I hate being the fattest person at the gym.

Options

Replies

• Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    You just keep on going and do it for yourself, when I restarted at the gym I wasn't the largest but I was up there. With hard work and logging of my food I have become healthier and lighter/smaller, a member of the gym who is also on my FL said the other day that when he first saw me at the gym he didn't think I would last the course, but he is impressed with my doing it and the results. He is not the only one that has told me that they are impressed with the work I have put in at the gym and the results.

Being prefectly honest I am very impressed with the results :happy:

Andy
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have a LOT of respect for anyone who is overweight and working out at a gym. And I have a feeling most of the people there working out feel the same. Our gym has a mix of overweight people (of varying sizes) and totally fit people. I am kinda in the middle . :)
  • 4n6babe
    4n6babe Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm tired of also being one of (or often THE) fattest people in the classes. And it does cross my mind from time to time, and some days I'm more aware of it than other days.

BUT instead of letting that be a totally negative feeling, I try to use it to motivate myself even more. "I'm TIRED of being the fattest person here, so I'm going to work extra hard and show everyone that I am changing!" (regardless of if they really notice me or not)

Even though I'm often still the biggest, I have already had several people I often see there come up to me and mention they notice a difference. That is a great feeling and I do the same thing to others. Its motivating and its awesome to make some friends during this weight loss journey.
  • Maracuya77
    Options
    Wow, you are beautiful! Well, you know...there's lots of people at the gym who are fit but probably self centered, conceited, selfish, rude, all that. You can work on being fit and just forget about them. There is more to your worth as a person than your weight. For example, I'm sure you're a down to earth, genuine, caring, giving and friendly individual. Just because someone is fit doesn't mean they are doing well in their lives, or even that they have good self esteems. What I'm saying is this: Focus on your health, and focus on your good traits. Don't worry about what you look like for now...the rest will come as you do it for your heart, do it for your lungs, your knees, your family. Don't worry about anyone else. You're a beautiful person the outside (exotic!) and I am sure you are on the inside as well.
  • SmileURLuved
    Options
    Don't think of it in a negative way.. Since I have lost weight, I have people come up to me all the time, stating they have seen me working out, and getting fitter, and that I inspired them to keep going,,, Think of yourself as the biggest motivator in the class, because that is who you are... Keep smiling, and you will soon be hearing the same positive compliments that I have been given...:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Bet you a buck that a good number of those beach bodies were in the same position as you at one time. They are just farther along in their journey. Do not let that discourage you. In fact, you should be inspired. I have been going to the gym recently and there is this woman who works out the same time as me. She is in amazing shape and she works out hard. I tell myself that I can be like her with diet and exercise.

Edited to add: bet you another buck that as you continue going to the gym, people will notice your dedication and respect you for it.
    Bet another buck that no one disses you for being fat, i bet in fact they are like, awesome shes working on it !
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    (this was posted in the forums a while ago - seemed appropriate to resurrect it)

Hey Fat Girl

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.

