The worst meal I ever had was...

Options

Replies

• LizHR
    LizHR Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Two meals are stuck in my brain.

My Mum's curried sausages. Cheap nasty pork sausages, boiled so the fat comes out and the casing melts and creates a slimy sticky goo that has the consistency of snot (sorry), which is then flavoured with horrible chemical tasting 'Indian curry' powder that is not only a bright yellow/green shade (more snot similarity) but also adds a gritty texture. Truly revolting. Ate it a lot in my childhood - had one of those parents who made you stay at the table until you had eaten all your dinner so it was either a huge glass of water and choke it down, or a very late night . Believe me, eating cold curried sausages until midnight is no fun....

Oher one was in Turkey at a group lunch at the end of a bus tour during which the food at been routinely pretty bad. This was the pinnacle of the trip. . A huge pale grey/white lump of oily, boiled to death chicken, , skin still on plus a few feather stumps sticking out, that looked like a peice of human flesh. Accompanied by greasy boiled potates drowned in what tasted like engine oil and a pile of hard little not properly cooked frozen peas. I threw a big strop, as did quite a few others, and went over the road to a shop to buy crisps, chocolate bars and cakes instead. The joys of travelling.
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    I've had a few. I've had terrible Chinese food while in Tasmania (Australia), I ordered honey chicken which tasted like the just poured honey of some fried chicken (it's is called honey chicken but there's other stuff in the sauce the makes the honey flavour more subtle), I've had honey chicken that just tasted of soy in Malaysia too.

TWICE I've had no bacon in my bacon and egg McMuffin. I joked about having no bacon the second time too, then opened my McMuffin up and there was really no bacon in it.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I once had this weird Dutch salted candy thing. It tasted like watching Two and a Half Men feels

LOL! Dropies is what they're called. Heavily salted liquorice. You have to be Dutch to like them. I'm half Dutch and never really took to them myself. Personally, I think the main ingredients are tire rubber and road salt.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Worst made by a family member: My dad called it sh** on a shingle and said it was made in the army. It was ground beef with corn starch and onions on a piece of bread.

My mom makes what she calls "updated **** on a shingle" and it's really good, lol. It's essentially breakfast sausage and pepper gravy on top of toast. Delicious!
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    The worst meal I didn't have was a boyfriend's version of mac cheese.

Buy quick cook macaroni. The three minute kind. Then boil an entire packet it for twenty minutes until it resembles a pan of melted baby jellyfish. Add tomato soup. Then, stir in a pound and a half of the nastiest cheddar imitation I've ever encountered, the sort of geese that slides out of the packet on a slick of its own grease.

Slop this radioactively coloured filth onto the largest plate you can find. Until it is overflowing.

Then grate more cheese on the top. Because, you know, there's only a little bit inside.

Then wait five minutes for it to 'cool down so you can eat it quicker', at which point it is getting cold and the cheese is starting to congeal. Just like it's going to do around your heart.

Now you call your significant other for this wonderful, romantic meal.

And get upset when she tries one forkful and nearly barfs over the floor (as you've not bothered laying the table, this is to be shovelled down whilst sitting on the floor watching television.)

Ugh.

And to make matters worse, he put my plate in the fridge and reheated it later.

I have idiot exes.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    unflavored whey protein mixed with water tastes like semen

Yes but is the texture the same?!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    And the 'spaghetti' my then boyfriend made me which consisted of 2 minute noodles topped with ketchup and plastic cheese singles.

Please tell me you never let him in the kitchen again?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Worst made by a family member: My dad called it sh** on a shingle and said it was made in the army. It was ground beef with corn starch and onions on a piece of bread.

My mom makes what she calls "updated **** on a shingle" and it's really good, lol. It's essentially breakfast sausage and pepper gravy on top of toast. Delicious!

I love to make S.O.S! It comes out so yummy I have people lick the plates.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Conch with a side of macaroni and cheese from a box. I was on a tiny island and had no other options than to eat what was put in front of me.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I think my son wins the worst meal ever award when he was eating a hamburger at a restaurant and got halfway through before realizing there was no burger in there! LOL They forgot it.

Or perhaps my daughter wins for the time she found a turkey talon in the ground turkey in tacos or some casserole or something that I made with ground turkey.

