how do you stay motivated EVERY.SINGLE.DAY?

Options

Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I stay motivated by coming here and TRACKING EVERYTHING. I also set small goals for myself that are doable in a reasonable time frame (4-8 weeks) If I look at my end goal, it seems like it's so unnattainable I can easily be convinced to "start tomorrow" you're so far from goal anyways. It helps to see the big picture, but it's not that motivating when you're far away. I have mini goals in 5lb increments that really help me!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm trying something new...negative motivation. The more successful I am, the more some people in my life dislike me. I have decided I'm going to make them hate my guts when I stroll down the isle in a size 6 wedding dress :) hey, it got me motivated to shave 10 minutes of my walk last night by walking faster :flowerforyou:
  • jessannprice
    jessannprice Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I look at people's success stores on this site. Every. Single. Day. It helps me.

I tell myself everyday -- this isn't just a few months of dieting. I am committing to this for life. I will never go back. Once I hit my goal weight I will continue to track food and will still exercise 3 times a week.

:) I have lost 18 lbs since February 2013.. and I still feel very positive.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I'm trying something new...negative motivation. The more successful I am, the more some people in my life dislike me. I have decided I'm going to make them hate my guts when I stroll down the isle in a size 6 wedding dress :) hey, it got me motivated to shave 10 minutes of my walk last night by walking faster :flowerforyou:

It's bizzarre that people do that isn't it?
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    When my motivation starts to slip, I can look at a few things to keep me motivated:

- my monthly progress photos. I've made some amazing changes in a few months, and it would be foolish to let that go.
    - how I FEEL. I am stronger, more energetic, believe in myself more, I'm happier, more balanced (you get the picture).
    - I think of future pregnancies and how much better I will feel knowing I'm healthy and fit during and after them.
    - I think of the things I want to enjoy without being self-conscious in the future. I'd like to spend my summers as a 30-something wearing shorts :smile:
    - my husband. He's getting frustrated with his weight and I want to be able to show him that it is completely doable to rework your life to be fit without making drastic unsustainable changes. I'd also like to be able to go on runs with him when he decides it's time.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

It's bizzarre that people do that isn't it?

Especially when it's family
  • clownfear_7
    Options
    Is your weight goal in that amount of weeks for a reason? Sometimes it helps to have a goal that is not directly related to pounds. My goal is that I want to get in good enough shape to do a 5K mud run, specifically the runforyourlife.com zombie mud run. This allows me to set my sights on a goal that I am excited about and it has nothing to do with weight loss. It doesn't mean I don't keep an eye on it, but that is not my target. This type of goal is much more fun and keeps me going. I go to the gym in the morning and I get up at 5am. Once I'm on my feet then I'm good, so I don't give myself time to fall back to sleep. I get on my feet and then I'm good to go.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I was taking 6 different medications to control all the health related issues I had in the past. I don't want to go back to that, ever.

Pretty much in the same boat here...

My goals revolved around getting healthier...that included eating healthier and getting more exercise. In the process I got myself down to one medication and completely reversed a lot of nasty blood work....I also happened to have lost about 35 Lbs...but that is more of a bi-product of focusing on my nutrition and fitness. I think it's more difficult to stay motivated when goals largely revolve around seeing Lbs come off the scale and cosmetics. Like I said, I really think those things are more of a bi-product of focusing on your nutrition and fitness...

3 Rules:

- Eat more wholesome, natural, nutrient dense whole foods.

- Learn portion control

- move more

Ultimately, the rest will fall into place. When I substantially reduced my intake of junk foods and highly processed foods and started practicing portion control, my calories naturally fell in line. I logged everything, but didn't really have to..my diet (noun) was taking care of all of that naturally.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I think about the morning years ago when I woke up and realized I'd gained back much of the weight I'd previously lost. It's a painful memory that motivates me to not want to experience that feeling again.
  • Jeserabonne
    Options
    I want to be free when i study , go out , even wear clothes ! xD i want to practice my fav. Sport , volleyball , it even helps more! Above that all i want to be healthier n have a better life! :) well , u have to find a small one n then it will bring other motivations :D
  • Hlm103010
    Hlm103010 Posts: 39
    Options
    I've said this on many post and some people may get annoyed but I look at my little girl who is just starting to walk now and I want to be able to keep up wit her, I don't want to be the parent that can't run around with her child or that gets severely out of breath, she's my motivation to finally get my act together I want to be healthy and in her life for a long time!!
  • earvizu92
    earvizu92 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My motivation is the energy I feel after a good workout!!! :bigsmile:
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Strong motivation. If you are in it to win it, you will win, if not, well.....

Its not a diet to lose 25 lbs and then HOORAY nom nom nom

Welcome to the beginning of the next 75 years of your life. Change!
  • winodini
    winodini Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Results keep me going!
  • Fairlieboy
    Fairlieboy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    An article in the Australian media sort of sums it up.
    http://www.dailylife.com.au/health-and-fitness/dl-nutrition/fat-isnt-the-source-of-our-unhappiness-20130422-2i9a8.html

Has to be a lifestyle change. There are things that help. Friends. MFP. Eat foods. No food products. No fructose. Do it because you want health not sicknesses. And take time. There is no rush.
    And what I say to my friends. Took 20 years to put on 20 kg. Can take 20 months to take it off.
  • gettingtomygoal83
    gettingtomygoal83 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i agree i have a little herseys kiss or something else i that i want not every single day but almost lol.. and sometimes i have one day per week or evey other week where for supper ill have something that doesnt fit into my cals per day but that i really want and that helps this journey seem more relaxed and the fact i have friends and family who know what im doing and always ask me and compliement me how far i have comeso far helps, plus this is the longest i have ever stuck to getting myself healthy and dont want all this work for nothing! :)
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I try to remember how horrible I felt before starting and I WILL not feel that way again,. I feel fantastic eating healthy and exercising!
  • JoPowell83
    JoPowell83 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Perfectly worded! I love your outlook! :)
  • JoPowell83
    JoPowell83 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It IS difficult. I am generally an optimistic, enthusiastic and self-motivated individual, but even i have those days where i'm just like ".....meh...." Actually, i'm having one of those days today lol. I just remind myself how fantastic i'll look in a few weeks time, i think about how everyone will compliment me on how much weight i've lost, and i think about how great it will be to be able to wear a pair of shorts or a crop top this summer. I remind myself how miserable i feel when i look at the scales to see i've gained weight, or how guilty i feel after binging on chocolate or cake.

Failing that, exercise. Even just going for a walk. Release those happy, happy endorphins, they will help you feel motivated again!

I used to do exactly the same, lose a few pounds, get complacent, put it all back on. Allow yourself a cheat day; don't plan it, if you wake up with insatiable cravings then indulge, but only do it once a week. Eat as many different meals as you can, do different exercise classes, try and keep it fresh.

Good luck :)

I'm still new at this. This post is what I was talking about lol
  • bananasd09
    bananasd09 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just keep going. I'm fairly new to this but 5 weeks in I started eating poorly again for about 10 days in a row. I went out and bought myself 2 new sports bras. It motivated me to use them(working out)... and then followed the smarter eating habits again. :)
    I've read over and over that everyone one goes through ups and downs but as long as the ups are more frequent, you're doing great!