Any vegans out there?

Options
As much as I love animals, my reasons for veganism are geared towards health. (Although I suppose you could call me seagen, since every now and then I do indulge in fish.)

I'm curious if any MFP members are vegan?

I'm always on the search for more vegan recipes :) Last night I made black bean burgers and baked sweet potato fries. I wish I made enough for breakfast today, oh man it was good.

Replies

• thestrawberrysays
    thestrawberrysays Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm not really vegan but I am doing a vegan 30 day challenge right now to help with weight loss and work through some food issues. My husband and several of our best friends are vegan. I have been dairy-free for years but I do intend to go back to eating my organic meat in 30 days.

I like the diet so far! Tons of energy today and feeling positive. Making a big pot of lentil soup right now.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I don't eat red meat and use Quorn instead and lower in fat. I looked at Vegan stuff but they tend to use lot of nuts which I'm allergic to and soy which is bad when have under active thyroid as it blocks absorption of meds.

What other alternative things are they? not sure what tofu is made of, or TVP?
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for health and morality reasons for over a year now. I have not eaten meat or dairy for about 20 years! I gave up fish and shellfish a year ago.
    I am much happier knowing that my diet does not hurt animals and I also feel much healthier :)
    I take about nine hours of ballet a week and also hike and have lots of energy!
    There are so so many recipes online..it's hard to know where to start!
    I DO take vitmain D which many people take anyhow and also B12 as this vitamin is not available unless added to vegan foods...you can also just eat nutritional yeast which is B12 as a "parmesan cheese"on foods and it's delicious!!!

I would look at this site for great recipes; http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/crockpot-quinoa-red-lentil-stew.php
    The lentil stew is AMAZING!!! Also get information on your nutrients on these sites; http://www.foodmatters.tv/
    http://nutritionfacts.org/

I am happy to answer any questions as I have read a lot about plant based diets being the best for health and also for the earth :)
    You won't look back! Well done on being vegan :)

The important thing is to eat very healthily; lots of fruit, greens and other veggies, beans, lentils, healthy grains like millet, quinoa and brown rice and nuts and seeds. You can be "naughty" occasionally as there are amazing desserts and dairy free chocolates out there! If you like to bake...this is so so easy and amazing!!! http://simplygluten-free.com/blog/2013/02/gluten-free-no-bake-pistachio-chocolate-truffle-cake-recipe.html

Good luck!!!!
  • 2soarfree
    2soarfree Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow vegans! Its nice to know that there are a few of us on here. I have a question for you guys. Would it be bad if I have honey? I know that most veans will most likely say yes but I just want to know what you guys think. Its supposed to have a lot of health benefits. I am just so conflicted with this one food :/
  • annasor70
    Options
    Hi there,
    I eat a small amount of honey for allergies and it really helps...I don't personally have a huge problem with so called "bee slavery" myself as the honey is a by product and they produce a lot of it....It doesn't mean that bees are treated terribly as dairy cows are for example...
    Some people say that honey is not great health wise but I find it helps with my hayfever symptoms...builds up my immunity.
    If you prefer not to have honey, maple syrup is great and healthy .... :)
  • Omgsitsmanda
    Options
    I'm not really vegan but I am doing a vegan 30 day challenge right now to help with weight loss and work through some food issues. My husband and several of our best friends are vegan. I have been dairy-free for years but I do intend to go back to eating my organic meat in 30 days.

I like the diet so far! Tons of energy today and feeling positive. Making a big pot of lentil soup right now.

Awesome! It'll DEFINITELY help with weight loss I'll bet. I love dairy... but being lactose intolerant, it's just overall better for me not to eat it. (Not to mention, our bodies DRAW calcium from our bones just to break down the lactic acid!! Say what?! That's kind of counter-productive eh?)
    I don't eat red meat and use Quorn instead and lower in fat. I looked at Vegan stuff but they tend to use lot of nuts which I'm allergic to and soy which is bad when have under active thyroid as it blocks absorption of meds.

