resting heart rate. should I be concerned?

Options
I've began to use a polar ht7 to track my calories when I exercise. Ive noticed my resting heart rate is very low and wondering if anyone else has had this. Is it something I should be concerned about? The lowest ive seen it go is the low 40's but its usually around 50.
I exercise about 5times a week (mostly running and weights) anything between 20mins and 2hours.
I'm 25 5ft5 and 114lbs.

Thanks

Replies

• woodsy0912
    woodsy0912 Posts: 323
    Options
    Happened to me too. A year ago my Resting HR was in the 90's and now it is in the 40's. That's what my Polar was telling me so I checked manually and then again when I went to the Dentist. Just getting healthier!

Do you do lots of cardio? That is why I am figuring mine went down. I also quit smoking a few months ago and that is known to decrease HR.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    my sons resting heart rate is between 18 and 30 bpm... but he has a heart condition. i dont think 40 is "normal" for the average person, however, it doesnt seem bad or dangerous. i think around 60 is "average"... but who wants to be average? lol like my sons dr said... "18-30 to any other kid would cause pale skin, dizziness, fainting, and being sickly... your son has good color, is active, plays sports, skateboards... he has adapted it as his own heart rate and his body has accepted it, no cause for concern at this point..."
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Don't be concerned unless you are feeling ill or faint at that heart rate. Resting heart rate is often a genetic thing, ie even at a high weight my father has a low RHR, even though he couldn't run a mile. The other factor is your cardiovascular fitness; ie the stronger your heart is the less it needs to beat (pump blood) per minute.

So, for people like us (my resting heart rate is around 48-50), genetics and cardiovascular fitness keep it low. If you're concerned you can mention it to your doctor at your next visit.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Generally, if you work out a lot or do a lot of cardio, your resting heart rate will be lower because you tend to be fitter.. Mine tends to be in the 50s-60s now, but when I was at the worst part of my ED and working out around 3 hours a day, it was in the 40-low 50s.
  • KatieBee8
    KatieBee8 Posts: 61
    Options
    No, that can be completely normal. The average heartbeat can range from 40 - 100 bpm. It's usually lower in people who are physically fitter too, so it's probably a good sign.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My RHR is 38 and I've never had a problem. My doctor said I just simply have a strong heart. It means that my heart efficiently pumps blood throughout my body with fewer pumps. As long as you aren't having chest pains and irregular heart rythyms I think you're ok. But I'm not a doctor, so if you are concerned about it, it won't hurt to get it checked.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    There are 2 causes of very low heartrate; heart disease and high levels of cardiovascular fitness. Since you exercise a lot yours is likely from the second cause. FWIW, mine is as low as 38 when I am well rested.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I freaked out the technician at my last check-up; after my HR went up to 44 she relaxed and wrote that down. You will be fine.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Mayo Clinic's guidelines for normal range are 60-100bpm.

It's worth mentioning to your doctor just to be safe. If you are having any symptoms like dizziness, I'd make an appointment to get checked out.
  • carolmcgov
    carolmcgov Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Happened to me too. A year ago my Resting HR was in the 90's and now it is in the 40's. That's what my Polar was telling me so I checked manually and then again when I went to the Dentist. Just getting healthier!

Do you do lots of cardio? That is why I am figuring mine went down. I also quit smoking a few months ago and that is known to decrease HR.

Yes I would do cardio 4 times a week. I've never smoked and I don't drink either. I have the monitor on right now siting on the bed and its about 48.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options

Yes I would do cardio 4 times a week. I've never smoked and I don't drink either. I have the monitor on right now siting on the bed and its about 48.

i wouldnt be overly concerned. your not dizzy? your not tired? your not pale? you feel good? you just have a lower heart rate than average...
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    It is not bad unless you are having other symptoms such as being light headed, dizzy, feel really tired. If not just a sign that you are pretty healthy and your heart doesnt have to beat fast to keep up with your body.
  • kholcomb51
    kholcomb51 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Mine is too. I'm 52, walk everywhere, do cardio and weights regularly. I went to several docs a couple years ago because my heart felt like it was pounding through my chest, keeping me awake. I did a holter monitor for two days (the thing they attach to you that measures your heart rate), a stress echocardiogram (measured on a treadmill with incline increasing), and several ekgs. The result: my heart, while frequently under 50 bpm, is healthy. (The pounding turned out to be hormonal.) Lower than average heart rate is called bradycardia, which my mother and brother have also. You probably want to check with your doctor that it's not something wrong, but it could be you just have an especially healthy heart!
  • carolmcgov
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I think I'll mention it next visit to the docs. Feel better now I know im not alone! Also, does a low resting heart rate affect calories burnt in the day ( not exercising)
  • KamalaMorgan
    KamalaMorgan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I work in cardiology and since you are active it's likely that you are fit, have a strong heart pump and therefore your heart does not have to work so hard. If you have symptoms of lightheadedness, dizziness, shortness of breath, or fatigue then you should see your doctor.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Here's a chart, but most likely you're fit. When mine did the same thing, I thought my HRM was broken (again) so I looked up what my resting heart rate should be and was happy to know that my low reading just meant I was fit. Awesome.

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/heart-rate-resting-chart.htm
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I think I'll mention it next visit to the docs. Feel better now I know im not alone! Also, does a low resting heart rate affect calories burnt in the day ( not exercising)

There is no direct link between your HR and calories burned. A HRM just uses it in the formula to estimate calories burned during an aerobic event...basically it's an estimate that says at such and such a HR, the individual is at X% of VO2 max...so XXX calories are burned. If you aren't performing an aerobic event, the calories burned on the HRM are not accurate because you are not performing an event that would be a good estimate of VO2 max. This is the same reason a HRM is inaccurate for weight lifting...weight lifting is an anaerobic event and not a good estimate of VO2 max.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    A low RHR is "generally" a good thing and paired with the fact that you are relatively young and workout, I would think you have little to be worried about. It wouldnt hurt to touch base with your doc on this.

At one time Lance Armstrong's RHR was 28 BPM!

I once read that if your HR doesnt drop at least 12 BPM within 60 seconds after cardio exercise, you may have a problem. It's smart to wear a HRM.
  • fxgs
    fxgs Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    .At one time Lance Armstrong's RHR was 28 BPM!

PED's..................................
  • carolmcgov
    Options

There is no direct link between your HR and calories burned. A HRM just uses it in the formula to estimate calories burned during an aerobic event...basically it's an estimate that says at such and such a HR, the individual is at X% of VO2 max...so XXX calories are burned. If you aren't performing an aerobic event, the calories burned on the HRM are not accurate because you are not performing an event that would be a good estimate of VO2 max. This is the same reason a HRM is inaccurate for weight lifting...weight lifting is an anaerobic event and not a good estimate of VO2 max.

Thanks!