Or the same daughter that found a gear from the equipment used to make the dough at a local pizza restaurant, in her pizza.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    Conch with a side of macaroni and cheese from a box. I was on a tiny island and had no other options than to eat what was put in front of me.

Cooked right, conch is absolutely delicious (assuming that this wasn't cooked right--you may just not have a taste for it.) But I'm from Florida, so maybe it's my nostalgia talking, haha.
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    I still remember a time with a friend when I was like 12 where we decided to do our own little version of fear factor, sorta. One thing was drinking this HORRIBLE concoction we made. It had pepsi, taco bell mild sauce, mustard, thawed banana popsicle, ketchup, and god only knows what else. Hands down, worst thing EVER.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Fish tacos....(I made terrible fish tacos)
    I also had a fish fajita platter at a diner, it tasted funny took 3 bites got food posioning for 4 days from 3 bites of food. The place closed down 2 weeks later.

Yeah...ordering fish at a diner = not a good idea. Sorry to read about your food poisoning, ugh!
  • danasings
    Options
    lunch that we tried at a place called 5 guys, the meal actually came out in a bag that was dripping with grease, the burgers were well done and all the juice had dripped out onto/into the bun and veggies, and the fries were so soggy from the grease that you could not even eat them. Needless to say we have never gone back again and tell all of our friends to stay away from that place but we have a few that actually like it

I will never eat at a 5 Guys again either. Disgusting. Similar experience...and yet we still know people that RAVE about their food.
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    Two meals are stuck in my brain.

My Mum's curried sausages. Cheap nasty pork sausages, boiled so the fat comes out and the casing melts and creates a slimy sticky goo that has the consistency of snot (sorry), which is then flavoured with horrible chemical tasting 'Indian curry' powder that is not only a bright yellow/green shade (more snot similarity) but also adds a gritty texture. Truly revolting. Ate it a lot in my childhood - had one of those parents who made you stay at the table until you had eaten all your dinner so it was either a huge glass of water and choke it down, or a very late night . Believe me, eating cold curried sausages until midnight is no fun....

Oher one was in Turkey at a group lunch at the end of a bus tour during which the food at been routinely pretty bad. This was the pinnacle of the trip. . A huge pale grey/white lump of oily, boiled to death chicken, , skin still on plus a few feather stumps sticking out, that looked like a peice of human flesh. Accompanied by greasy boiled potates drowned in what tasted like engine oil and a pile of hard little not properly cooked frozen peas. I threw a big strop, as did quite a few others, and went over the road to a shop to buy crisps, chocolate bars and cakes instead. The joys of travelling.

Man do I remember my late nights spent at the kitchen table... Told my aunt once that I was NOT going to eat brussel sprouts because they were nasty. My punishment? Sitting at the kitchen table for hours trying to get them down. I'd never tried them but I did that night and they were nasty. Even worse when you tried to wash them down with super sweet tea. Ick!
  • danasings
    Options
    Or the same daughter that found a gear from the equipment used to make the dough at a local pizza restaurant, in her pizza.

Oh my goodness! I was once served a frozen margarita with a piece of the blender's blade in it. That was fun.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    We went to France for the day and got lost most of the time, drove around endlessly. Didn't eat all day.

Got on the ferry on the way home and went to the cafe on there, the food was disgusting, I don't even remember what it was supposed to be. It looked like vomit, I tried it but I couldn't eat it.

*shuddering* at the memory.
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Ketchup Chips.

I haven't even had them yet, but I am pretty sure they are going to be terrible.

ummmm i like em LOL
  • knitbytes
    knitbytes Posts: 114
    Options
    Wow. Some of these are agonizingly horrifying.

The worst meal I've ever had was actually in Cambodia, in a floating restaurant in the middle of Tonle Sap Lake. The menu wasn't very detailed (and only in Khmer, so I didn't understand most of it) but I ordered something that from what I could tell was called "Chicken and Vegetable dish". It was... possibly chicken? But I don't know of any chicken that has parts that look like what I was served. One ...object was, from all appearances, part of the esophagus. Not exactly appealing.
  • Project_Jodie
    Options
    I'm from australia and travelled int the US for for 4 weeks - it was so much fun! We were in Vegas and went to Hooters for dinner one night, everything was ridiculously oily and deepfried and the fake cheese that is squirted over everything was foul! Never ever again!