What other alternative things are they? not sure what tofu is made of, or TVP?

Hey, no red meat is a start! Did you know our bodies are only able to digest a SQUARE INCH of red meat in a week?! Your digestive system loves you :D

Ahh, nut allergy, that really sucks :( I don't know how I'd live without almond milk and peanut butter. And I do. not. eat. soy. It's easier. Beans, though, beans are your best alternative to meat! I'd do my research if you're interested, especially given your special circumstances!
    I have been vegan for health and morality reasons for over a year now. I have not eaten meat or dairy for about 20 years! I gave up fish and shellfish a year ago.
    I am much happier knowing that my diet does not hurt animals and I also feel much healthier :)
    I take about nine hours of ballet a week and also hike and have lots of energy!
    There are so so many recipes online..it's hard to know where to start!
    I DO take vitmain D which many people take anyhow and also B12 as this vitamin is not available unless added to vegan foods...you can also just eat nutritional yeast which is B12 as a "parmesan cheese"on foods and it's delicious!!!

I would look at this site for great recipes; http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/crockpot-quinoa-red-lentil-stew.php
    The lentil stew is AMAZING!!! Also get information on your nutrients on these sites; http://www.foodmatters.tv/
    http://nutritionfacts.org/

I am happy to answer any questions as I have read a lot about plant based diets being the best for health and also for the earth :)
    You won't look back! Well done on being vegan :)

The important thing is to eat very healthily; lots of fruit, greens and other veggies, beans, lentils, healthy grains like millet, quinoa and brown rice and nuts and seeds. You can be "naughty" occasionally as there are amazing desserts and dairy free chocolates out there! If you like to bake...this is so so easy and amazing!!! http://simplygluten-free.com/blog/2013/02/gluten-free-no-bake-pistachio-chocolate-truffle-cake-recipe.html

Good luck!!!!

Oh wow! Nutritional yeast, I read about that somewhere, but haven't tried it. Out of all the things, it's cheese I miss the most.. and I'm very weary of those processed vegan soy "cheeses." I'm trying to avoid a lot of the processed stuff period. (I really would like to go RAW but well, it's out of my budget)

There's this cashew cream cheese recipe I really want to make though.

I will definitely add you!! Here's to happy animals, low cholesterol, a better environment and better self! <3
  • 2soarfree
    2soarfree Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Honey helps me with my allergies so that is why I have been so reluctant to give it up. instead of taking cough syrup i just have a tbs of honey and am good. Its just frustrating when you have those people out there that put you down for that. grr.
  • Omgsitsmanda
    Options
    I'm all for a bit of honey here and there, but it's iffy amongst different people heh.
  • gillesse
    gillesse Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan, but I am interested in vegan meals. I would like to eventually cut out most meats from my diet, and get rid of milk, but I don't think I can live without cheese, eggs and fish. But I know a lot of people who are vegan and I am really fascinated with their diet.
  • kellymacster
    Options
    I'm back to being vegan about 3 weeks ago. I have been meat-less for over 15 years and vegan for a smaller portion of that time. I began eating dairy and eggs during my pregnancies and gained almost 100 pounds :( So now I'm trying to reset my body. I feel so much better being a vegan!
  • annasor70
    Options
    Veganism is great for the body, mind and spirit...anyone who is interested, please see my last post on here for links to advice, recipes, etc..
    Dairy and meat don't really have much going for them as far as health goes...a lot of what people believe is brain washing...like you can't get calcium from a vegan diet....so not true! Leafy greens for example...
    Also there is so much protein in tofu, grains like quinoa and beans etc..
    Energy is improved on a vegan diet as well as the ethical benefits being incredible.

Being vegan is like having a great answer to a lot of problems :)
  • lafillehannah
    Options
    Hey! I'm actually pretty much a raw foodist (75% of my diet is raw) and I generally tend to stick to veganism although like you I do end up eating fish every now and again (albeit only recently).

I'd be interested in recipes, I am a bit of a health freak and I avoid gluten as well as dairy products too.
  • lafillehannah
    Options
    Also, on the honey front, I am a big fan of manuka honey, my stance on it is that it is a fantastic natural product. As I am more health orientated I see honey as something that has been used for years for skin care and health, and manuka honey works wonders!
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I am not vegan, however I do have some knowledge on the subject as I also do with shechita slaughter and halal slaughter - commenting on something without knowing anything about it means more than likely relying on prejudice and what the "news" says.

As far as honey is concerned, that all depends on your vegan denomination, a bit like Judaism, Christianity, and vegetarianism.

Some vegans are OK with products that have been made by insects, others are not. To compare the insect world to the bovine world: honey is like milk, cooked crickets are like steaks, and silk is like veal (I was going to say leather, but male calves on dairy farms is a more apt comparison to what mulberry silkworms go through, with calfskin being the equivalent to beondegi in terms of what is considered the by-product). You can get honey from natural beehives like you can get milk from pastured cows, although honey from natural beehives that haven't been abandoned by the bees might be more harmful than human-managed hives.

Insects are also harmed in production of food crops, so it depends on whether you view insects as animals (some don't) and/or whether you believe honey production takes advantage of honey bees and is bad because of it, and/or if accidental insect deaths are on par with deliberate insect deaths (if so, that probably means only organic fruit and vegetables - or home grown - where insecticides haven't been used that season since organic doesn't mean insecticide-free).

My understanding of the honey industry, is that colony size is determined by food availability, and if honey is taken and it is a bad winter the bees may be provided with sugar water (or something similar) to supplement their diet (for carbs, they get their protein from the pollen they stored). Unborn queens may be killed to reduce swarming. Queens may be raised in something akin to the industrialised caged chicken industry (search term: factory farming queen bees), shipped across the world and introduced to a hive that has lost a queen. Queens may be killed and replaced every year even though their lifespan is about 5 years.

Also, human-managed hives usually have a thing installed so that the queen can't get into the honey-only area and lay eggs so honey collection shouldn't include larvae. Some human-managed hives also include pollen traps which may reduce the amount of protein available during food shortages and winter and might physically harm the bees, but I believe that mainly comes down to design and proper management/maintenance (e.g. I just read the Sundance Pollen Trap only strips pollen on the way in and only about 50% of it). I suppose another take on it would be whether honey bees are having a detrimental effect on the other native bee species or if they have a negligible effect because their differences mean they like nectar from different flowering plants/trees.

Honey, nectar, pollen, propolis, beeswax... depends on your view on if taking something that has required insect energy to create is bad. Apitherapy (with bee venom) and royal jelly... depends on your view on if taking an insect life deliberately is bad. Treating queen bees like cattle... that would probably come down to checking with the maker to find out how they obtained their queens.

When I was looking at keeping bees I was thinking of allowing nature to take its cause (assuming the local authorities would have been OK with it) which would have meant the queen bees fighting to the death to determine who runs the hive or me chasing a swarm of bees that have decided to leave the hive with a new queen so I'd have two hives (and merging two hives when a queen died) - local beekeepers might be more forthcoming with their methods than supermarket suppliers as well as local honey containing local pollen.

As far as the British Vegan Society and the American Vegan Society are concerned (someone correct me if things have changed), honey is an animal product and is "prohibited for vegan use".

---

As for recipes... I'm a meat-eater that for a while was a pescetarian (albeit one that avoids fish on the IUCN red list as near threatened and above) so doubt most of what I eat is suitable for vegans - my peanut butter on toast recipe looks promising but you've probably heard of that.

