Suggestions for plantar fascitis treatment

Options
jaja76
jaja76 Posts: 31 Member
I'm running my first 5k this weekend and I've had pain in the arch of my foot since my trial run on Monday. I've been icing it and stretching my foot since then when I can. I still plan on participating in the 5k and was curious if anyone had any other suggestions. Thanks!

Replies

• joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I have read placing a tennis ball on the floor and massaging your foot over it can help. I am having some pain too and running a half marathon in 2 weeks so will be watching this thread for useful tips.
  • EastFork
    EastFork Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Try freezing a bottle of water and rolling the arch of your foot over it.
  • jaja76
    jaja76 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll give those a try.
  • Terry903
    Terry903 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Tennis ball will help and put your feet flat on the floor and use your toes to walk them forward on the floor.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I am assuming you have had your feet checked and have appropriate orthotics? My father has high arches and never could get rid of foot pain in 40years of skiing... he just had special orthotics made recently and now he can't even feel his boots!
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Usually, I go see the Dr who writes me a script, & it fades in about 18 hrs.
  • backpacker44
    backpacker44 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have read placing a tennis ball on the floor and massaging your foot over it can help. I am having some pain too and running a half marathon in 2 weeks so will be watching this thread for useful tips.

Yep. I do this and it works.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    The frozen ice bottles will be good. Stand with your toes on a step and drop your heels over so you feel the stretch in your calves for 30 seconds to a minute. If it persists, see a doctor and make sure you have been properly fitted for running shoes.
  • DirtyTrickster
    DirtyTrickster Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Cortisone injections.
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I had an 18 month battle with plantar fascitis, take the time to treat it now don't let it go. I didn't rest it soon enough after it start to flare up and it took a good 18 months to be pain free. I ended up in a cast for 6 weeks and that finally did it. I chose to not do a cortisone shot...my Dr said cortisone doesn't help with stupid, meaning I'd feel better right away and over do it and hurt myself worse, the cast slowed me down and took the strain off my foot.

Now I use a frozen water bottle after every run, and roll it firmly under my foot.
    I see a massage therapist regularly to keep my legs and foot good. keeping the calves relaxed makes a big difference.
    I also use a sock splint at night when it's threatening to act up. (looks stupid but really helps)
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I suggest getting some inserts and never go barefoot. Hopefully the running won't make it worse. I had an extreme case and it is nothing to take lightly..
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I got orthopedic inserts from a foot care store. Hasn't been a problem since.
  • holliwood322
    holliwood322 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i have been recovering from PF for almost a year now. my pain was more in my heel. did alot of reading and research. get online and get a foot splint to keep your foot in a flat position (like standing) that keeps your foot stretched even during sleep and the tendon heals while in the stretched position. do you get up in the morning and limp for the first 10-15 min? typical. it is hard to heal since you constantly re-injure the tendon. not unusual to take up to a year or more to heal this. especially for active people. the night splint has helped me alot. good luck. keep reading and treat it aggressively. worst scenario, my foot doc says they do surgery to snip the tendon to relieve the pressure. NOT a good idea according to my PT. he says those people end up with arthritis later in life. best to get off the foot as much as possible to let it heal. ice, foot splint, deep heat. good luck! :drinker:
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    Cortisone injections.
    My podiatrist doesn't recommend cortisone injections for the arch when running. There is a chance of blowing out the ligament.

As others have said, rolling your arch on ice water bottles is great for this, but I also second those who mentioned orthotics. You don't have to get the expensive, custom made ones. Superfeet makes excellent ones (http://www.superfeet.com/). I use the green ones and they're great. Also recommended are wearing slippers around the house that are made especially for people with arch and heel pain. I just bought a pair from Orthoheel (http://www.orthaheelusa.com/) and they're amazing.
  • bvandolah
    Options
    See a chiropractor that does active release technique.
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    Go to a place named "GOOD FEET". After getting to where I could no-longer walk without crutches. I went to the GOOD FEET store in Sea Side, CA. and walked out pain free with my custom made arch supports. They will try and sell you two different kinds one as a temporary to get your feet acustomed to them. These you do not need. Just get the final ones. Take your shoes with you that you wear because they fit them to your foot while you wait. They have stores nation wide which you can locate online.
  • LittleFish79
    Options
    I am not a runner, but I have had such a flare-up in the past. What helped me were: massages & arch supports for my high arches. Took awhile, but thank goodness -- it worked! GOOD LUCK!
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options

I went the other way. A lot of time and effort put into building strong feet by walking around barefoot or in minimal shoes.

But as a short term solution go the frozen water bottle route.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

I went the other way. A lot of time and effort put into building strong feet by walking around barefoot or in minimal shoes.

But as a short term solution go the frozen water bottle route.

^This, or instead of a frozen bottle, golf balls work well.

I fixed mine by running consistently in vibram five fingers. I'm now transitioning to new balance shoes, trying to build my ability to run in off the shelf stuff. I think for me it was a biomechanics issue, I was heel striking. The vibrams made me midsole strike.

xiao long bao are some of the tastiest things in the world of dim sum.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    First off have you been dx with PF by a foot doc? I had PF for over 18 months (did it all: split, walking cast, rolling and icing, etc.) The best thing that ever worked was deep tissue massage of the offending foot. This provided pain free bouts that lasted a few weeks at a time.
    In my case my bout of PF was followed by a neuroma in the same foot (why I'm asking if you foot pain has been properly dx). I couldn't even walk a mile and I am generally an active person. For that I turned to Cortisone shots which helped me be pain free a couple of months at a time. Had a few rounds of these but it isn't something you can rely on forever because the steroid thins the tissues and may cause tearing. Neuromas never get better, they are enlarged thickened nerve tissue.
    Finally, I had surgery. And after 10 months to a full recovery I was pain free once again and now I am able to run and walk, jump etc with out any foot pain. I wear arch supports in my exercise shoes but also walk bear foot too.

For strictly PF few people need surgery but some do end up going that route. Also PF sometimes leads to bone spurs on the back of the heel.