Wow, I love this.
  • Maracuya77
    Options
    By the way, I'm 258 lbs right now at 5'5. I am considered 'fattest' in most circles...but I know that my heart is true. I am working on self esteem and self worth, and I have to focus on my good traits..inside and out..my contributions to society and to my family....and just do this for my health. If you want to add me, please feel free to : )
  • HannahPendrigh
    HannahPendrigh Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    most of those people were probably the fattest person in the gym at one point!! use it as motivation instead of letting it put you off :) at least you're in the gym doing something about it instead of sitting in McDonalds scoffing burgers!! A really big woman has just joined my gym and I see her most days just walking on the treadmill. Instead of thinking 'what is she doing here?' I think 'good on ya girl!!' because she's working hard and doing something about her weight!! Just don't give up :)
  • Herbalifekim
    Options
    if their looking then who cares!!! You can do it!! So far I've lost 55 pounds! I feel stronger than ever and have TONS of energy! ~Kim
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how much you need or want to lose but please just stick with it. I know EXACTLY how you feel. I was that BIGGEST person in the class when I first started. I was the BIGGEST person in the class for a while. But guess what? Not anymore! It takes time but if you are consistent and determined you will and can make changes. I also know that when in class, others are not looking at you. THey are looking at themselves. And if they are looking at you....that is on them. The first ever class I took at my gym, I was so nervous. I got there and almost backed out....till I saw 2 old white haired ladies in their 70s waiting for the class to start! When I saw them, I said "oh hell no, if they can do this class, my fat azz can do it". I am so thankful they were there waiting for the class because I would have most likely not gone to class at all which means I would not be where I am today. The classes are fun and great workouts. They helped me stay focused and really it's like having a personal trainer that you don't have to pay for. I work out way harder in class than I do on my own. You can do this...do not worry about being the fattest...you are there for the same reason that they are....to be fit and in shape.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure sure noone is questioning why you are there! They are either feeling with you and thinking you go girl or they are embarrassed that you are better at something then they are :D
  • HortensiaD
    Options
    Sometimes its simply just us judging ourselves, our weight and our bodies, and nobody else at the gym really cares about it. We then become the person who is judging.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    ...WOW!...that's a fabulous excuse not to go to the gym...think I'll use it next time I want to veg out on the couch watching reruns of Here Comes Honey Boo Boo while stuffing my pie-hole with pork rinds and yoohoo.
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you! I completely understand where you are coming from. Now if you were to see another "fat" person would you be looking at them or would you be worried about what you are doing? When I see a pudgy person at the gym I just think way to go! They are there trying to get fit like I am. Just relax and do your thing. Try not to feel self conscience and just get you burn on!
  • nikbolok
    nikbolok Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Girl, you are great. You got out there and did it. So what if you consider yourself the fattest person at the gym, it's better than being the skinniest person on the couch!!! My experience is that no one looks at others at the gym. They are too dam focused on themselves to care.... If they are looking, they are interested and envious of your drive. I had to get over that at one point too, it will get easy don't worry :) Keep doing what you are doing!
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I just got back from the gym and I seen someone who was overweight and covered in sweat and you know what I thought? "wow he's really pushing himself! Why aren't I sweating more? Time to move faster!" The way I see it there are 2 types of extremes (regardless of size): the type who push themselves and see results and the type who basically walk around and do the minimum effort just to say they went to the gym. Which would you rather be? Keep putting in the effort and eventually you'll have that body you want :) Don't let your weight hold you back. :)
  • xXMollySarusXx
    Options
    If there are really fit people at your gym, that means they KNOW hard work, & perhaps they think highly of you for giving it your all to get in shape. Because there are a lot of overweight people (idk if you're one of them) who just don't do anything about their weight problem, and its sad. But you had the balls to get up off the couch & do something about it! Just try to remember that when you feel outta place. Also, it won't be long until you'll be one of them ;)
  • VogtAndrea
    VogtAndrea Posts: 236
    Options
    I get a few stares when I get out of the swimming pool and I don't do well in a gym where there are big mirrors and windows where people can see me. It's not about the others who are working out but the looky-loos. They bug me and I do feel a lot of them are passing judgement. It shouldn't matter to me though. Those people don't know where I'm coming from or what I'm dealing with. When I go walking around the town on the weekends or on days that I don't go to the pool, I just put on my ipod to tunes that I like to walk with and anyone watching me can "go hang". When I'm in the pool and doing aquafit or swimming laps, I feel the same way. Its only when I'm getting out that I feel that way.
    It's none of their business anyway, if they're critical. If they are thinking or saying supportive things, great!
    Either way, it's my path that I'm walking. I'm not going to let what others think, feel or say stop me from taking care of what I need to in order to be healthier. And neither should any of us who feel the stares of others while we're doing what we need to.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Another thing - look at the weight lost by all the amazing people on this thread. They were in the exact same place that you and I are at now. We'll catch up to them - pinky promise. :smile: