OK.. What's Up

I am a little frustrated. I know that I am over wieght by alot.(80 or so lbs). However I have been exercising for 4 years now and still feel very out of shape. 2 yrs ago I did a triathalon it was fabulous. The problem is that I am constantly feeling tiered and I have very little energy. I am working outside on the fram. using the cain saw and ax build fences and so on. but I feel that I still am more tired than I should be. Is this a sing of being out off shape? Today I walked/ jogged a 10 km (6miles) in 1:24:01 my average HR was 139 and my max was 179 total calories 788. a friend did it aslo she is the same age as me though she is about 140 and s little smaler boned. Her max HR was 158 or so and burnt around 600 calories. Is my problem that I am out of shape? I feel that after 4 yrs I should be past this point. HELP

Replies

• I am a little frustrated. I know that I am over wieght by alot.(80 or so lbs). However I have been exercising for 4 years now and still feel very out of shape. 2 yrs ago I did a triathalon it was fabulous. The problem is that I am constantly feeling tiered and I have very little energy. I am working outside on the fram. using the cain saw and ax build fences and so on. but I feel that I still am more tired than I should be. Is this a sing of being out off shape? Today I walked/ jogged a 10 km (6miles) in 1:24:01 my average HR was 139 and my max was 179 total calories 788. a friend did it aslo she is the same age as me though she is about 140 and s little smaler boned. Her max HR was 158 or so and burnt around 600 calories. Is my problem that I am out of shape? I feel that after 4 yrs I should be past this point. HELP
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    I'm wondering if you're eating either not enough or maybe the wrong things? I'm almost 50 started 5 weeks ago and can feel a huge difference in my energy levels. I used to sit most of my day, now I do yardwork, exercies almost every day and feel bad if I have a day where I'm not doing anything. Even my husband made a comment a couple of days ago ( and if he notices it must be apparent:laugh: ).
    Have you changed from 3 large meals to 5 smaller ones? Eat lean protein and whole wheat carbsand veggies? At this point I can only guess on what might be the problem. Let us know a little bit more on your eating and we might be able to figure it out.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    You obviously are very active and have been for some time. You should have experienced the normal fatigue which comes kicking up your workout to a new level or just the ebb and flow of, today I felt stronger or another day it was just plain tough that comes from being active. If what you are talking about is different than these things then perhaps you should see a Dr. for a checkup. You may have a touch of anemia or something else which is causing you to feel tired.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Could you have allergies? I do, and I know that this time of year, it's very difficult for me to accomplish my normal routine.

Maybe the doctor is a good idea. This is something to ponder with it, though.
  • I eat manly vegies and fruit, with clean protien. The grain that I eat are whole wheat or multi grain. I gind my flour from the wheat that we grow. Very little refind sugar. I eat every 2 hours. Take supliments, and have seen the doc, who sent me for heart tests and everything came back fine. Other than that she brushes me off. I feel like I am at the end of my rope. I am trying to keep a positive attitude one of keep doing what you know to do and look forward and things will fall into place. 4 yrs. frustrated.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Ok, but how many calories a day are you eating? With that active lifestyle, you should be eating a lot.

Also, you can't really compare yourself to your friend--she's a little more in shape, weight-wise, by what you say. She will burn less calories for the same amount of exercise than you do because she is lighter.

Also, even if you've been active, because you are overweight, you are going to feel "more" tired because it is going to take your body more energy to do things. There could still be some medical reason for it, but it also might simply be that your active lifestyle is too taxing upon your body at this point in time.

Anyway, how many calories a day are you eating? Have you been tested for diabetes?
  • I eat 1660-1800 a day depending how much I work. No I haven't been tested for diabetes.Thank-you for your support
  • shorerider
    I eat 1660-1800 a day depending how much I work. No I haven't been tested for diabetes.Thank-you for your support

Ok, are you accounting for your exercise calories in there, too? Because like I said, you seem to have a very active life and maybe you're not eating enough?

I asked about diabetes not to scare you but because constant tiredness is one of the symptoms.
  • yes I count my exercise calories. My fitness pal has me eating 1660 with a mildly active and 1800 with a higher activity level. When I exercise I do add thouse calories on top.
    One of the things that I find frustrating is that my doc is less than conserned about anything.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    yes I count my exercise calories. My fitness pal has me eating 1660 with a mildly active and 1800 with a higher activity level. When I exercise I do add thouse calories on top.
    One of the things that I find frustrating is that my doc is less than conserned about anything.

Could you be dehydrated?

Find another doctor if you don't feel satisfied with the attention he is giving something that is bothering you so much! In today's healthcare system you need to manage your own healthcare!
  • I think that I might try a new doc and see what he says
  • shorerider
    Checking with another doc would be possibility. Too often, we have to take charge of our own health nowadays and demand action!
  • Wizzle
    Wizzle Posts: 97 Member
    Also, you might jusr be being really hard on yourself. Somtimes I tend to worry to much about something and then it actually starts happening to me. It's called psychosomatic symptoms. They are actually, physical signs that we feel, but have created ourselves from a worry. Try changing your thinking to a positive outlook on your exercise. Focus on how great you feel when you get done working out or that you are creating a really healthy lifestyle for yourself and your loved ones. I think if you try this everyday... you might being to feel alittle bit better about it.

Also, another thing to consider is genes. Not everyone is programed to be athletic superstars. Some of us have to work harder give the genes we got.Our bodies also have a maximum potential where we can "cap out" reaching the "perfect us" for our body.

You should be stoked that you have been active for 4 YEARS that is a great accomplishment!
  • I think that there might be some truth in what you are saying(Wizzle) i am quite hard on myself. I think that relaxing might be a good start. I just find it hard to keep going when I don't see the results as I would like to see.