how do you log insanity as exercise?

2»

Replies

• Right! If you don't have something helpful to offer than shut it.

I am being helpful. I'm making people aware of the dangers of serious injury going into something like this unprepared. If that isn't being helpful, then I don't know what is.

I have to kinda agree w/him. I loved doing Insanity but my knees were hurting and I couldn't keep my form properly while trying to stay w/Shawn T. When I saw my sports medicine doctor he said he sees a lot of injuries from PX90 (?), Insanity and Jillian Micheals. I like JM because seh takes the time to explain the proper way to complete a movement. Those exercises are very, very intense and if you are not as ready as you 'believe' you are, you could very seriously get hurt, so just becareful and see your doctor first!

But the same advise could have been offered without being condescending and rude... just saying...
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    I am looking for a good HRM or Watch that tracks calories burned. Any suggestions? Did Insanity month 1 last year and never purchased one. Thinking about starting again, but like you all, want to track my calories accurately. Thanks!

I just bought my Polar FT7 and I LOVE it!! It's a great HRM, lots of people rave about them.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    I am looking for a good HRM or Watch that tracks calories burned. Any suggestions? Did Insanity month 1 last year and never purchased one. Thinking about starting again, but like you all, want to track my calories accurately. Thanks!

I just bought my Polar FT7 and I LOVE it!! It's a great HRM, lots of people rave about them.

Is that just the wristband? I want a good one that's just a wristband. The one that goes around the chest seems like a pain for anyone with some boobage.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member

Is that just the wristband? I want a good one that's just a wristband. The one that goes around the chest seems like a pain for anyone with some boobage.

The chest strap is pretty much a must. Ones that are just a Wristband are not nearly as accurate (which is why they're also so cheap). They can't be by nature of the design. That's why Polar and Garmin, the companies known for making the best HRMs, don't make ones that are just the wristband. If you want accuracy in your logging, and thus, the whole point of using an HRM and not just going by MFP's estimates, you pretty much have to deal with the chest strap.
  • Awesome. Thanks so much!
  • pickle_button
    pickle_button Posts: 61 Member
    wow.. Thanks everybody, will heed all the advice!
  • Logging it under Calisthenics-vigorous or Circuit Training will give you the same calorie burn number and Aerobics will give you a lower calorie burn number...Just my 2 cents
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    I read through this entire thread and nobody posted what I think is the most helpful/accurate of anything besides HRM.

Check out this link. You choose the at-home workout program from the list, input your height and weight, and how long you did it for, and it gives you an estimate for calories burned. It seemed to be fairly close to the burns my friends were logging with HRM, so I think it is probably a reasonable estimating tool.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/food-fitness/exercise-activity/calories-burned-conditioning-exercises
  • jnh17
    I read through this entire thread and nobody posted what I think is the most helpful/accurate of anything besides HRM.

Check out this link. You choose the at-home workout program from the list, input your height and weight, and how long you did it for, and it gives you an estimate for calories burned. It seemed to be fairly close to the burns my friends were logging with HRM, so I think it is probably a reasonable estimating tool.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/food-fitness/exercise-activity/calories-burned-conditioning-exercises

Just so people can compare. I did max interval circuit and here were my burns on the different method:

HRM - 830 calories (got the one with the chest strap. Just thought I'd add that in there since I posted about it before)
    Logging as "Calistenics - vigorous" - 758
    Logging as "circuit training" - 758
    Using the calculator above - 963

If that website had a gender option, it'd probably be better. That sounds more like a man burn that a female.
  • Out of curiosity, how did you describe your "daily activity" for MFP when doing Insanity? Active. If it helps, I'm a student.

Dig deeper!
  • jnh17
    Out of curiosity, how did you describe your "daily activity" for MFP when doing Insanity? Active. If it helps, I'm a student.

Dig deeper!

What were the options? I was the option above the lowest. I work a desk job but have 3 kids so I never sit down and watch tv when I get home.
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    To log it accurately, get a heart rate monitor.. Then after the routine, go to "Track Excercise", "Add Excercise" then "My Exercises" (on menu bar up top) then "Create Exercise" You can input your time, your calorie burn and the exact name of the Insanity Routine you just finshed. Then next time, you can call it back up under "My Exercises" and just change the calorie burn, I got tired of inaccurate calorie counts here, so I do my own now for Insnaity, Les Mills Pump, and Combat.. Just like the old saying: You want a job done right, do it yourself. :) Good luck with it.. Insanity Rocks!!
  • ecampy1
    ecampy1 Posts: 3 Member
    I just put Tae Bo lol
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    In the past I used Aerobics High Intensity but I recently got a Polar FT80 which is a terrific HRM. It calculates a very similar number to my old method. The FT80 is a chest worn sensor, but you wear them below the "boobage" so I don't think it's a problem (+1 if you clicked on the profile; ya I know I'm a jerk). The chest worn sensor will drop out less than a wrist worn device, and after all, it's much closer to your heart that way.

For my own tracking purposes I created separate exercises for each dvd, and log the HRM numbers. In fact, I've extended month 1 this time simply because I want to gather more data with the HRM before going into month 2.

Alex, your daily activity level is meant to describe your non-exercise related activity level, NOT your workout. A deskbound office worker still has a light daily activity level whether they do Insanity or not. The idea is to capture all the moving around you do but don't implicity log as exercise and use that information to adjust your BRM to account for a typical day. A construction worker burns more during the day than a computer programmer. Workouts are then on top of that.
  • LisaMfit4life
    LisaMfit4life Posts: 567 Member
    Hi! I'm doing Insanity right now so I wear a HRM. Manually add the workout to the exercise base with your time and calories burned and that will give you the most accurate reading. There is no way to determine your calories burned unless you are wearing a device such as a HRM, Body Media or Fit bit or some other type of device. Hope this helps.
    LisaM
  • Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member
    I add it to the workout options, then select cardio, enter in the minutes, and enter in my calories burned from my HRM.

^^THIS :happy:
  • Luckily you did not respond to my question and belittle me at the time. It may have turned me off of this site altogether and then I would have missed out on all the benefits.

I highly doubt the guy was belittling the OP. He was giving friendly, firm advice.. I refuse to into Insanity again for right now, because as he said I know nothing of that advanced level right now. I know strength training, and cardio (I.E: Swimming, elliptical, running).. I tried Insanity, and I pulled 2 muscles pretty badly. I even did the pre-workout stretches as I do before anything.
    It's not a "here's something new, go ahead!" type of program. You have to be careful.
    As for "turning you off of this site", it's silly that comments from someone can make your ultimate decision on whether or not you want the help of the app/website. Talk about butt-hurt.

I may receive flame from this comment, but your reply to the guy trying to give advice irked me.

I'm not telling the OP to not do Insanity, but just be careful. I will do Insanity eventually. For now I'm sticking to my MMA trainer.

But yeah, as one guy said "add it to workout options, select cardio, enter minutes then enter the calories burned from the HRM."
  • xminer
    xminer Posts: 1
    http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/express/insanity-sanity-check-workout-dvd.do

Its too bad they don't include this in the Insanity box. But if you don't have it, I suggest you spend a week or so watching the regular videos, not working out, just studying the moves and working getting the form right. If you just watch and listen he gives ample instruction on the general form of the moves. IMO!
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Use heart rate monitor then *kitten* as your own under cardio and type in your stats
  • Check out the Insanity Log app by Pinnacle Apps Ltd, its great for keeping track of your results https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/insanity-log/id677364994?ls=1&mt=8