how to become vegetarian on a budget?????

Options
how to become vegetarian on a budget?????

Replies

• tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    If this isn't a joke maybe shop daily for freshness and what you need for the day. I know I waste a lot of food because I shop for the week and by the time I go to use it, it's bad.
  • thestrawberrysays
    thestrawberrysays Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    How do you do *any* diet on a budget? It's really no different than a diet that includes meat. In fact, you should start saving on a vegetarian diet because of the price of meat. Cut out processed food and start cooking. Quinoa, rice, lentils and dried beans are always things that I have on hand. Inexpensive and they go a long way. I stopped buying condiments and make my own now.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I would think going vegetarian on a budget would be very doable. Meat is expensive and meat substitutes are pretty reasonably priced (tofu, tempeh, TVP, beans, etc.).
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I actually spent far less money on food going vegetarian since meat was so expensive. Just buy foods you like that are meat-free...replace the meat in foods with a vegetarian alternative like beans or veggie substitutes (in moderation if you are worried about salt and processing).
  • bostongeek
    bostongeek Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    beans + rice
    sautee some veggies and throw them on top

Not a vegetarian but I date one, and that's our go-to cheap meal.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Because vegetarian diets use a lot of beans, buy dry beans, not canned, and cook them yourself (lots of recipes about doing them in a crock pot, just Google it). They're MUCH cheaper and you get sooooooo much more for the cost.

*I'm a vegetarian and use lots of beans. Love them! :smile:
  • dwhitmoyer
    dwhitmoyer Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The harder thing for me is to be on a low carb diet to lose weight and stay vegetarian. My favorite meal is farro, butternut squash and kale but the carbs are out there.
  • KolaCabana
    KolaCabana Posts: 19
    Options
    How do you do *any* diet on a budget? It's really no different than a diet that includes meat. In fact, you should start saving on a vegetarian diet because of the price of meat. Cut out processed food and start cooking. Quinoa, rice, lentils and dried beans are always things that I have on hand. Inexpensive and they go a long way. I stopped buying condiments and make my own now.

bump