With regard to nut allergies, is it all nuts, tree nuts and/or tree seeds (e.g. pecans, cashews, walnuts, almonds are seeds; can't think of any tree nuts) and/or some legumes (e.g. peanuts are the seeds of beans that grow below ground)? If so, bear in mind that soybeans are legumes (the seeds of beans that grow above ground) and that soy allergy is also common, so it'd probably be worth finding out before incorporating soy (assuming the meds aren't lifelong and that soy avoidance advice came before you had a chance to try soy). Tofu is made from soybeans.

Allergy to all legumes including peas and beans is not unheard of either, so I'd probably suggest making a list of all seeds/nuts/beans you aren't allergic to (or advised not to eat) and then working your protein intake around them. From what I understand, it is usually an entire family (genus? subfamily?) or several cultivars in the same genus. I'd look to see a "family tree" of allergies and see if they are closely related or not before carefully trying new things that aren't closely related. Since Quorn is made from a mycoprotein, mushrooms are also an option although they aren't as protein rich as nuts.
  • Omgsitsmanda
    Options
    I'm thrilled by the responses :)

I know when I very first posted this, it sat without responses for a little bit and I figured that I was just lonely lol.

You know, a few months ago I slipped up out of the vegan and... well... anyone who either just started or has slipped up and came back to it, did you notice your... hyperactive digestive systems? Not trying to be gross but.. it's AMAZING how much crap stays in our bodies when we eat meat :X (Hehe, no pun intended.)
  • MairitaSarai
    Options
    a new Vegan. any tips, recipes, advice? (:
  • calaz84
    calaz84 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Iv been a vegan well no meat or dairy since December wouldn't go back I feel like a new person!! Some of my favorite blogs, happy herbivore, vegan yack attack, oh she glows, fat free vegan, chef amber shea and detoxinista.

I do it mostly for health reasons the animals in the us are pumped full of antibiotics and hormones and are fed any and everything including eating their own YIKES. As well as its better for the environment not to eat meat.

I agree with the manuka honey I love it!!
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    watfordjc - Nice response! (I didn't want to requite the entire thing but you have some good information in there).

I think someone already posted this but check out www.ohsheglows.com. There are some pretty tasty recipes on that site.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Bump

but also..I love Fish, I couldn't imagine not eating it..
    I am geared more toward the way I feel when I use the Vegan way of Life with my food choices.
    I have more energy and Im in a happier state of mind.
    Not much of a red meat girl.
    But the animals don't play a part in my reasons, They are on the Earth for us to consume.
  • kel_elfheart
    Options
    Hi! My partner and I went vegan cold-turkey two months ago and we have been doing lots (and lots!) of research for recipes and substitutions.

I have been making my own recipes and hopefully everyone will enjoy this one:

Kung Pao Stir Fry

2/3 cup vegetable broth
    1 ½ tbsp. cornstarch
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tbsp hoisin sauce
    2 tbsp sherry
    2 tsp sambal oelek chili paste
    1 tbsp vegetable oil
    1 red pepper cut into large pieces
    1 yellow pepper cut into large pieces
    12 white or brown mushrooms
    2 carrots, diced
    2 stalks celery, diced
    ½ onion, diced
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1tsp grated gingerroot
    2 green onions, cut into 1inch pieces
    ½ cup peanuts, chopped

Stir cornstarch into broth. Add soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sherry, and sambal oelek.
    In large fry pan or wok heat vegetable oil until hot. Add peppers, mushrooms, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and gingerroot.
    Stir fry for 4 minutes until vegetables are just tender.
    Stir broth mixture and add to vegetable mixture. Stir for about 30 seconds until sauce is boiling and thick and vegetables are coated. Add green onions and stir until coated.
    Remove from heat. Sprinkle with peanuts.
    Serve over rice.

It is really easy to substitute items you don't like, leave out the peanuts if you have allergies, or cut down or remove the chili paste if you don't like it spicy, (you can also substitute the chili paste with crushed red pepper if you have that on hand!). It's super simple and, apart from the rice, will only take 10 minutes to cook.
    I make 6 easy servings of this and have it over white rice.

Enjoy!