Fish Question

Options
If I buy the frozen packet of deboned talapia fillets, will I ever actually come across a bone. How likely is it?

Background (if you need it); I have been vegetarian for about 15 years. During the last 6 years I have gone on and off with eating fish. When I did eat fish, it was only at a restaurant where someone else prepared it or tuna salad already prepared at a deli. Well, since starting my weightloss journey and needing lean protein sources I now eat a lot more fish.

I have come to the point where I can open a can of tuna at home (although some cans look worse than others) and I also buy gorton's grilled signature talapia which looks like a deck of cards that has been frozen, and frozen salmon burgers. I put it in the oven and don't have to do much to it. For me, most of why I don't eat meat is because it just grosses me out. Always has, even as a child I only ate ground beef and chicken breasts. If I have to trim anything off of fish fillets or come across a bone it may very well turn me off to fish altogether.

Also, feel free to recommend any other fish products for someone like me :)

Replies

• fatyoga
    fatyoga Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I use the frozen "boneless" tilapia all the time but recently I have occasionally found very small bones. Nothing really huge or gross but bones all the same.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fish, and maybe less than 5% (or lower) have had a single bone in it.

It also grosses me out, but I pick it out and continue eating.

I've never found more than 1 bone. Hope that helps.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Eat scallops

or

steaks... tuna, swordfish, salmon.

As for why some canned tuna is gross... stick with the "solid" not the "chunk". Also reputable brands.

Same goes for canned salmon. I've heard Kirkland (Costco brand) is extremely bone free.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I've never seen a bone in frozen fish I've gotten. and only once has my boyfriend found a bone in a fish sold as "boneless". I think you should be fine. You could always by it fresh at a deli and ask them to clean and de-bone it for you. The one at our market does this and it doesn't cost any more than the frozen versions. You can just buy in bulk and freeze it.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Face up to what you're eating. It's a fish! Don't be a baby.:flowerforyou:
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Eat scallops

or

steaks... tuna, swordfish, salmon.

As for why some canned tuna is gross... stick with the "solid" not the "chunk". Also reputable brands.

Same goes for canned salmon. I've heard Kirkland (Costco brand) is extremely bone free.

I've never actually successfully bitten through a scallop or a shrimp. I just can't do it. I have only tried fish steaks a couple of times, many years ago but I strongly disliked the texture. I only like flaky fish. I have switched to the chunk tuna because I have read that it contains significantly less mercury than solid. I am not having any more children, but I eat a lot of tuna so don't want that much mercury. But it's good to know. Thanks!
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If I buy the frozen packet of deboned talapia fillets, will I ever actually come across a bone. How likely is it?

Very unlikely if you're buying it frozen from a large brand label, only slightly more likely if you buy it fresh from a meat counter. I made flounder fillets from Aldi last night and I found a tiny, tiny speck of bone almost like a grain of sand. I almost didn't even notice it. But I am also paranoid about bones, so I chew fish very carefully.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I never have. I think I've gotten a bone in a can of tuna before. I'm not sure what about it would gross you out..it's a small bone. Pick it out. I've bit into a worm in a nectarine...didn't make me stop eating fruit.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    If you are able to splurge, go to the seafood counter at a good grocery store like whole foods and get the prepared seasoned steaks of tuna or salmon. In my law student budget ill be honest I can't afford to do it more than once a month, but they are so delish (waaaaaay better than frozen) and a helpful deli worker would be able to assure you that a piece has no bones.

That being said, I've never had a bone issue with salmon ever. Bones don't bother me though because I'm used to eating tunas and striped bass that my brother catches off cape cod!

Edit for typos
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Fish with no bones that I particular like:

seabass, cod, haddock, tuna, salmon, talbot (mind you don't know if you can get these in the States!)

tinned fish:

tuna, marckel, crab

You could try:

prawns, scallops, mussels,

All tasty and really easy to prepare/cook.
  • staceypunk
    Options
    Face up to what you're eating. It's a fish! Don't be a baby.:flowerforyou:

I know, my life would be so much easier if I could just suck it up. Unfortunately I am wired this way. I used to sneak and shove pork chops down my pants and then ask to be excused from the dinner table and flush it down the toilet as a child. Or I would hide chicken on the bone in my sleeve and go to the front door to let the cat out and whip it into the bushes. Pretty lame. I just hate it.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    The more processed, the less likely you are to find a bone. Fresh filets will sometimes require pulling a couple bones out.
  • staceypunk
    Options
    I never have. I think I've gotten a bone in a can of tuna before. I'm not sure what about it would gross you out..it's a small bone. Pick it out. I've bit into a worm in a nectarine...didn't make me stop eating fruit.

Well actually.... I found a bone in my can of tuna last week. A pretty big bone considering, not like a pin needle kind. If you look at my diary, I haven't eaten tuna since! I'm gonna get past it because I have to. And that was so bizarre, I mean who finds a bone in a tuna can? Everyone I asked at work never did. But I have to eat canned tuna, so go back to it next week I suppose.
  • clchris811
    Options
    Get some nice cod fillets. I bake them in the oven with a little olive oil and ground pepper and lemon or lime juice - 350 degrees till it flakes - Or you can also bake with a few spoons of salsa on top - its really good!! And no bones really to worry about!!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    You should probably work on not being grossed out by food.
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    albacore white tuna is by far the best I've ever eaten.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Tilapia are smallish fish, so the bones are small and a few more will get past the filet process. If you really can't stand bones, get steaks cut from larger fish. If you get any salmon, look for wild caught. There have been a lot of problems with farm raised salmon (Google is your friend). One of my favorite lunches is a pouch of BumbleBee pink salmon mixed with hot sauce in bell pepper "boats" (quarter a bell pepper and fill the pieces like they are big nacho chips). It's a shame you can't get past the texture thing. I love shrimp!
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    You can also buy frozen salmon fillets. They flake and I've never found a bone. You can roast fish inside a rice wrapper with vegetables. It makes a nice little package and you wouldn't have to look at it. Good that you are trying to get past your distaste. Maybe in time....
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Get some nice cod fillets. I bake them in the oven with a little olive oil and ground pepper and lemon or lime juice - 350 degrees till it flakes - Or you can also bake with a few spoons of salsa on top - its really good!! And no bones really to worry about!!

I wouldnt recommend fresh cod to someone trying to get over being squeamish about fish.
  • staceypunk
    Options
    Thank you all. This is helpful, as I am getting a feel for which types of fish would be better to start with. Your opinions mean a lot to me!