Options
mlauraa
mlauraa Posts: 166 Member
I am curious to know :-)

Replies

• Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I have only had the vanilla unsweetened kind and it is yummy! I drink it in my protein shakes and I eat it on my cereal as well.
  • crissykclai
    Options
    It's an acquired taste, but I love it! Vanilla, plain, chocolate...it's got just the right sweetness for me. My husband was use to soy, which is way sweeter to me, but after a few weeks he switched too. Haven't had any other type of milk in our home in almost two years. You can even make your own at home.
  • mlauraa
    Options
    I have only had the vanilla unsweetened kind and it is yummy! I drink it in my protein shakes and I eat it on my cereal as well.

What Brand?
  • kemelander
    Options
    I use it in my shakes, but over cereal YUK!! :)
  • saranl3293
    saranl3293 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, and I was reading up on the nutrition of it. Can anyone suggest a good brand?
  • thestrawberrysays
    thestrawberrysays Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm sure someone out there thinks that it's terrible for you, but I prefer it over soy. I drink unsweetened.
  • royvor
    royvor Posts: 271
    Options
    I think it depends on the brand you try. Some are unsweetened and some are sweetened with more calories. I was so used to regular milk that it took me time to get used to the lightness of how it feels. But truly I think we can adapt to anything and I have now aquired a taste and only drink almond milk. Try buying it and tasting it to see if you might like it. If you don''t like it the first time give it a couple of days and you get used to it. Hope this helps.
  • kaylacollinscna
    kaylacollinscna Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I use Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk in my shakes, but I haven't had it plain yet.
    I tried the same brand's chocolate milk but I didn't like it at all. It seems that they only have dark chocolate milk available for almond milk, at least at my Walmart. For chocolate milk I drink Silk Chocolate Soy Milk (Light). 90 calories and it's delicious! :)
  • mlauraa
    Options
    thanks you guys i will most definetly try both almond and soy and see which i like best!
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I normally get Silk. And for some reason... its cheaper in the cooler/dairy dept of my store, they have it on the shelf too, but its like a dollar more there? weird.
  • blondley
    blondley Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The Blue Diamond Almond Breeze is my favorite. I like them all, sweetened, unsweetened, and the new coconut milk/almond milk blend is really good too!
  • kaylacollinscna
    kaylacollinscna Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I normally get Silk. And for some reason... its cheaper in the cooler/dairy dept of my store, they have it on the shelf too, but its like a dollar more there? weird.

That's weird, I've never seen it on the shelf. :huh: I'll have to see if I can find it next time, heh. I don't know, I wouldn't trust a "milk" that wasn't in the cooler/dairy department. Maybe almond and soy milk doesn't need to be refrigerated though... I don't know. :o

Does anyone know where to get coconut milk, by the way? I can't seem to find it in the dairy aisle at my Walmart where all the other alternative dairy products are.
  • nellysaurus88
    nellysaurus88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    omg yes yes yes to this! the blue diamond coconut blend has made me love cereal now.
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I love it. Have trouble for some reason with the Silk brands, but the Blue Diamond works for me without any tummy troubles. (And those might be more mental than actual, since I don't handle SOY milk at all!)

I use it in my smoothies, pour it over my cereal, just about any place you can use real milk. The only time it doesn't work is if you are making puddings... something in the almond milk keeps those from setting up right.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options

That's weird, I've never seen it on the shelf. :huh: I'll have to see if I can find it next time, heh. I don't know, I wouldn't trust a "milk" that wasn't in the cooler/dairy department. Maybe almond and soy milk doesn't need to be refrigerated though... I don't know. :o

Does anyone know where to get coconut milk, by the way? I can't seem to find it in the dairy aisle at my Walmart where all the other alternative dairy products are.

Refrigerated Coconut milk like SoDelicious should be with the soy and almond milk. Try a different/better grocery store (not hating, I shop at walmart too, but not actually sure if I've ever seen the coconut milk there. I usually get it at the local chain grocery.)

I think SoDelicious has shelf stable coconut milk too. On the shelf milk isn't too weird, it's like Parmalat. You have to refrigerate it once you open it. I've bought soymilk off the shelf before and it tasted fine.

My favorite almond milk is the Blue Diamond Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze. Funny enough, it's the cheapest brand where I shop. In all honesty I think it tastes the same as Silk and generic.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I can not stand the taste of regular milk (and can't stomache it either... get sick) I have tried 2 kinds now. The Blue diamond breeze vanilla almond unsweetened milk and the Silk unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

I personally like the Blue diamond way better. Have the silk in fridge now and have to kinda choke it down. The silk is very almondy smelling and a little thicker. Strong taste of almonds. The Blue Diamond is not as thick and doesn't have that over powering smell of almonds nor the strong taste of almonds. I won't be purchasing the Silk again. Think I will stick with the Blue diamond Breeze. I really like this one and I like all the Calcium, Vitamin D in the almond milk too :) I have only drank the unsweetened almond with vanilla too.

Almond milk is actually a non dairy item (not from an animal). So it can be bought on shelf or in cooler. I don't like Walmart for the almond milk, not much variety. I get mind at Kroger. It is in two spots too. the regular coolers where milk is kept, but it is also down by the produce a little down from the bagged salads and mushrooms.

Also, the coconut milk is right next to the almond milk in produce dept at Krogers. I haven't tried it yet, but plan on it soon.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Love it on cereal or in protein shakes, use it for baking too. I do not like it by itself. The sweetened kind is way too sweet for me. (I use Silk's brand, the unsweetened vanilla.)
  • Sandraleigh87
    Sandraleigh87 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yup!! Give it a try!!
  • mlauraa
    Options
    omg yes yes yes to this! the blue diamond coconut blend has made me love cereal now.
    this sounds delicious def. need to find it!
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Yes! I make my own, tastes a lot better I've found..

1 cup almonds
    3-4 cup water
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tbs cinnamon

I blend it in my vitamix and then strain it through a cheese cloth.

Voila! Fresh almond milk.