mapmyrun app

Options
Decided to test it out on a walk with my dog and the mileage was accurate but calories burned seemed to be very high. I'm 5'10 195 lbs, walked my dog 1.19 miles in 37 min and it said I burned 239 calories. Where I live is very hilly but this seems to be high. I did input my age, weight and height in. Has anyone had experience with this? Do u think the calories burned is too high? Greatest heightdiff was 162ft to 230 if that helps

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I know that generally, a person of 150-160 pounds burns 100 calories/mile, so that might not be too far off for you. It give me about that, which I think might be a bit high for me, but a treadmill site gives me the same, but MFP and SparkPeople give me about 75-80 calories a mile. When I use MapMyRun, I shave a few calories off when inputting it, I do the same with the treadmill calculator.
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I use Mapmyrun and a heart rate monitor and the mapmyrun estimates are always way off from my HRM.
  • dcone2001
    dcone2001 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ok I thought it was to high. I'll just use mfp estimate instead. Guess for my runs i'll just use the distance and time and input it in mfp. Thx for the input
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I walk about around 1.2 miles and Runkeeper gives me 150 calories burned, I am 5' 6" and 192 lbs, cross checking with my Garmin Forerunner 305 gives a similar figure so I think your app could be over estimating
  • dcone2001
    Options
    I walk about around 1.2 miles and Runkeeper gives me 150 calories burned, I am 5' 6" and 192 lbs, cross checking with my Garmin Forerunner 305 gives a similar figure so I think your app could be over estimating

Thx I'll have to check out runkeeper. Really want a good way of logging my calorie burn when running outdoors
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    There is a MapMyWalk app available too.
  • dcone2001
    Options
    I was testing it for my run tomorrow but I will just use the time and distance to calculate the calories burned.