil!" :-P
  • IFlover90
    IFlover90 Posts: 62
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
  • soundasleepx
    Options
    If someone else has given you the food, the calories don't count
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    Oh! I just got another one on this board! That the 80-10-10 method of eating is healthy or desireable. Wow.

I read that thread, too! :noway:

My favorite part was the argument between the vegan and the paleo eater. :drinker:

YAY, I got an honorable mention. BTW, i'm primal, not paleo.
    Life without dairy? No thanks. :noway:
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    "Aspartame is proven to be harmful"