Your fave stupid food myth you've heard

Options

Replies

• thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Sugar has too much fruit.
    OMG WHAT. FRUIT IS SO GOOD FOR YOU. No one got fat eating fruit.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    B12 coming from purely plant sources
  • thefiddlerscall
    Options
    Broken biscuits don't have any calories :noway:
    :laugh:

My old roommate taught me the broken cookies contain no calories rule. I chose to believe it. ;)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    "don't eat grains because "caveman" didn't eat them".... yeah so early neolithic man suddenly started cultivating food that no-one had ever eaten before.....? or maybe neolithic man *invented* grains...? :huh: (palaeolithic people would have eaten wild grains in their range in season; there are issues with eating grains in such huge quantities as modern people do and modern cultivars being more allergenic than wild varieties, but "cavepeople" would have eaten wild grains when they could get them!)

"glucose is toxic" ummm yeah. *cough* my cells run on toxic.

"(add anything here) melts fat" - call me cynical, but I really don't want anything that actually melts fat anywhere near my body at all.

"(add anything here) flushes the fat out of your body" - what like you flush a toilet and the poo gets washed away... I don't think anyone's ever attempted to visualise just how this would pan out with human fat

"(add anything here) makes you poo out fat" and it's cousin: "cleanse your colon to get rid of fat" - fat is not stored in the colon.

"(add anything here) makes you sweat out fat" - If I started sweating fat, I'd be terrified, dial 999 and ask for an ambulance

"fruit is bad for you" - we're primates FFS. Are you going to call all the zoos and warn them that fruit is dangerous for all the other primates?

"cooking makes food toxic" - quick! we'd better jump into a time machine and warn all the Homo erectuses, Homo heidelbergensises, Homo neanderthalensises and middle palaeolithic Homo sapiens, because they all cooked food too!! If cooking made food toxic, Homo erectus would have died and the other humans listed wouldn't have even evolved. And also note that the use of fire by humans lead to human brains evolving to be bigger, because cooked food is easier to digest, so that would have meant more energy being available to grow larger brains. Early Homo erectus lived off a 100% raw food diet.... and had only about two thirds of the cranial capacity of a Homo sapiens or Homo neanderthalensis.

"gorillas get enough protein from eating only vegetable foods" - a) gorillas have the smallest brain size compared to body size of all the great apes and b) gorillas eat insects, which is animal protein. There are no vegetarian great apes, they're all omnivores. If our ancestors hadn't eaten animal products, we wouldn't be here having this conversation, we'd be living in trees eating fruit and leaves all day long in order to get enough energy to feed our very tiny brains. I have nothing against the vegan diet.... just don't try to claim that's what we evolved for!!!

"you should put grass in smoothies because that's how cows get calcium" - :noway: i'm not even going to comment on that

"(add thing here) cleanses your liver" - what, it puts it in a bowl of water, rinses it out and hangs it up to dry? And if the liver can't cleanse itself, then how did all the Homo erectuses survive? And all the other animals with livers for that matter....

"(add thing here) jump starts the metabolism" - what, my metabolic battery is flat and my body isn't currently functioning at all (i.e. dead), so this thing takes jump leads to it, charges up my battery and gets my engine running again (basically bringing me back to life). Hmm that's novel. Do hospitals have this in accident and emergency departments now?

Those are a few that I can recall off the top of my head... if I remember any more I'll add them...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

My favorite part was the argument between the vegan and the paleo eater. :drinker:

That must have been EPIC. And I mean that in the true sense, an argument for the ages.

well in my last post I criticised the myths of vegans and palaeo eaters equally... see I'm fair and balanced :flowerforyou:
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners are much better for you because they have zero calories.
    :noway:

Compared to sugar, they absolutely are better. Glucose+fructose in a hypercaloric state is linked to metabolic syndrome in the literature. I have yet to see a single peer-reviewed study that indicates deleterious effects of aspartame or sucralose at GRAS dosages.

I agree, and though not totally sold on fake sugar, I will always choose xylitol, stevia, or even splenda over real sugar. Just looking at how it's digested and what it does to your insulin (and therefore fat storage) is enough to make me avoid almost all sugars, except for the occasional small amounts of local honey. Plus, my mom was pre-diabetic eating a diet high in fruit (ie sugar) and complex carbohydrates, with almost no fat and very little (lean only) protein. No thanks. That and high chol genetics make me avoid sugar.
    There are no substantial, real studies showing that fake sugars in small amounts harm PEOPLE.
  • oldy76
    oldy76 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Eating carbs before bed will turn to fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^ THIS ONE. It drives me nuts!
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    That you burn more calories warming ice cream up to body temperature than are in it! God I wish it was true. Negative calorie Ice Cream.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is bad for you.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    1. Carbs are evil.
    2. You shouldn't eat before bedtime.
    3. All calories are not equal.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • diolpah
    diolpah Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    That you burn more calories warming ice cream up to body temperature than are in it! God I wish it was true. Negative calorie Ice Cream.

Curses! Foiled by thermodynamics and biochemistry again!
  • losing5555
    Options
    Wine only turns to alcohol if you let it sit out. Vodka goes bad once opened.

(I'll give a [low carb] cookie to anyone who gets the reference.) :)

i had to drink it, michael! :wink:
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Coffee, tea, fizzy drinks aren't water and can not be counted as water.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    "You need to eat Milk, Eggs and Meat to build muscle"
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    That all you need to do to be a vegetarian is cut out meat. Then you get people who are vegetarians , but eat chicken :grumble:
    I am not a vegetarian , but even I know there is more to it than that. The vegetarians and vegans I know, eat hell of a big variety of food. And meat is meat....
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Another one- mashed potato isn't healthy. It depends on how you cook it and make it.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    "glucose is toxic" ummm yeah. *cough* my cells run on toxic.

Glucose IS toxic, but it's entirely context dependent. A normal person doesn't usually have this problem, but type 1 diabetics have to deal with it everyday. Hyperglycemia is extremely dangerous due to them because it's acidic.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Whey protein will make you bulky.