• StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    Second the fat is bad for you

( takes fat to lose fat)
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Calories dont count if eaten from container or standing up :)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    You HAVE to eat every 2-3 hours to stoke the metabolic furnace and avoid starvation mode
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    The persistent banner advertisement proclaiming bananas are bad. Really!? Humans have been eating them for centuries without adverse problems.
  • RecoveringToHealthy
    RecoveringToHealthy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend thought that energy drinks didn't contain calories.

*ENERGY* drinks, man what do you think? :laugh:
  • FluffyMcNutter
    Options
    No one with "Eating foods with cholesterol will give you heart disease," yet. Really?

Chocolate gives you acne.

Anyone remember those chips from the 90's that were good for you? I think they were called WOW! Turns out they were good for anal leakage, but not much else.

My favorite: "Booze is bad for you." Sorry, but me drinking is good everyone.
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Diet coke has more sugar than regular coke. And that it'll kill me. These from the people who smoke. Really
  • tom_olech
    tom_olech Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Biggest Food Myths:

1.Eggs Are Unhealthy
    2.Saturated Fat is Bad For You
    3.Everybody Should be Eating Grains
    4.Eating a Lot of Protein is Bad For Your Bones and Kidneys
    5.Low-Fat Foods Are Good For You
    6.You Should Eat Many Small Meals Throughout The Day
    7.Carbs Should Be Your Biggest Source of Calories
    8.High Omega-6 Seed and Vegetable Oils Are Good For You
    9.Low Carb Diets Are Dangerous
    10.Sugar is Unhealthy Because it Contains “Empty” Calories
    11.High Fat Foods Will Make You Fat

source: http://authoritynutrition.com/11-biggest-lies-of-mainstream-nutrition/

I read the article, and Im having a VERY hard time believing number 2, especially considering that it states that saturated fat raised HDL cholesterol....everything i have been taught in regards to nutrition over my university career says that meals high in saturated fat cause a reduction in HDL cholesterol (temporarily), which in turn causes an increase in LDL cholesterol (temporarily).

And 6, i think that is just a matter of choice. I like small meals because i feel less hungry throughout the day....and it prevents insulin spikes...
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    That I shouldn't drink milk because some people are lactose intolerant even though I'm not.
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    that im going to die from being a vegan and my son wont grow because we dont have protein in our diets ... umm yeah okay lol
  • ValleyNikki
    Options
    Bananas make you fat . I hope its a myth anyways .
  • diolpah
    diolpah Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    that im going to die from being a vegan and my son wont grow because we dont have protein in our diets ... umm yeah okay lol

It happens: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/8414195/French-vegans-charged-with-child-neglect-after-babys-death.html

And although protein completeness is a bit of a concern, your son should worry more about developmental disorders due to vitamin B-12, iron, and/or calcium deficiency.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options

That because I'm a vegan I must be self-righteous and know nothing about protein/carbs/fats.......(fill in the blank)

How about, I eat what I eat and what makes my body feel and run it's best and you eat what you eat and feel and run at its best?!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    "glucose is toxic" ummm yeah. *cough* my cells run on toxic.

Glucose IS toxic, but it's entirely context dependent. A normal person doesn't usually have this problem, but type 1 diabetics have to deal with it everyday. Hyperglycemia is extremely dangerous due to them because it's acidic.

Glucose ITSELF is not toxic. It is a necessary requirement for human metabolic processes. Your brain runs off glucose as it's primary source of fuel. As a nurse, I've seen a lot of people with HYPOglycemia and it's plenty scary. Where diabetics have trouble is that the mechanism by which their bodies store glucose is faulty, leading to excesses in the blood that the body has no other way to handle.

^^^ This :flowerforyou:
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Bump to read when I have time :smile:
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

It happens: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/8414195/French-vegans-charged-with-child-neglect-after-babys-death.html

And although protein completeness is a bit of a concern, your son should worry more about developmental disorders due to vitamin B-12, iron, and/or calcium deficiency.

i think i would notice if my son got to that point plus he gets regular check ups and has soy products with added b-12 best part is after i went vegan my sinus problems went away oh yeah !
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    -Eating cholesterol (or saturated fat) will give you heart disease.

-Not eating cholesterol (or saturated fat) will give you heart disease.

-Healthy foods are low calorie.

-It's not possible or "too difficult" to get all your nutrients from plant foods.

-Grains and legumes are bad for you and you should never eat them.

-Your diet should be comprised mostly of grains.

-TEH TOXINS!!! (They're everywhere.)
  • jb6968
    jb6968 Posts: 10
    Options
    Biggest Food Myths:

1.Eggs Are Unhealthy
    2.Saturated Fat is Bad For You
    3.Everybody Should be Eating Grains
    4.Eating a Lot of Protein is Bad For Your Bones and Kidneys
    5.Low-Fat Foods Are Good For You
    6.You Should Eat Many Small Meals Throughout The Day
    7.Carbs Should Be Your Biggest Source of Calories
    8.High Omega-6 Seed and Vegetable Oils Are Good For You
    9.Low Carb Diets Are Dangerous
    10.Sugar is Unhealthy Because it Contains “Empty” Calories
    11.High Fat Foods Will Make You Fat

2. (I'm not sure we really have enough evidence to claim that saturated fats are GOOD for us).
    3. (No, because some people have intolerance, but I don't think we should say everyone SHOULDN'T be eating grains).
    9. (Any diet is dangerous if not done correctly).
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

i think i would notice if my son got to that point plus he gets regular check ups and has soy products with added b-12 best part is after i went vegan my sinus problems went away oh yeah !

I wondered how long it would take for this thread to go sour.