Hurt knees - can't exercise much-HELP!

Options
Thanks for being willing to read this! I think it's great the way people reach out to help each other. I have been on MFP for almost two months now - and have struggled to lose almost five pounds.
I have been doing the 30 day shred and then moved onto Insanity. Everything was going great and the scale was going down and then I did the fitness test on Monday ( during the power squats, I think) I hurt my knees. Badly. They ache almost all the time. I am applying ice and heat, taking ibuprophen and using icy hot. They hurt just walking around.
I went to the doctor today and he said no high impact for at least two weeks - stop if it hurts. Eliptical is okay and stationary bike - which I plan on doing tomorrow - carefully at home.
I am just so frustrated - the scale was finally starting to move down and I was happy working out. Now the scale is climbing and there is a part of me that wants to give up. (Mind you, this is not the first time I have tired to lose weight - if I had a nickel for every time I have lost the same 7 pounds. . .)
Any suggestions for exercises while I am waiting for the knees to heal? I need to find a way to burn calories. . I am not flexible in any way (I am thinking about joining LA fitness just for a month to use the pool but it would be hard to get there in the AM before work. Thanks in advance for the suggestions and ideas. I am so ready to give up!

Replies

• cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Don't exercise. Focus on your diet and calories instead while your body hurts. After a week, start walking as long as you can without hurting your knees.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    After a week, start walking as long as you can without hurting your knees.

SO what he is trying to say is if you end up walking around the world, twice, and your knees still dont hurt, keep on goin
  • strawberriekt24
    strawberriekt24 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!

I would definitely recommend the pool to you. I had a knee injury in September and I couldn't even do the elliptical. It was much easier on my knee to use the pool while I healed. If you are having trouble going in the morning, would it be possible to go after work or later at night?
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of in the same spot. I have an old knee injury and it's been acting up lately and clicking again. My pain is mostly in the bend of a squat. They ache!
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    After a week, start walking as long as you can without hurting your knees.

SO what he is trying to say is if you end up walking around the world, twice, and your knees still dont hurt, keep on goin

QFT

ETA: OP, knee pads helped me out if walking isn't your thing.
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I really like leslie Sasaone walk at home work outs. very low impact but at least you would be moving!
  • mickey2168
    mickey2168 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thanks for the ideas everyone - I think the hardest thing is I can't eat much because I can't get much exercise. So I am either hungry (and cranky) or I go over. Thanks for the suggestion about the pool - hoping to do that on the weekend!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I have completely effed up knees, and have for about 13 years, so I feel your pain (probably literally!)

I walk... a lot. Make sure your diet is up to par, because that will be a huge thing for you in the long run. If you want to strength train, work with a trainer to get exercises that you can do without hurting yourself, and also modifications. Don't be afraid to modify things, as long as you're keeping proper form and not hurting yourself :)
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thanks for the ideas everyone - I think the hardest thing is I can't eat much because I can't get much exercise. So I am either hungry (and cranky) or I go over. Thanks for the suggestion about the pool - hoping to do that on the weekend!

Are you suuuure you're eating enough? You shouldn't be hungry!
  • Terry903
    Terry903 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Do the bike and walk. Take care of yourself. Richard Simmons.... remember him? ... got someone to loose weight just moving their arms as I remember.. Shake your booty in the kitchen when your making food. I think motion matters as far as burning calories.
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Chair exercises, stretch bands of any kind, hand weights, ditto on the pool!
  • karlalband
    Options
    I think this is a good idea!
  • Gracen2tap
    Options
    What about swimming? Is there an indoor pool you can use? I have bad knees also, and you feel so much better when you are in warm water and floating or swimming. I believe that you can actually burn up to 600 calories an hour if you swim. So even if you swim like 1/2 hour, you're burning 300 calories! I find if I swim three times a week, and walk each day, that helps - I also struggle with losing weight, I have a slow metabolism.
  • karlalband
    Options
    Don't exercise. Focus on your diet and calories instead while your body hurts. After a week, start walking as long as you can without hurting your knees.
    I think this is a good idea and will help focus on healthier eating, which is what I need to do!
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    Move your arms. Do punches, etc. They'll get your heart rate up.
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I hurt my knee a while back too and a doctor I talked to told me "motion is lotion" - she said move, but only to your comfort level - the last thing you want to do is rest it too much because then it can stiffen up and bother you more when you try to exercise. A knee brace can be a helpful support (although with my fat legs I just found it uncomfortable and it wanted to roll down my thigh). However, you also don't want to push your knee too hard - no squats, running and maybe even leave out the weight lifting (if you do it) for a week or so until it feels better. But light exercise or low-impact - such as the elliptical or pool exercising - are perfect. It will ache, but if it hurts too bad, then yes, stop and find something that does not cause such pain as to tell you to stop.

So, my knee ached for 2-3 weeks but I did what I could and still managed to exercise some and lose weight.

Of course I don't know the nature of your injury so it might be different than mine (I fell and when I did, a rock struck the tendon that runs just under my patella) and if you've seen your doctor and he or she told you something other than what I'm telling you, then follow that advice.
  • lamarsha1982
    Options
    Dont give UP... im in the military and i cant run because of my knees.. definitely rest your knees.. you do not want to run the risk of prolonging the injury..please, please dont look at the scale..it will be disappointing...continue to do knee stretches..and also do knee extensions if you can that will help your knee heal.. and like everyone said WALK...trust me that helps alot.. you may not burn calories as fast but dont let that discourage you..watch you calorie intake.. just dont give up..you have a little set back..but as long as you stay active you will continue to burn calories and gradually you will be able to run again.. just stay active..:happy:
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have one bad knee from a work injury ages ago but have no problem using a stationary bike or swimming. Less impact to the injury than even walking. Maybe try these for the first week and than some walking after the knee has had a chance to heal. All the best. ~